Thread: apple products

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default apple products

so what do you think of apple refusing to unlock the apple iphone of the two people that shot up and killed 14 people in the San Bernadina ca. attack. even with a court order they say they will not unlock the phone so the FBI can get any info they can from it. http://myfox8.com/2016/02/17/apple-r...ino-terrorist/

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Default Simple

If we get hit and it traces back.....it's on them!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Honestly: I'm not sure that they should do it...
    the bit of news that I saw about this, seems to point to them having to develop some procedure to do this.
    Would they be compensated for this effort?

Having said this: my sense of Patriotism tells me that they should want to help out!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

It is not as simple as unlocking this one phone. It is creating new software that would make a back door and could be used on every iphone. Once it is created who controls it? When should it be used? Can it be kept away from hackers?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Honestly: I'm not sure that they should do it...
    the bit of news that I saw about this, seems to point to them having to develop some procedure to do this.
    Would they be compensated for this effort?

Having said this: my sense of Patriotism tells me that they should want to help out!
    I agree. But, how many times have you heard that the gov't is too much into our business, which takes away from our freedoms? In any case, what I say doesn't really matter. This definitely is a tough question to answer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So the question must become:
    "Is it better to err on the side of safety and security; or on the side of personal freedoms?"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

This is definitely a tough situation. In order to investigate potential connections to other terrorists or organizations the government is asking Apple to develop a process whereby the gov't can hack into i-phones. The potential abuse of this capability is absolutely huge both from a privacy perspective and from the potential for criminals to get access as well. I can completely understand Apple's perspective. If they create what amounts to a security flaw, and those phones start getting hacked and are used to steal identities / money, the company will be vilified by consumers, and of course the gov't will throw Apple under the bus by saying that Apple should have made what they developed more secure. Ouch! I think if it were me, I would refuse to develop it. The gov't can always work to develop their own i-phone hacking capability.

Spyder Garage

"Is it better to err on the side of safety and security; or on the side of personal freedoms?"
    Wasn't there a quote attributed to Benjamin Franklin about this?
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mindman View Post
    This is definitely a tough situation. In order to investigate potential connections to other terrorists or organizations the government is asking Apple to develop a process whereby the gov't can hack into i-phones. The potential abuse of this capability is absolutely huge both from a privacy perspective and from the potential for criminals to get access as well. I can completely understand Apple's perspective. If they create what amounts to a security flaw, and those phones start getting hacked and are used to steal identities / money, the company will be vilified by consumers, and of course the gov't will throw Apple under the bus by saying that Apple should have made what they developed more secure. Ouch! I think if it were me, I would refuse to develop it. The gov't can always work to develop their own i-phone hacking capability.

I agree, even if Apple provide help with the highest secrecy. the secrecy will not hold because like Hayden (whistleblower) are around. This might be the reason why Apple hold their ground.

Spyder Garage

Default 7ou would think . . .

That those spooks and math geniuses at the National Security Agency would be able to hack into the phone. Perhaps the government is just getting lazy. This will be another case before the Supreme Court in a year or two.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

what if apple just unlocks this phone. i am sure apple has the software to do this. so if a judge tells them to unlock a particular phone, let them keep the software and just unlock that one phone

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But if THEY develop some sort of "Master Key" for all of these devices; do you really think that they'll be able to keep it a secret???

Spyder Garage

Another rock/hard place situation.

The request to do this one phone seems harmless enough. The gov't would like the information gleaned from it.

The problem lies in what then happens once the gov't has the information. This is the situation where everything can go South.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Default Property of

It's a government owned and paid for phone. The user had no right to privacy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    Wasn't there a quote attributed to Benjamin Franklin about this?
    Good ole Ben lived in a different time.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

How much is 'little', and how long is 'temporary'?

Last edited by wyliec; 02-17-2016 at 02:32 PM.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If the gov. wants the phone opened, then it should be up to them to develop the software to open it. If they can't do that, tough crap. Maybe this is something they can outsource to China. I am sure someone over there can do it.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Slippery slope....

There is more than the eye can see....
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Without personal freedoms, is there really any form of safety and security?

Good on Apple! Good on Tim Cook!

There is plenty of data on the carrier side that can be obtained and used.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What I've heard is that Apple is saying they CAN'T unlock this phone because there is no method or s/w developed that will do it. What they are refusing to do is develop the s/w to unlock it, if that can in fact be done, because then that s/w would be available for all future phones.

I cannot imagine that the FBI or NSA can't copy all the s/w from inside the phone and work to hack it open. Once they have a copy external to the phone they don't need to worry about the phone erasing itself. I think the judge mistakenly assumed Apple would know how to unlock it without it self-destructing. Apparently they don't know.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

here is what i don't understand, this can be a benefit for national security and possibly save other lives. why is this story on the news, why did apple post a statement for their customers. could this be a publicity stunt by apple to increase sales. stories like this should never make the news. all that apple had to do is take the phone and unlock it, then give it back to the FBI and never let anyone know that they did it.

as far as i am concerned, you do something like the two people did, you have no rights. the FBI could say they hacked the phone if they got any good information out of it and no one would know apple helped them. i would bet apple sales and stock goes up because of this.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    here is what i don't understand, this can be a benefit for national security and possibly save other lives. why is this story on the news, why did apple post a statement for their customers. could this be a publicity stunt by apple to increase sales. stories like this should never make the news. all that apple had to do is take the phone and unlock it, then give it back to the FBI and never let anyone know that they did it.

as far as i am concerned, you do something like the two people did, you have no rights. the FBI could say they hacked the phone if they got any good information out of it and no one would know apple helped them. i would bet apple sales and stock goes up because of this.
    I agree, it should never have made the news. But, I don't think it was Apple that initiated the story. As usual it was a news hound that started it b/c he/she felt it was a good story; I think that's called freedom of the press.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FYI, I happen to know it can be unlocked!
    In fact the government doesn't know what they are doing.
    There are even private companies that will enable a iPhone iTunes unlock service that fakes Apples server ID to unlock a locked iPhone.

Apple can do it too and they are blowing smoke.
    Apple will, with proof of ownership, unlock a phone on their servers. This is for people that had a death in the family or just forgot their own iTunes info.

Oh and the FBI is not asking for a back door! They simply want this single phone unlocked. The Media is blowing this out of proportion!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    here is what i don't understand, this can be a benefit for national security and possibly save other lives.
    <begin rant>

I wonder what else could be labeled as a benefit to national security and possibly save other lives... Let's ponder this very important question:

• National DNA registry
    • Repeal of the 4th Amendment
    • Eliminate Physician-patient privilege
    • Eliminate Attorney client privilege
    • Repeal the Freedom of Information act
    • RFID chips embedded at birth for the purpose of citizen tracking
    • etc..
    • etc..

<end rant>