Spyder Garage

Question Farkle Priorities

Now that I have modified my 2010 RT-S SE5 so that I can safely ride (neuromuscular condition), I am curious as to how to prioritize my Farkles. The floorboards and ISCI handbrake have already set me back $2000. The problem is I still have dreams that include a long list of items. Due to limited resources, the Farkles obviously will need to be a long term project. Is there any way I could ask for a consensus as to which Farkle I should concentrate on first? Of course safety is a MAJOR priority!

After 20 years of not being able to ride, I am VERY excited to get re-acquainted with an old friend…..FUN!

I greatly appreciate this forum and seek advice from its most valuable resource, YOU!

Sincerely Enabled Ryder
    BLBryant

Spyder Garage

Cool

Hello and congrats:

I believe handling and hugging the road probably is the most important safety issue and for me, mandatory was replacing the stock sway bar with a Baja Ron Sway Bar for the greatest improvement in handling in turns and curves.

then, for safety items, start with a high mounted (top back of trunk) extra bright brake light. and as a bonus, I wanted mine to flash.
    there is a custom dynamics unit that many have...I went with the tricled as well as quite a number of their other products.

next, I recommend turn signal lights for the mirrors...again, I went with tricled strips on the top inside, facing the rider on each mirror.

equally to above, many replace the wimpy horn with a stebel compact air horn which is very loud.

that's a pretty good start.

be prepared for sticker shock...quality spyder farkles seem to be more expensive than typical products for metric motorcycles
    http://www.tricledusa.com/#!automatic/cfs9

http://store.valueaccessories.net/Can-AmSpyder.aspx

hope this helps & best of luck
    let's ride safe & be careful out there,
    Mike in Nawlins'
    2014 Black SE6 Limited "Charlotte"
    New Orleans Ride Captain
    Patriot Guard Riders

Spyder Garage

Default Here's how I do it....

Safety always first....
    Comfort is next.....
    Bells and whistles at the end...

Depends on the ryding your planing on doing. You got your ryde to where your ryding and enjoying it and it comes equiped with great safety features. Your added mods makes it look like your ready for some comfort for the long rydes...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FARKLING ETC.

I completely understand about the money thing......I'm a DIY'er, and have done 58 things ( to date ) on my 20114 basic RT.......It all depends on how handy you are......If there is anything you want to try and do......PM me and I will assist you according to your abilities......I have spent $ 500.00 +/- .....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-15-2016 at 11:37 AM.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Safety always first....
    Comfort is next.....
    Bells and whistles at the end...

Depends on the ryding your planing on doing. You got your ryde to where your ryding and enjoying it and it comes equiped with great safety features. Your added mods makes it look like your ready for some comfort for the long rydes...
    i agree

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree on the safety, comfort, fluff order of priorities. The High Mount Brake Light is a must for added visibility, the mirror turn signals will keep you from being one of those annoying folks who are riding forever with their blinker on and an air horn will let you tell others how you feel about their driving.

The shocks on the 2010 RT were pretty wimpy and there are a few ways you can go about fixing that, the least expensive way is to replace the stock shocks with shocks from a 2011 or 2012 RT, the expensive way is to go with something like Elkas. Another handling must have is a laser alignment and the BajaRon Anti Sway Bar. I can almost guarantee that your Spyder is not aligned properly.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

with Safety, Comfort, & Fluff

You can't have to many lights--a good place to start.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Agree on the order of the three.

Since you have added the handbrake, I would only suggest you change the front brake pads to semi-metalic pads. The 2010-2012 RT bikes have the smaller diameter discs, so the pads will give you a little better bite from the calipers to stop the bike.

If you do not ride very aggressive, I would sort out the suspension (shock springs really) before the sway bar change. The sway bar is a near must do but if funds are limited, I'd get the spring rates dialed in first and they will also help you in the turns too.

Post a pic of your ride and welcome to the site.

Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

Your never done farkleing Is part of the FUN making it yours. But safety priorities Light it up & bee seen. Sway bar has high recommendations, more needed if your an aggressive rider. Cup holders if you need them, fyi I'm fine keeping mine in frunk with the floorboards you can move around lil mor freely, you may still consider highway pegs if going to tour more I like the wind up my pants leg every now & then.
    But you getting reacquainted with FUN. First off come to SPYDERFEST!There's the FUN & you can see other farkles first hand & get better idea of where on your budget it fits.
    Mostly the FUN of the fest & great people,rides, food..........

Hard to budget trips & farkles but all worth it in end enjoy &

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLBryant View Post
    Now that I have modified my 2010 RT-S SE5 so that I can safely ride (neuromuscular condition), I am curious as to how to prioritize my Farkles. The floorboards and ISCI handbrake have already set me back $2000. The problem is I still have dreams that include a long list of items. Due to limited resources, the Farkles obviously will need to be a long term project. Is there any way I could ask for a consensus as to which Farkle I should concentrate on first? Of course safety is a MAJOR priority!

After 20 years of not being able to ride, I am VERY excited to get re-acquainted with an old friend…..FUN!

I greatly appreciate this forum and seek advice from its most valuable resource, YOU!

Sincerely Enabled Ryder
    BLBryant
    I have the high mount light bar with the integrated turn signals! Is available at a fraction of the original cost! P m me if interested!

Spyder Garage

Just keep in mind those farkles are great, but be aware when you go to trade the money you spent on those farkles goes down the toilet. The dealer don't give a dime more for the extras you put on the bike.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also agree about the order - safety, comfort, fluff. I think the safety stuff is pretty well covered.

The comfort items are going to be different for each rider. There are after-market seats, arm-rests for passengers, etc. On thing I am glad I sprung for is the tri-axis handlebars. I would put it first instead of a new seat.

Congrats on your new Spyder and let us know how it goes.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Priorities suck

I haven't farkled mine that much. I have two spiders and I understand the priorities. They do get expensive. For safety concerns, I would do the bajaron sway bar and lights if you do night time driving. I have a F3S and I want to do the two up shock and have saddlebags added.

2012 RSS (Wife's)
    2015 F3S (Mine)