Spyder Garage

Default F3-Limited Mirror Removal

Need to remove mirror, but am reluctant to start banging on it like on my previous RT. is removal the same as on RT

Thanks much

TomG

Spyder Garage

Funny, I did the same thing! I couldn't pull it up and pop it off like my RT. Unlike the RT, the plastic panel on the back of the mirror that surrounds the blinker pulls straight off. Just grab it at top and bottom and pull. It is held on with three retention clips. I can tell BRP decided to include maintenance and ease of access a priority this time.

2016 F3 Limited - Triple Black Atlanta

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

thanks for your rapid response. I was about to hurt my hand, and probably the mirror assembly.

TomG

Spyder Garage

Default Photos

I took some photos of the F3 Limited mirror cover that pops right off. I tried to show pics of the retainer clips and where the 2-pin plug is located below the blinker housing. The yellow wire you see is the plug-n-play "tap" for the SpyderPops blinkers. This was SO much easier to do than installing the same thing on my RT mirrors. Hope this helps...

Attached Images Attached Images

MOgang Member & Pyro-Man kevorama's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well done!
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow.”
    James Dean

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default This is going to be embarrassing but

Quote Originally Posted by dsvogel View Post
    Funny, I did the same thing! I couldn't pull it up and pop it off like my RT. Unlike the RT, the plastic panel on the back of the mirror that surrounds the blinker pulls straight off. Just grab it at top and bottom and pull. It is held on with three retention clips. I can tell BRP decided to include maintenance and ease of access a priority this time.
    I "assume" you mean when you PULL them off it is while standing in front of the bike, correct?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vdoman View Post
    I "assume" you mean when you PULL them off it is while standing in front of the bike, correct?
    Yes, you are correct! That's a good clarification.

Spyder Garage

Thank you guys for this post. I just purchased my new 2017 F3L two weeks ago and noticed my left mirror would vibrate like crazy over 60 MPH. Searching around this site and reading about all the posts about banging on mirror housings had me nervous. I realized most of these were the RT so I kept searching and found this post and was relieved when I read dsvogel's post on the F3L mirrors. I went out in the garage and used one of my small plastic body tools and the outer shell popped right off. I loosened the screws for the turn signal light and let it hang while I removed the screw on the outer end for the mirror housing and pulled it off. I added some double sided 3M tape and replaced. Solid as a rock and only took 15 minutes!
    Bikerdave48
    2017 Spyder F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dsvogel View Post
    I never had an RT but the F3 is the same as my ST. It has 3 points of contact with the base plate. The top point is like a hanger, not spring retention clip. The bottom 2 are the spring retention clips. To remove the mirror you need to pull up to disengage the lower spring clips then once they are loose you raise the whole mirror up to remove the upper pin/hanger. The spring clips can be tightened by removing the U shaped springs and using a pair of pliars to squeeze them so they will hold the pins tighter then re install them. the base plate has 4 screws holding it on. they are not screwed into metal, they are screwed into plastic so be careful not to strip them out. One of mine was stripped out and someone tried to fix it with some kind of putty. I took that stuff out. One handy man trick on how to fix a screw hole that is wallowed out in wood is to just add more wood in the hole. toothpicks are often used for this. in this case I put in a piece of weed eater spline, then put the screw back in tight. There are other fixes to help tighten it up and a few threads on them. One is to remove the mirror, there are a couple of holes that the mirror hangs. The fix is to put some tape in the holes or hot glue to tighten up the contacts.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I took a piece of 3M foam tape....folded it in 2 and placed it between where the mirror mounts to the cowl...now it’s as ‘sturdy ‘ as the left mirror...no vibration 😎