Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Need a good Spyder Mechanic in Metro Atlanta Area to have upgrades done on my Bike

Hi all, i live in Lithonia Ga, and Im buying my first Spyder RT this weekend. I have already started buying things to upgrade my bike, such as a back rest and sometime next week, some LED lights. Can anyone recommend a mechanic in the metro Atlanta or surrounding area who works on Spyders that i can use to do the upgrades on my bike?

Thanks, Much Appreciated!

Spyder Garage

Default Hope you find someone good

I'll watch this and see what you find. I got a quote from Mountain Motorsports yesterday - $400 for labor to install a BajaRon sway bar for the 2014 RTS. I would like to have this but $400 labor is out of my price range.

Good Luck.

-Bill
    2019 Black F3-T

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaBill View Post
    I'll watch this and see what you find. I got a quote from Mountain Motorsports yesterday - $400 for labor to install a BajaRon sway bar for the 2014 RTS. I would like to have this but $400 labor is out of my price range.

Good Luck.

-Bill
    Bill,
    Maybe if we combine forces, and are able to get our machines high enough off the ground, we can do them together... The trick is getting the clearance needed to do the work! I too have a Baja Ron sway bar that needs installing. Extreme Propulsion gave me a $200 price to do it, which is still high in my book.

Let's talk more about this!
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Spyder Garage

Default SPYDER MECHANIC

My dealer is in Cartersville, GA. They put on my sway bar for $100. You might want to give them a call. Extreme Propulsion.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Default Sounds good

Brian I have a Goodyear motorcycle jack rated for 1500 pounds. The rails on the jack are just barely narrow enough to lift my Spyder, so I got ramps to get it high enough for the oil change. My son is next door to me (on the same property) and has an extra garage in his basement that is so pleasant for this - warm in winter, cool in summer, well lighted, lots of tools. I used it Monday to remove a lot of plastic to locate an electrical problem, caused by yours truly. I am planning to ride this Saturday, but we can shoot for the next weekend if you want.

The $100 mentioned by the next poster is much more appealing to me.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kay View Post
    Bill,
    Maybe if we combine forces, and are able to get our machines high enough off the ground, we can do them together... The trick is getting the clearance needed to do the work! I too have a Baja Ron sway bar that needs installing. Extreme Propulsion gave me a $200 price to do it, which is still high in my book.

Let's talk more about this!
    2019 Black F3-T

Spyder Garage

Default I'll call them

JKM - you ride a good way from Murphy to Cartersville. I wonder if they installed your bar for $100 and quoted Brian above $200 because you bought your new ride from them and it was part of the deal? Can you supply the name of the tech you used and I'll give them a call, and refer to you if that's OK?

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    My dealer is in Cartersville, GA. They put on my sway bar for $100. You might want to give them a call. Extreme Propulsion.
    2019 Black F3-T

Spyder Garage

Bill the tech that put on my sway bar was Bob. The $100 price tag was not part of my new purchase. But, possibly because I have bought two Spyders from them they quoted me $100. If you contact them, tell them that John Mattox asked you to call and would they give you the same deal? 770-386-9430.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Good Luck.

-Bill
    I have been hearing some of you talk about this sway bar. What does adding that do for the bike? Does it make it ride better or what? I might want to get me one also.

Spyder Garage

Bill the tech that put on my sway bar was Bob. The $100 price tag was not part of my new purchase. But, possibly because I have bought two Spyders from them they quoted me $100. If you contact them, tell them that John Mattox asked you to call and would they give you the same deal? 770-386-9430.
    I was basically quoted one hour of labor plus tax for the install. However, I also want to do the laser alignment they have available, but the package deal on everything was $500 +/-. I ended up canceling the appointment last minute because I felt that it was too strong of a number.

If Bill gets that price, then maybe I'll try again... But I'm still up for doing it myself, if we can get that front end high enough!
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Spyder Garage

Brian I have a Goodyear motorcycle jack rated for 1500 pounds. The rails on the jack are just barely narrow enough to lift my Spyder, so I got ramps to get it high enough for the oil change. My son is next door to me (on the same property) and has an extra garage in his basement that is so pleasant for this - warm in winter, cool in summer, well lighted, lots of tools. I used it Monday to remove a lot of plastic to locate an electrical problem, caused by yours truly. I am planning to ride this Saturday, but we can shoot for the next weekend if you want.

The $100 mentioned by the next poster is much more appealing to me.

Bill
    I may have to ride this Saturday too, to discuss the possibility of the install with you lol. I'm up for twisting bolts and bending wrenches anytime... I know we could do it if we have the correct set up. And it sounds like we may have it with your son's lift. I'll call you Saturday morning to discuss.
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Naben View Post
    I have been hearing some of you talk about this sway bar. What does adding that do for the bike? Does it make it ride better or what? I might want to get me one also.
    Definitely helps from what I've read on this forum... Tons of posts and information available from other members. Quite honestly it's usually the first thing that is installed by most members that have experienced the Baja Ron sway bar before. I'll be able to tell once I get that sucker installed!!!
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks John

I rode thru Cartersville yesterday on my way to Adairsville and Resaca. Stopped by and spoke to Paula Holliday who remembered you. She thinks you got an RT sway bar instead of the BajaRon which costs more probably because of the links on the BajaRon. Maybe your bar did not include compressing the springs to fit the links?

I'll probably go with them at around $185. Thanks for the suggestion to use them.

-Bill

2019 Black F3-T

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I rode thru Cartersville yesterday on my way to Adairsville and Resaca. Stopped by and spoke to Paula Holliday who remembered you. She thinks you got an RT sway bar instead of the BajaRon which costs more probably because of the links on the BajaRon. Maybe your bar did not include compressing the springs to fit the links?

I'll probably go with them at around $185. Thanks for the suggestion to use them.

-Bill
    Compressing the springs? What does that have to do with a sway bar install?
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I've installed two sway bars on my Spyders myself. The 2010 you don't have to jack up as far as my 2016. For the 2016 I raised up the front and stuck a stack of those flat concrete blocks under each front tire so I could get under the front end safely. Then using my lift jack from the side, I raised the bike up enough to get the old bar out and the new bar in then lowered it back down. I did NOT get my person under the bike doing this! ONLY my arm close to the ground! That was the only scary part of the install.

$100 sounds reasonable for a dealer to do it. Just make sure Cartersville doesn't keep your bike for several days doing it.

For the newer bikes with the 1330 engine, the links come with the sway bar and are part of the install.

I can tell you that Ron's Sway bar on my 2010 saved my life in a situation where I had to swerve around a young girl's car when she all of a sudden decided to make a left turn without signalling!
    Last edited by Cavman; 02-26-2016 at 01:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default OOPS

I guess I'm confused. Maybe I'll understand once the sway bars arrive.

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Compressing the springs? What does that have to do with a sway bar install?
    2019 Black F3-T

Spyder Garage

Hey Cavman, I was thru Menlo yesterday on a winter rally. You got a great area to live.

Brian Kay from Kennesaw and I are trying to decide whether to try the install ourselves or get it done in Cartersville. He already has the bar and instructions and mine are on the way. How many concrete blocks did you use? We had just about abandoned doing it ourselves but we may revisit that. I think Brian found an install video that I'll look for.

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    I've installed two sway bars on my Spyders myself. The 2010 you don't have to jack up as far as my 2016. For the 2016 I raised up the front and stuck a stack of those flat concrete blocks under each front tire so I could get under the front end safely. Then using my lift jack from the side, I raised the bike up enough to get the old bar out and the new bar in then lowered it back down. I did NOT get my person under the bike doing this! ONLY my arm close to the ground! That was the only scary part of the install.

$100 sounds reasonable for a dealer to do it. Just make sure Cartersville doesn't keep your bike for several days doing it.

For the newer bikes with the 1330 engine, the links come with the sway bar and are part of the install.

I can tell you that Ron's Sway bar on my 2010 saved my life in a situation where I had to swerve around a young girl's car when she all of a sudden decided to make a left turn without signalling!
    2019 Black F3-T

Spyder Garage

I have one of the Sears Craftsman lifts. I think I had three bricks per side as that was only how far I was able to get the tires off the ground.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Naben View Post
    Do a search and you'll find a host of owners, myself included, who are very pleaded with the BajaRon sway bar and why. If the search doesn't fully convince you, e-mail Ron and he'll explain all the benefits over an OEM sway bar.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I watched the video from Finless Bob, and he replaced the bar and links himself... Seemed easy, but that was for a 2012. Is there any difference with a 2014? I don't want to give up my spyder for several weeks just to get it done! Weather is getting really nice all of a sudden.

Does anyone know if the bar and links are just as easy as the 2012 in Bob's video?
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kay View Post
    I watched the video from Finless Bob, and he replaced the bar and links himself... Seemed easy, but that was for a 2012. Is there any difference with a 2014? I don't want to give up my spyder for several weeks just to get it done! Weather is getting really nice all of a sudden.

Does anyone know if the bar and links are just as easy as the 2012 in Bob's video?
    From what I have read you have to get the 14's higher to get the old bar out and the new one in. The one on our 2012 was not hard.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

It's true you have to get the newer bikes higher. You have to rotate the end of the old bar down to clear it off the ground. Then reverse putting the new one in. Then let the bike back down for the install process.

Spyder Garage

Default OP sorry for the hijack

Hope you find the mechanic you are seeking. Mike above is not happy with Extreme Propulsion, and Tommy Blackwell on this forum is very pleased with them. They were great for me.

-Bill
    2019 Black F3-T

Spyder Garage

Default Got the BajaRon sway bar

Ordered it last Friday, and got it Monday. Called Extreme Propulsion on Tuesday and set up for install at 2 pm that day. They started at 2 and were finished by 3:50, and I started home before the rain. It was very windy going up and I really got blown around. Coming home the wind had eased or else the sway bar really did its job.

I was curious about the weight - the old bar was 39.70 ounces and the new one was 49.05 ounces. Wonder why Can-Am doesn't have a beefier bar? Accountants and price I suppose.

-Bill
    Last edited by GeorgiaBill; 03-03-2016 at 06:00 AM.
    2019 Black F3-T

Spyder Garage

Default Good choices

Good choice on the bar and where you took it. I have taken both the Spyders I've owned to Extreme Powersports, never had anything but great service and I have recommended them on this site before. They sell and service Can-am and only Can-am. Do they work for free? Hell no.
    And I met 2 very good riding friends hanging out in the showroom up there. See you on the road.

Spyder Garage

Default A pleasant experience

I really enjoyed hanging out and chatting with the staff. I got a better price from Marietta for mounting a rear tire and a much better price for the sway bar in Cartersville. Guess it helps to shop, but nothing is cheap with Spyders. I'm sorry Mike had such a bad experience but I guess it happens to lots of us.

Guess I'll start looking at when to bite the bullet on a new seat. I rode 280 miles on Thursday and 430 miles on Saturday and that Corbin is pretty uncomfortable.

See you around - looks like we have a lot of Spyder Lovers in the area.

-Bill
    2019 Black F3-T