Spyder Garage

Default Another Tire Question

I recently purchased a 2009 RS SE5. I replaced the rear Kenda with a Kumho Ecsta 225/50r15 tire and I'm very happy with it. The front tires have plenty of tread left at 15,000 miles, but they're obviously the original tires - they have date codes showing they were manufactured in 2009. I don't like running tires that are more than 7 years old. I want to use something other than Kenda for replacements.

I've searched and found a few threads on front tires - my question is this: I saw a few old posts about using a 175/65r14 to replace the original 165/65r14 tires. But, I haven't found any recent threads or follow-up posts on this tire size. Does it work well? Any concerns? I can get 165/65r14 Bridgestone tires, but there are more options in the 175/65r14 size.
    2009 Spyder Roadster
    Full-time in a 2003 Alpine Coach
    40' motorhome - we live where we're parked

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm a (relatively ) firm believer in staying with the OEM sizes. Bridgestone's Potenza has proven to be a pretty darn good replacement tire.
    But if your Kendas are doing that good of a job up front; why not just stay with the OEM?
    Is it the pricing???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Oh no..!!

I don't do tires... but you can get 30,000 out of the kenda fronts and unless you have signs of dry rot I would ryde them out. jmo
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I'm not a fan of the Kenda tires. IMHO they are low grade Chinese tires sold at a premium price. BRP teamed up with Kenda for OEM and replacement supply strictly for the $$$ they can make. BRP tries to convince us these are "special" motorcycle tires - they're not motorcycle tires and a Spyder isn't a motorcycle. BRP and Kenda don't publish actual diameters - they don't want us to know what's out there to replace it with.

I spent my career working for a European auto manufacturer in technical service and quality. I understand how these things work and I understand tire construction.

Thanks for the replies but I'm looking for feedback from someone that has run 175/65r14 tires on the front of their GS/RS.
    Last edited by Koop; 03-09-2016 at 02:54 PM.
    2009 Spyder Roadster

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I don't do tires... but you can get 30,000 out of the kenda fronts and unless you have signs of dry rot I would ryde them out. jmo
    I agree. The 14" Kenda front tires were actually pretty good.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Not much difference in those two tires you can check it out on this website

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...5r14-175-65r14

Spyder Garage

It's the age of the front tires that is prompting me to replace them. Sidewall cracks aren't the only thing that cause tires to "age out." Here's a link to a NTSB presentation.
    2009 Spyder Roadster

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CMA/IBA_rider View Post
    Not much difference in those two tires you can check it out on this website

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...5r14-175-65r14

Thanks for the link! Good info - although there can be differences from manufacturer to manufacturer even though they carry the same size designation. But, as you point out - the difference is pretty small.
    2009 Spyder Roadster

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 03-08-2016 at 08:39 PM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE RATINGS

......I can't comment on the Dunlop or Federal ......But the Bridgestone above had some of - if not the worst performance ratings of any tire I have checked in the past two years.........really .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Koop View Post
    It's the age of the front tires that is prompting me to replace them. Sidewall cracks aren't the only thing that cause tires to "age out." Here's a link to a NTSB presentation.
    Thanks for posting that very important link. The information provided in that NTSB link is critical, and every vehicle owner or operator should be aware of it. When I was still working, we had a small fleet of vehicles used for a classified government mission. They were very low mileage. I started asking for permission to replace the tires and radiator/heater hoses at about the five year point - and kept getting turned down. I scheduled a meeting with the government senior executive (SES) who managed our program, and brought a guy from NTSB with me - he briefed my SES on this very subject - and I got my new tires and hoses.

Rubber wears out, just sitting on the shelf or on the vehicle, even when mileage is very low. Old tires kill.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

people buy these big motor coaches with low miles tires look new but way out of date. try replacing 6 or 8 of those babies. or sport looks cheap now

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kbwitt View Post
    people buy these big motor coaches with low miles tires look new but way out of date. try replacing 6 or 8 of those babies. or sport looks cheap now
    Yep - tires for my motorhome are over $500/each and I'll never wear them out. After 7 years they'll still look great but they'll get replaced.
    2009 Spyder Roadster

Spyder Garage

Default Front tire experience

My OEM's went south quickly due to bad alignment. I replaced them with Falken ZEIX ZE512's in 185/60 - 14 largely because of availability at the time. They were a b***** to fit into the fender space. Removing the mud flaps would help a lot. I really can't notice a difference in handling and will go back closer to OEM size next time. After a few K miles I had the laser alignment done by Squared Away but the tires already showed uneven wear so I still dance on some road seams.

If I decide keep this Spyder for a long time I may spring for new tires soon. It's an '09 RS SE5 with 14K miles and going strong.

Just another example to throw into the mix. Enjoy the search.

Spyder Garage

I had 175/65R14 Kumho Solus TA11 tires mounted today. Getting the wheels back onto the Spyder was a chore. I removed the mudguards and had to finagle the wheels onto the lug studs to get them under the fenders. Clearance is tight but doable. So far, I'd have to say they are very smooth and I like the grip level. I replaced the original tires due to the 0309 (calendar week 3 of 2009) manufacturing date. Looking at the tread on the directional Kumhos and reading the reviews, I think this will be a superior tire, especially in wet conditions.
    2009 Spyder Roadster

Spyder Garage

I had 175/65R14 Kumho Solus TA11 tires mounted today. Getting the wheels back onto the Spyder was a chore. I removed the mudguards and had to finagle the wheels onto the lug studs to get them under the fenders. Clearance is tight but doable. So far, I'd have to say they are very smooth and I like the grip level. I replaced the original tires due to the 0309 (calendar week 3 of 2009) manufacturing date. Looking at the tread on the directional Kumhos and reading the reviews, I think this will be a superior tire, especially in wet conditions.
    I just had the rear tire done and went with the OEM Kenda. But these Kumho tires that you just put on are the ones I am lookin at to replace the fronts. I was not impressed with the OEM fronts and do not want to put another set on, but I was wondering about possible clearance issues. Thanks for the info, Koop! Appreciate it.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

I am running the General Altimax RT 43 on the rear of the spyder, and I am running 26psi. New tire was put on @ 5824 miles. I like it, and it is my 2nd motorcycle riding season with it. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    I just had the rear tire done and went with the OEM Kenda. But these Kumho tires that you just put on are the ones I am lookin at to replace the fronts. I was not impressed with the OEM fronts and do not want to put another set on, but I was wondering about possible clearance issues. Thanks for the info, Koop! Appreciate it.
    I'm very happy with the Kumho Solus tires. The fit works on our 2009 RS. My wife remarked about how good they felt after she took a 40 mile ride yesterday.
    2009 Spyder Roadster

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have the same tires on my 09 and they have 54k on them with plenty of tread left

Spyder Garage

I thought I was happy with the performance of the original Kenda front tires . At 20,000 miles they still had a lot of tread life left but I was starting to experience some front end vibration. Rebalancing may have cured the vibration. I installed the same size Bridgestone Potenza's about 1000 miles ago. I can't say how the wet road performance is but so far on dry pavement it is a huge improvement over the Kendas. I'm running with 24 psi.