Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Frustration trying to find boots

It's time for a rant. This isn't related to the Spyder machines, but to the gear we wear while riding our Spyders. I have wide feet, 8 1/2 EEE, with high arches. Twenty, thirty, forty, years ago I could walk into any well stocked shoe or boot store and pick up a pair of wide shoes/boots that fit reasonably well. Today, no store I have stopped in or called stocks EEE boots. This includes farm supply stores, Red Wing store, and the local Harley dealership. Couple the high arch and I CAN'T FIND ANY BOOTS THAT FIT! I'd like to get myself a pair of motorcycle or engineer boots but the only option I can come up with is custom made. There is scarcity of custom shoe makers in this country! Almost no one build boots in the US any more. A few, like Whites, will custom assemble foreign sourced parts using parts that come closest to fitting your foot outline. Whites, in Spokane, made me a pair of custom fit boots about 12 years ago, but they were lace up. They fit over the top of my foot but the two sides didn't lace up anywhere near close together.

I found one local boot maker who will make a custom fit pair of motorcycle boots. His price is tolerable, $650, but his lead time is six months. I just filled in an order form, but haven't checked out yet, with West Coast Shoe Company for motorcycle boots. Including a rush fee of $125 or delivery in early April, and a couple of minor options, their price is $795 for relatively plain style boots. They will make them to fit based on about a half dozen measurements of each foot. Outfits like Boot Barn offer several choices via online order at around $200 but they probably won't accommodate a high arch. I sent an inquiry for more info to them.

Right now this is how I feel!

Anyone have any suggestions where to look for custom fit motorcycle boots for wide feet? Weinbrenner, makers of Thorogood boots, don't offer EEE width.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I recommend West Coast....They make a very fine custom fit to your foot boot.
    2019 900 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

My Alpinestars boots are over 10 years old and very used but they feel like wearing a running shoe so I won't buy new ones just yet. Maybe I can get another 5 years
    Last edited by crazycanuck; 02-17-2016 at 08:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

That's crazy.

Cheaper to fly overseas and get them made

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Tripe E Boots

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    It's time for a rant. This isn't related to the Spyder machines, but to the gear we wear while riding our Spyders. I have wide feet, 8 1/2 EEE, with high arches. Twenty, thirty, forty, years ago I could walk into any well stocked shoe or boot store and pick up a pair of wide shoes/boots that fit reasonably well. Today, no store I have stopped in or called stocks EEE boots. This includes farm supply stores, Red Wing store, and the local Harley dealership. Couple the high arch and I CAN'T FIND ANY BOOTS THAT FIT! I'd like to get myself a pair of motorcycle or engineer boots but the only option I can come up with is custom made. There is scarcity of custom shoe makers in this country! Almost no one build boots in the US any more. A few, like Whites, will custom assemble foreign sourced parts using parts that come closest to fitting your foot outline. Whites, in Spokane, made me a pair of custom fit boots about 12 years ago, but they were lace up. They fit over the top of my foot but the two sides didn't lace up anywhere near close together.

I found one local boot maker who will make a custom fit pair of motorcycle boots. His price is tolerable, $650, but his lead time is six months. I just filled in an order form, but haven't checked out yet, with West Coast Shoe Company for motorcycle boots. Including a rush fee of $125 or delivery in early April, and a couple of minor options, their price is $795 for relatively plain style boots. They will make them to fit based on about a half dozen measurements of each foot. Outfits like Boot Barn offer several choices via online order at around $200 but they probably won't accommodate a high arch. I sent an inquiry for more info to them.

Right now this is how I feel!

Anyone have any suggestions where to look for custom fit motorcycle boots for wide feet? Weinbrenner, makers of Thorogood boots, don't offer EEE width.
    Try Kornfeld's Department Store in Greenwood, MS
    He sell very large size riding boots, jackets, etc.
    662-453-1352 After 10 AM to 530PM

His name is Murry Kronfeld, he rides motorcycles. We used to be a motorcycle club years ago in Greenwood.

Spyder Garage

There is this company that can custom make boots. It could be in Mexico. They give details on how to measure your feet etc.

Lots of info on their site

http://www.gasolinaboots.com/midnight_boots.html
    Last edited by oldgoat; 02-17-2016 at 09:30 PM.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    There is this company that can custom make boots. It could be in Mexico. They give details on how to measure your feet etc.

Lots of info on their site

http://www.gasolinaboots.com/midnight_boots.html
    Thanks. Unfortunately to get a true custom fit boot you have to visit their factory. They aren't concerned about the circumference of the foot and their widest stock width is EE. Typical of the limitations I run into with almost all boot suppliers I have checked out. Their boots are custom in the same fashion as Whites. They select a last off the shelf that most closely matches the measurements you send them and make the boots for your order using that stock last.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rudder View Post
    Try Kornfeld's Department Store in Greenwood, MS
    He sell very large size riding boots, jackets, etc.
    662-453-1352 After 10 AM to 530PM

His name is Murry Kronfeld, he rides motorcycles. We used to be a motorcycle club years ago in Greenwood.
    Thanks. No website for information and too far to ride to from Idaho! He's just a retailer it looks like and few, if any, of them do true custom boot ordering.

2014 Copper RTS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Try mason shoes

Sent from my VK410 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    My Alpinestars boots are over 10 years old and very used but they feel like wearing a running shoe so I won't buy new ones just yet. Maybe I can get another 5 years
    Went to their website. No all leather offerings and no width options offered, which means they're probably all medium width. Same thing I ran into at the Harley dealership.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by orbit2008us View Post
    Try mason shoes

Sent from my VK410 using Tapatalk
    They are now only a retailer selling foreign sourced footwear. The m/c boots they offer are HD and no EEE.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    That's crazy.

Cheaper to fly overseas and get them made
    Or drive to Mexico!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Go to eBay and search 8 1/2 eee motorcycle boots. They have several at good prices.

Jerry Hatley
    Dallas, Texas
    2015 Spyder RT Limited. Red
    Too many add-on's to list.

Spyder Garage

$650 For a pair of boots, wow. you could get a corbin or mustang seat for that lol.
    Do a lot of you full gear up on your spyder? i have full boots, armored jacket and kevlar jeans when i ride my sport bike but when i go out on the spyder its usually jeans and a tshirt and tennis shoes, maybe a leather jacket if its cold. Thats one of the things i love about it most is that i dont feel like i have to gear up on it.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dochatley View Post
    Go to eBay and search 8 1/2 eee motorcycle boots. They have several at good prices.
    Quite a few come up with the search but very, very, few are actually 8 1/2 EEE.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you considered checking out an orthopedic surgeon? They probably know folks that can custom-make shoes and boots for you.
    I've got a "Charcot foot". (The left one...). Basically; the foot has turned itself into a balled-up mass of bone, with some toes sticking out of the far end of it...
    I can still fit into a regularly-shaped boot with some orthotic wizardry, but I did investigate the other options when this first occurred.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Got the guy here in Chelan

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Thanks. Unfortunately to get a true custom fit boot you have to visit their factory. They aren't concerned about the circumference of the foot and their widest stock width is EE. Typical of the limitations I run into with almost all boot suppliers I have checked out. Their boots are custom in the same fashion as Whites. They select a last off the shelf that most closely matches the measurements you send them and make the boots for your order using that stock last.
    Victor is (literally) old world shoe maker. He and family immigrated here a couple decades ago from Latvia (sp). But you will need to come to Chelan as he will measure and measure and remeasure . His work is superior. So if you choose to do that...I have an extra bedroom ....
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

There's a shoe store in St. Paul Minn. that has a website: XL FEET.com
    They specialize in W I D E widths. They sell Thorogood, Carolina, work one, all made in the U.S.A. Also Keen, Magnum Stealth, Hi Tec, and Propet Preferred (waterproof). I like the looks of the Propet Preferred boots. Also have dress shoes, walking shoes, casual, etc.
    Prices are very good.
    I don't know about the high arch, so I'd suggest a custom orthotic made to fit the boots.
    Check them out.....you might find it worth your while.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Danner Boots. USA MAde..See if they can help.. The quality is outstanding..

Spyder Garage

What footwear do you normally wear? Since the three wheeler has different requirements for your foot usage, I don't think you need the same type protection that you need with a motorcycle. But that's just my opinion. I do think it's something to consider. I would say 99% of your riding is going to be on paved surfaces, you aren't going to have to put your foot down to support your weight, or motorcycle when falling, or worry about the Spyder falling over on your leg. Things like that. If your normal foot wear is comfortable I would say just go ahead and wear that.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Try Cruiser Works Boots, I've had a pair for 15 years, just had them resoled last year. American made and waterproof, plus very comfortable.
    https://www.cruiserworks.com/Product...Zip-Boots.aspx
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Danner Boots and can be ordered on line and easily shipped back if they don't work for you.
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default EXACTLY!

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post
    What footwear do you normally wear? Since the three wheeler has different requirements for your foot usage, I don't think you need the same type protection that you need with a motorcycle. But that's just my opinion. I do think it's something to consider. I would say 99% of your riding is going to be on paved surfaces, you aren't going to have to put your foot down to support your weight, or motorcycle when falling, or worry about the Spyder falling over on your leg. Things like that. If your normal foot wear is comfortable I would say just go ahead and wear that.

David
    Well said, David.

I wear 13 EEE, and I couldn't find boots that fit either. In my cruiser days, I used to ride with a nice pair of Corbin boots that I loved. Just like a Corbin seat, they felt better, year after year, the longer I wore them. But, unfortunately, they have gotten too narrow now.

After going through what IdahoMtnSpder is currently going through (I tried most of the brands mentioned in this thread), I came to the same conclusion as you just said. At some point I simply asked myself, "Do I REALLY need boots to ride my Spyder?" And the little guy who often speaks to me from somewhere inside my head replied, "No, you fool. It's a Spyder!"

So now I wear a heavy pair of casual shoes with synthetic leather uppers and thick rubber soles. I treated them with some kind of waterproofing stuff that contains bees wax or something. They do just fine, and they are COMFORTABLE.
    Last edited by robmorg; 02-18-2016 at 02:40 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As long as you've got some decent ankle support in them:
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black