Spyder Garage

Default CURIOUS - is the Clunk on shifting fm Neutral to First/Reverse Normal?

I know that it is a "quirk" of the SE5 transmission that it "clunks" when shifted from neutral to first or reverse. I guess that this is an idiosyncrasy of the centrifugal force clutch. My question is, just to satisfy my own curiosity, does the SE6 do this as well? Also, does the SM5 and/or SM6 do this also? Just wondering.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup! They ALL do it. It's just the nature of the Beast.

Stand around, and listen to an infestation of Spyders getting ready to leave a parking lot...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

It's not just the spyder. It's a common thing on bikes in general. You have a bunch of gears turning in unison and then you shift into gear so things all of a sudden have to rotate at different speeds. If you're ever around a bunch of FJR1300 Yamaha's it sounds like a blender full of rocks when they all engage first gear at the same time.

Spyder Garage

If you thing ours are loud - try a group of Harleys!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That can sound like a bunch of axe-heads getting shoved into tree chippers!

Spyder Garage

Every motorcycle or atv that I have ever owned or driven has clunked going into 1st gear.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    I know that it is a "quirk" of the SE5 transmission that it "clunks" when shifted from neutral to first or reverse. I guess that this is an idiosyncrasy of the centrifugal force clutch. My question is, just to satisfy my own curiosity, does the SE6 do this as well? Also, does the SM5 and/or SM6 do this also? Just wondering.
    Yes my 2015 RTS SE6 does clunk also. Not anyway near as bad as a Harley though.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Yes, have experienced it on "all" my . That first shift of the day can sound a bit scary. No major tranny problems in over 130,000 miles though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The Spyder 5 speed is one of the best bike transmissions that I've ever used. And, for those bikes that have a reverse, the Spyder's is the best in the business. All the bike transmissions, as far as I know, have constant-mesh gears, these days, and they (usually) go from gear to gear very smoothly, even without using the clutch, but when you're in neutral, the constant mesh is somewhat out of the picture, and the locking dogs are whirling around the faces of some of the gears "next door", so that when you throw the clutch and shift into gear, you're making a set of dogs stop, or slow an adjacent gear when the dogs catch in the slots. Dogs and slots will/should form little radii that will allow smoother engagement, as the transmission wears-in. That's one reason why shorter oil change intervals are better for new bikes, and why you just might see filings on a magnetic drain plug, or in a torn-apart oil filter. Still, the gears are never going to wear in to the point of being silent on going into gear from neutral.

Right on, about Harley's. I think the factory must feel that the gears that worked for them in 1903, and didn't break, must be good for the 2000's as well, eh? Even BMW's, if I remember correctly, can be pretty "crunchy".

You ought to be on board my Sierra, when I shift in, or out, of 4WD-Low, without using the right technique. Do it right, and it'll be silent. Do it wrong, and it'll make dollar signs flash through your vision.

DW

Spyder Garage

Default There you have it....

But just to point out...the big V twins and singles are the noisiest. The triple, inline and V fours are better because there stroke is shorter. Hence the name tumpers for the singles and V twins...So when in nuetral the gear box is idle, then you cram a spinning crankshaft into it and Walla..!! a big clunk.. but now all the gears are spinning so all the subsequent shifts are merges...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CLUNK THINGY

I do think the new trans on the SE-6 shifts quieter ...................jmho, Mike

Spyder Garage

Even my new Goldwing Valkyrie clunks into first gear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wonder if it's the result of the new engagement clutch design?

Spyder Garage

Was also concerned with how loud the clunk was at first relaxed after my tech informed me it was the shift silonoid impact not the tranny

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

When in neutral, and the clutch is released, the crank is already hooked to the input shaft. Of course, when you throw the clutch again, most bikes won't (totally) stop the rotating force of the crank, some "drag" may be present. The force (rotating mass) that the crank has imparted to the input shaft (and, probably, at least one countershaft) is what we have to stop when engaging a gear. On big-displacement bikes, that rotating mass has to be greater/heavier, just because we have to make the transmission components heavier, with a greater load carrying capacity for a bigger bike, My 325 Bultaco two-stroke single would put out a ton of torque at very low rpm's, and hardly made a noticeable noise when engaging a gear from neutral. But, the whole gear-train probably didn't weigh more than 5 lbs. Funny thing, Bultaco always claimed that the transmission would take up to 150 horses, and I didn't doubt it (the gears were very rugged), but I'll bet a great deal, that they wouldn't withstand the kind of torque that a Harley would put out. Totally different scenario.

Spyder Garage

Default Just asking.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Yup! They ALL do it. It's just the nature of the Beast.

Stand around, and listen to an infestation of Spyders getting ready to leave a parking lot...
    My 1989 BMW K100RS doesn't make a sound when shifting into 1st gear. Could it be the difference in a wet clutch (most motorcycles) and a dry clutch (the K100RS)? I think so....

My 2015 F3-S certainly clunks loudly when shifting into 1st or reverse.
    jb
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Quiet-------

THe SE6 is a clunker when cold but quiets down and easy when warmed-up. On my Valkyrie and V-max---- if I hold the clutch in for 10 sec. or so , or even work the lever a few times the neutral to first shift is easy. Just sayn'

Kaos
    Last edited by Lew L; 03-02-2016 at 03:59 PM. Reason: speeling
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

As others have stated, the simple answer is in the 'Constant Mesh' transmission.

With this kind of transmission, the gears are always engaged as long as you are in a gear (clutch in or out). When you shift from one gear to another there is no neutral. You are simply transitioning from one fully meshed condition to another fully meshed condition. So, for example, going from 1st to 2nd there is virtually no spin differential between the mating gears. Hence, little or no 'Clunk'.

But when you are in neutral, some of the gears are spinning happily and some are not spinning at all. When you shift from neutral to 1st gear or reverse, these relatively heavy gears come together abruptly. The connection is steel to steel and you get the beloved 'Clunk'.

The larger, heavier and faster these gears spin, the bigger the clunk. The oil you use can also make some difference. That is why you get a bigger clunk when the bike is cold.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I do think the new trans on the SE-6 shifts quieter ...................jmho, Mike
    ​I agree.

Spyder Garage

Does this also explain while shifting up through the gears (especially 1-3) sometimes its really butter smooth but sometimes there is a small clunk? Dependent on load, speed, throttle?
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    If you thing ours are loud - try a group of Harleys!
    That's why Harleys are so loud...... so you can't hear them clunk into first gear

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xwingnut View Post
    My 1989 BMW K100RS doesn't make a sound when shifting into 1st gear. Could it be the difference in a wet clutch (most motorcycles) and a dry clutch (the K100RS)? I think so....

My 2015 F3-S certainly clunks loudly when shifting into 1st or reverse.
    jb
    Absolutely. There's always "drag" between the plates in a wet clutch, when the the throwout pushes them apart, because of the oil film in there. Your dry clutch allows complete disconnect from the crank to the transmission, just like in most cars. Theoretically, my Spyder should crunch less, once the oil gets hot, because it shouldn't drag so much, but it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. Well, I guess this thread is going to make me pay some attention to that scenario, next ryde, and check that theory out. Fact is, I like starting it in gear just so that I don't have to hear the clash of shifting out of neutral.