Spyder Garage

Default Paddle Shift/ Check Transmission Problems on 2012 RS

Looking for some feedback regarding any problems riders have experienced with the SE-5 Paddle Shift. Picked up my 2012 RS end of last season after a tire
    change and had the Check Transmission light come on. Ran the usual steps and problem disappeared. Back on the bike this season and I am now having the
    Check Transmission light come and go at whim. Trying to narrow down the problem and it appears I am beginning to have problems with the paddle allowing any shifting between gears. Again...unpredictable. Rode 4 hrs today and noticed it would occasionally take two taps on the paddle to shift from 1st gear to 2nd and check transmission light would come on and then disappear. It also started to appear between 2nd,3rd, and 4th gear. Light would come on and occasionally take a couple of tries to get a shift into the next gear.

I seem to recall reading there was a problem with Faulty Paddle Switches but can not remember what models years or if there was a recall.

Help is appreciated.

Spyder Garage

I don't know about a recall, but I plan to change mine out tomorrow. I have had the same symtoms as you for some time now and recently it has become simply unbearable. And since I have had the switch in my garage since last summer, I'm going to change it before the real riding season begins. The switch is only available from BRP and costs, if I recall correctly, $158.00 US + shipping.

Good luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you checked the oil level yet?
    Seriously: these bikes manifest a low oil condition situation by starting to shift "wonky"...
    I've heard some folks say that a rear tire change can cause some error lights to take off...
    But I'm not sure if it's for the transmission or not...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...

Have heard some problems with the paddle ****er but not many. As Bob said oil is the first step. Positive shifting (not a light tap) has helped some but the tire change usually gets brake light issues.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep, check the oil. If it's low paddle shift is very unhappy, and mine 'came and went' just like yours, oil top up fixed it. Hope that's all it is.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SHIFTING

Check oil, but it sounds like the paddle.................been there done that.......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks to all for the input

Thanks for your input regarding my paddle shift problem. Oil has been checked and not a problem. Right on the mark. I'll check it again. Wondering if it is actual paddle and if there is any manual adjustment that can be made. I did notice a screw just under the handle that is to the right of the paddle shift itself. Thought this might also be creating the problem and plan to check it tomorrow. Bike still under warranty so off to the Dealer if it cannot be fixed here.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE PADDLE

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderwoman View Post
    Thanks for your input regarding my paddle shift problem. Oil has been checked and not a problem. Right on the mark. I'll check it again. Wondering if it is actual paddle and if there is any manual adjustment that can be made. I did notice a screw just under the handle that is to the right of the paddle shift itself. Thought this might also be creating the problem and plan to check it tomorrow. Bike still under warranty so off to the Dealer if it cannot be fixed here.
    ..Be very careful, things inside will come apart and you better know how it all goes back together......I don't think there was any adjustment possible........Mine went bad, because the electronic signal it was supposed to send to the transmission became inconsistent...........It was finally replaced under warranty.....good luck....Mike

Spyder Garage

Replaced the paddle shifter assembly on Monday. Rode to work yesterday and it worked like a charm. 2.5 hr install using every shortcut I could think of. If I had used the shop manual, it would have taken about an hour less.

Registered Users sypderrobinson134's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Paddle Shift/ Check Transmission Problems on 2012 RS

Looking for some feedback regarding any problems riders have experienced with the SE-5 Paddle Shift. Picked up my 2012 RS end of last season after a tire
    change and had the Check Transmission light come on. Ran the usual steps and problem disappeared. Back on the bike this season and I am now having the
    Check Transmission light come and go at whim. Trying to narrow down the problem and it appears I am beginning to have problems with the paddle allowing any shifting between gears. Again...unpredictable. Rode 4 hrs today and noticed it would occasionally take two taps on the paddle to shift from 1st gear to 2nd and check transmission light would come on and then disappear. It also started to appear between 2nd,3rd, and 4th gear. Light would come on and occasionally take a couple of tries to get a shift into the next gear.

I seem to recall reading there was a problem with Faulty Paddle Switches but can not remember what models years or if there was a recall.

Help is appreciated.
    I had that exact problem a couple years ago. On a 2012 rs as a matter of fact. I took it to my dealer and the entire module had crapped out. I had it replaced and *knock on wood* haven't had any since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Like twins

Im having the same issue, 2012 RS. Checked the oil, replaced the transmission, and still does it. I guess I'll look int the paddle shift thing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We worked on a 2010 RS on Saturday with same problem. It is likely a bad switch
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Yes I am the one Annie worked on. I ran a code on it and it was PO826 which said Shift up/down switch detection problem. Rode it all the way home (120 miles) with the check transmission sign on but it shifted up and down just fine. So really have no answer to solve the question! Joe did say to clean the paddle connections and see what happens. Will do that. Thanks for your help Joe and Annie.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default My poor Spydercat😨

I'm having the same problem with my 2012 RS, and yes, I checked the oil, and replaced the cervos(sp?) and the transmission module. I think it must be the paddle shifters, especially since I just found out error code op0826 has to do with the shifter( thanks to this website). It'll give my husband something to do!! Haha

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New shifter!? Fingers crossed

Got a new paddle shifter, installed today, hoping it works. I found a dealer in San Jose, but I went to visit, skeptical. I hope this is the fix and don't have to take it to the shop.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for steering me in another direction

I'm glad I'm not the only one going nuts!! I've Been struggling with this for the last 12K miles! (2012 RSS Se5) 42K smiles!!

On on the bright side I've never been left stranded!!

I guess I now have have a valid excuse for not cutting the lawn this weekend!

Spyder Garage

i just replaced mine on my 2012 rs last month, I replaced 2 on my last 2009 se-5 they get out of alignment then stop working
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Weeeeeee!!!

Back on Spydercat, new shifter module works great! I think that was it! So happy😎😎