Spyder Garage

Default New Rider, New F3, Looking for opinions

New rider. Never road a street bike. The F3 fit is ideal. My plans are the black version either Touring or base model. I live in Florida. I'm 45. I had some questions I was hoping to get some feedback on.

Most of my ridding will be around town. I don't plan any long trips. The higways in Florida are nuts. People can't drive for anything. Ive been in my truck running 90 in the slow lane and getting my doors blown in from the passing lanes.

The extra faring with the stereo and windshield. This seems great for the Florida bugs but it also seems like it's blocking that cooling air. your opinions? Foot pegs or Floorboards, whats the pros and cons? Shocks, I like a soft ride. The Touring has a larger shock or so the literature says. I like the extra storage with the saddle bags. Fog Lights and heated hand grips are nice (snowmobile experience).

So my thoughts are if I buy the limited I've got all the "stuff" and no wind in my face. I kinda want the wind in my face, at least to some extent to help keep me cool and feel like I'm on a bike. However I'm a large person, is that a miserable experience? Do you get blow around to much without a windshield? if I buy the base model I can certainly upgrade over time. I'm sure the aftermarket shocks are better than even the stock limited shocks. hand grips, running lights, saddle bags, heated grips and even a windshield can be added on as I need them.

I'd like to hear some feedback from experienced riders.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default IMHO

You really need to TEST drive these things ......they are very expensive to just guess about. I have an RT and loooooove it. But I have driven an F-3 and I also liked that......They each have things going for them.......One thing I will say, do not get anything with a V-twin engine you will regret it....................Mike

Spyder Garage

I'm riding my 79th motorcycle, a Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster and also have a 650 Burgman and another 650 Burgman Executive, but don't yet own a Spyder.

I am here to collect info and make a decision. There are many PROS and many CONS that I see with the complete Spyder lineup. All models still suffer from quality control issues or even poor design in some areas. Keep reading the topics on this forum and make a wise decision.

The people on this forum are top notch and from what I've seen, will help you if at all possible. It is a friendly place.

After all my years of legal street riding, racing and extensive dirt/ desert riding, over the last 54 years, I have come to the conclusion that there is no perfect motorcycle, scooter or I'm sure Spyder, as there are just so many variables. Touring rigs are normally more comfortable and have more storage, with lots of nice things like GPS, stereo, Cruise control, electrically adjustable suspension, heated seats/ grips, etc-etc and the list goes on and the price goes up---been there and done that.

The basic/ stripped Motorcycles, scooters and Spyders, have a LOT less to offer at maybe 60% of the retail cost of the luxury models. Basics brand new on the 2 cyl Spyders, from what I've ascertained run from $13,000+- to over $30,000+- for a luxury RT touring rig.

I live in the country about 12 miles from work and most of the ride/ drive is on beautiful country roads, so I would probably be real happy with the stripped, manual 6 speed, 3 cyl Spyder! But, and I have a BIG one at 6ft-5in tall and 360 lbs of solid, corn fed Table muscle, prefer the luxury and comfort and features of the RT series, so what do I do??? I haven't even ridden one yet but as soon as it warms up I will do so.

As was suggested, you (And I) need to ride a few. These are expensive toys so a prudent decision is in your best interest.

One more comment: Lots of us will justify buying a cheaper model without the stuff we'd like on it and then invariably, we will end up spending LOTS of money and time to make it the way we like it. I am Soooo guilty of this myself.

Have fun!

Sam
    2021 Spyder RT ES6 PETROL metallic. Carthage, Missouri 64836

Spyder Garage

Default F3

Since you are not sure what accessories you might want in an F3, I would suggest buying the base model F3 or the F3S and then add as you feel comfortable. You can always add a windshield, fog lights, heated grips, hard or soft luggage, etc. If you buy the F3LTD or F3T you might end up with options you will never use. JMHO
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Test drive is the best way to see what version of will work best for you.

I prefer the three cylinder configuration over the two cylinder. I have one of each.

I prefer the RT over the stripped down versions.

Recommend on getting the model that provides the accessories you like best. They cost less as part of a package. If you buy a "stripped down" version, give it a thousand miles or so to determine what you would like to add.

Enjoy the "hunt." Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You've got some decidin' to do...

Seriously; none of us can tell you what to buy...
    Look at your projected needs, and then start talking to your dealer, and to other riders.
    Happy Hunting!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am a fan of buying the base ode land upgrading with those features I want, not all BRP's very expensive "stuff". I bought my RT SE6 basic Spyder and added a back rest, fog lights and most important< Seal Floorboards instead of those small, $1,000. floorboards BRP makes you buy if you buy anything other that the Base model. I will be introducing the Seal Floorboards F3 style in April. It will be very similar in appearance to the RT Floorboard and the same price. Not only will it greatly add to the riding comfort, it makes getting on and off much easier. The whole point is to......Ride in comfort.
    Last edited by sealfloorboards; 02-13-2016 at 03:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Homework

Hello from the UK,

Newbie myself and I was in your position last year. Bought a F3-S. For me it was all about doing my homework and I believe you are doing this now. So keep doing your homework and follow your heart. If your brain and heart are singing from the same hymn sheet then go for it. What we expect from you, is pics of your Spyder when you get it.
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

I have an RT and also love it, it has everything on it already. You can lower the windshield a little to,get some wind in your hair at least. Just something to think about.

Justcalldon

Spyder Garage

i started with an RS and after a 1000 miles or so knew that the RT was for me, most people are not buying a spyder for racing (i have a yamaha for that and it cost a hell of a lot less), they want a safer or more stable bike they can ride for either short or long ride conditions and the RT does that. Especially if you plan on taking a wife or someone else along. That is what killed the F3 for me was the rear seat, and the fact it comes with basically nothing including smaller storage. Test rides are nice but in the end you can test ride a bike for 20 minutes and thats not goign to tell you how the bike, car, boat, whatever is going to appeal to you after 20 hours, 20 days etc. If the fit of the F3 is better for you than the RT than go for it, as for base or touring id go touring and get it all done in one shot. I got the base RT because the S didnt have much i really cared about for an extra 3k. Fog lamps are useless here, easier to adjust rear suspension, different fenders and heated passenger grips are the basic differences. In the touring F3 you get bags, windsheild and possibly a radio which are huge upgrades and very expensive as add ons later that you would have to pay cash for instead of just including on your bike load, assuming you dont pay cash.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

I just got mine after years of following and reading this forum... Test drive and the add on to what you like best. The F3s became my choice after about 4 test drives on different bikes. Good luck. They all rock!
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Last summer I was in your shoes. I thought I wanted an RT. Then I rode one. I'm no small man either and I found the riding position of the RT uncomfortable. The machine was great. But didn't care for the position. Then I rode an F3. Very comfortable for me. I bought one!
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

Spyder Garage

Default Leg length

Personally I haven't yet owned a Spyder so maybe take this with a grain of salt. I have demoed some of each model and the F3 just fits me better than the rest. Mostly because of my long legs but also because of my arthritus in my legs and lower back. At my age of almost 63 years I can see the day coming when I won't want to be holding up a heavy motorcycle much less be pushing it backward with my leg strength which is slowly diminishing. That day isn't that far off but I already value comfort over styling and other features. It just happens that my 2015 Indian Chieftain is both very comfy and quite stylish in a retro way and for the time being is what I'm riding. It's quite possible that this might just be my last two wheeled motorcycle because of the way my aging process is going.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you're set on an F3, it's just a matter of which version/accessory package you want to get. But if you are also considering an RT, you most certainly should test drive both. The ryding style and seating position are totally different on the two models. So decide on a model first, then think about accessories, etc.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Made a choice

Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good choice!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Congratulations!!!!

Next step is to take a Motorcycle Safety Course. Find one for Spyders or trikes. The information learned can save your bacon.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sloppydogdrool View Post
    Good choice!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Congratulations!!!!

Next step is to take a Motorcycle Safety Course. Find one for Spyders or trikes. The information learned can save your bacon.
    Yep signed up! Gotta wait till the 25th. 3 wheel and side car classes required for licensing. I want to change out the halogens to HID and remove the badging.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sloppydogdrool View Post
    This is as close as I ever want to come to one of these machines. Why?...... Because it looks £#<£!#? awesome!

Pat

Spyder Garage

Default Licensed

Licensed and ready to go. Not ready for high speed highway yet but lower speeds on smaller roads around town this weekend for sure!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black