Spyder Garage

Default Laser Alignment Question

I read an overwhelming number of owners singing the praises of getting a laser alignment. I have no experience with them other than what I read here. I know how often cars need re-alignments done. How often do Spyders need realigned? We certainly hit potholes and other things causing some degree of front end "trauma". Just wondering. Thanks once again for the wisdom and shared experiences of all the 3-wheeled veterans here.
    2016 RTS SE6
    '64 Honda CA95 "Dream"

Spyder Garage

Default Laser Alignment Question

When I had my 2012 RT I had it laser aligned it made a big difference in handling.
    Just before I traded it in I had it checked and it was still perfect. And I ryde like
    there is no tomorrow. That was with about 6,000 happy miles.

Butch
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Spyder Garage

Had mine done about 2 years ago and though it only needed minor adjustment at the time I was surprised what an improvement it made.

Recently I'd felt it wasn't quite right and when I checked found one of the tires was beginning to wear on the outside edge. Had it re-aligned today and the toe in was out on that one wheel, other wheel was fine.

That's after 2 years use and we have some very uneven/potholed roads here following the earthquakes.

I'm not sure how much it costs to do in the US but here it's only NZ$30 (US$20 at current exchange rates) so to be honest I should just get it checked each year anyway.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

i bought my 2012 RTS from a Harley dealer here in Morgantown. the bike had been purchased new at the Spyder dealer in Uniontown pa. it always felt like the bike was fighting a crosswind of sorts. then I rode it down to Mineral Wells WV and had the shop there do a laser alignment. Made a big difference. now it tracks nice and straight with no darting back and forth. only put about 500 miles on it since the alignment. our roads around here are rough to say the least. far as I know the alignment has not been knocked out of whack. moving to Summerville SC tomorrow and when I get it out next week I will know.

Spyder Garage

Spyders, like cars need alignments for two main reasons, trauma from hitting something and normal component wear. The reason you hear about some many owners having laser alignments done is the alignments from the factory or dealer were incorrect in the first place.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't buy into doing an alignment due to "wear" in components. If you have worn components its time to do some repairs/replacement to those components. IMHO if an alignment is right from the start, the only reason to change it is due to damage.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyders are also quite a bit lighter than cars... Any impacts with highway debris should result in less "damage" to the alignments...
    Oh! The only thing that'll fix an issue with worn components: New Ones!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To add, there are more alignment shops that will cause more issues mucking with the alignment, so be careful.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Gentlemen:

Let me clarify what I meant by needing an alignment due to worn components. If you have worn parts, you need to replace them and then have an alignment. Just replacing the worn parts with new parts may not bring the alignment back into specs. Doing and alignment with worn parts still in place will not fix anything.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As to the benefits you've gotten plenty of comments. As to how often there is no way to say. I had my 2013 RT aligned my Joe and Anne in May 2014 here in Idaho. Then after something like 10,000 miles in May 2015 at Spyderfest I had them check it again. It needed some adjustment. Don't know why, other than it may have been because the power steering unit had to be replaced in the fall of 2014. The handlebars were not dead square with forward travel after the DPS change. I don't think the steering linkage had to be disassembled other than maybe being dropped loose off the DPS.

Have it done, but do not expect it to be permanent.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Here's how I do it....

Had it done shortly after they came out with it. If done with a well aligned rear tire it will make a big difference. I have since had it done with each tire change be it front or rear tires. It has not been out but I have it checked once a year and we ryde all year long.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ALIGNMENT

I had a Lazer alignment done, then had it checked about 10,000 miles later.....no change ...........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default LASER ALIGNMENT

I had my 2013 rts aligned by Lamonster last year at Spyderfest, It did make a big difference..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Spyder Garage

do not come aligned well from the factory.

A laser alignment will do your well. The only caveat is to determine that the alignment person knows what they are doing. Thank you Joe & Ann from Squared Away.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Laser Alignment...good advice!....now, cost variations?

Sounds like the laser alignment is a good move. What did y'all find you had to pay for it?!!!

Thanks for the info!!!
    2016 RTS SE6
    '64 Honda CA95 "Dream"

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default COST OF WORK

Quote Originally Posted by Old Prof View Post
    Sounds like the laser alignment is a good move. What did y'all find you had to pay for it?!!!

Thanks for the info!!!
    .....It varies, but I think the INDEPENDENTS charge less...( dealers use shop hours ).....and if you can get it done at a large event it may be cheaper......from what I've heard if it's within specs they may not charge you......At Spyderfest 2015 mine was free.......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Old Prof View Post

Thanks for the info!!!
    $125 is a ballpark number, give or take.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S