Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How do I operate ECO Mode?

SpyderAnn01 posted January 2014, "I was reading the 2014 Owners Manual (don't ask how or I may have to kill you) and I couldn't find anything on how to operate Eco mode. Also I could only find one reference to what RPM to shift at and that was in the section where they tell you how to practice riding. Is it 3000 rpm?." After spending over 2 hours searching here and other web sites ECO mode is still clear as mud. Seems ECO does or does not make a difference: Shift at a lower shift point with 1330 on SE6 maybe? ECO helps with cruise on long trips or does not? Manual is very lacking in the proper use of ECO but I'm quite sure if a warranty problem arises it is one of first things that will be asked. Any clarification out there as to the proper and most efficient use? Thanks from Only Reads Manual Out of Necessity (ORMON).
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HOPE THIS HELPS

Eco Mode according to BRP...if you use it diligently may, sort of, kinda, possibly, might give you and extra 3 miles per tank-ful of gas.......on a flat windless highway at 60 to 61 MPH.......ONLY....any variation from this and all bets are off ......I'll bet this didn't answer your question.........Well after activating Eco Mode a Green light (?) will appear on the dash screen telling you the perfect shift time.......and then my previous statement may occur ....or not......there is no guarantee...I do use it, but pay no attention to the light. I listen to the engine.....If I am really smoking it .....I don't use it, because it does hinder instant acceleration...................................Mike

Spyder Garage

It's only a guide line to be used with a little common sense not to strictly adhere to. I use it as a bench mark and do get 40-41 MPG and could not prove that ECO is the only reason, but pretty sure it helps you get an extra 2-3 MPG.

Gas mileage is not the only reason I leave it on. I think it improves tire mileage and certainly is better and easier on the engine and transmission, due to the lower RPM's and "Jack Rabbit" accelerations. You can't argue that. It is simply common sense. As Dad use to say "don't beat your Horse if you want to ride a long way".

If you like to horse things around and beat hell out of your equipment then by all means turn off the ECO mode and have at it. Different strokes for different folks.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Showie View Post
    SpyderAnn01 posted January 2014, "I was reading the 2014 Owners Manual (don't ask how or I may have to kill you) and I couldn't find anything on how to operate Eco mode. Also I could only find one reference to what RPM to shift at and that was in the section where they tell you how to practice riding. Is it 3000 rpm?." After spending over 2 hours searching here and other web sites ECO mode is still clear as mud. Seems ECO does or does not make a difference: Shift at a lower shift point with 1330 on SE6 maybe? ECO helps with cruise on long trips or does not? Manual is very lacking in the proper use of ECO but I'm quite sure if a warranty problem arises it is one of first things that will be asked. Any clarification out there as to the proper and most efficient use? Thanks from Only Reads Manual Out of Necessity (ORMON).
    I posted this? Part of it maybe but not all of it. ORMON? I always read my owners manual.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most of us have found that it's an unnecessary addition to the bike. It encourages you to shift at much lower rpms. This is nothing that you can't do completely on your own anyway. It will flash a green "Upshift" arrow on your display... This distraction forces you to take your eyes off of the road, and look down!

The short story: shift as soon as the computer will allow you to do so, and you'll be accomplishing the same thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I posted this? Part of it maybe but not all of it. ORMON? I always read my owners manual.
    Only the part that was quoted
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

I never even received a owners manual, it's been 7 years and I am hoping its in the mail.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Ignore--------------

My old slow ZX-11 and my old slow V-Max didn't have "eco assistant" . I think its useless. Do you look at the little green arrow?????? I'd prefer you keep you eyes on the little green VW about to come into your lane.

Watching the "ECO" arrow causes::::

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    I never even received a owners manual, it's been 7 years and I am hoping its in the mail.
    You can obtain electronic copies from BRP...
    I'll if I can find you a link to them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You can obtain electronic copies from BRP...
    I'll if I can find you a link to them.
    i don't want homework

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Reported to administrator

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default IN THE MAIL

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    ....They don't mail them...........They put it on the back of the frunk wall on Velcro......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....They don't mail them...........They put it on the back of the frunk wall on Velcro......Mike
    Oh I know but it was no where to be found

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Mike is correct. I couldn't find mine so I called the dealer. I have a frunk liner that was covering it. I took the liner out to get to mine and in the process of putting it back I noticed there was a zip in that area of the liner, and when it is unzipped you have access to the manual that is Velcroed onto the plastic frunk.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Reads Manual Out of Necessity (ORMON).
    Pages 22, 28, 31
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From Bob Denman's post: "Most of us have found that it's an unnecessary addition to the bike. It encourages you to shift at much lower rpms. This is nothing that you can't do completely on your own anyway. It will flash a green "Upshift" arrow on your display... This distraction forces you to take your eyes off of the road, and look down!

The short story: shift as soon as the computer will allow you to do so, and you'll be accomplishing the same thing"

I have to disagree with you on the "this is nothing that you can't do completely on your own anyway" I my SM6 if I am in Eco Mode I can shift to 6th gear as soon as 45 mph and the engine does not lug at all, if I take it out of Eco Mode I can not shift into 6th until much higher speed. I definitely get better gas mileage in Eco Mode.

There is no need to look at the arrow, you should know when to shift without taking your eyes off the road.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ann,
    That's different, than what the "ESSIEs" allow...
    Without ECO mode; my bike allows for upshifts into 6th gear as low as 39 mph.
    I basically grab 2nd and 3rd at 2000 rpm.
    4th, 5th, and 6th come in at right around 2500 rpm...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    From Bob Denman's post: "Most of us have found that it's an unnecessary addition to the bike. It encourages you to shift at much lower rpms. This is nothing that you can't do completely on your own anyway. It will flash a green "Upshift" arrow on your display... This distraction forces you to take your eyes off of the road, and look down!

The short story: shift as soon as the computer will allow you to do so, and you'll be accomplishing the same thing"

I have to disagree with you on the "this is nothing that you can't do completely on your own anyway" I my SM6 if I am in Eco Mode I can shift to 6th gear as soon as 45 mph and the engine does not lug at all, if I take it out of Eco Mode I can not shift into 6th until much higher speed. I definitely get better gas mileage in Eco Mode.

There is no need to look at the arrow, you should know when to shift without taking your eyes off the road.
    What she is saying Bob is----listen to the sound of the music! (Engine)

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Are you asking because...

You got your new Spyder!!! If so pics before answers...awesome...you will luv it..
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Good discussion about Eco mode.

My observations:

: I don't like it. Something telling me when to shift...don't need the help thank you.

: Economy. Faithfully ran a tank of gas through using Eco mode and shifting up every time it told me to. Results--about one mpg more.

: I have an SE6 tranny. Can shift into 6th right around 50 and there is no lugging. No Eco mode required.

: I also like to shift up according to the "music" of the engine. Downshifting on the 1330 is done by the . There is no clunk as on the 998. I do not like the distraction of looking for the green arrow to appear.

: And finally--I wish they would have left the electric frunk switch in and did not have the Eco mode.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-11-2016 at 07:39 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    What she is saying Bob is----listen to the sound of the music! (Engine)

Jack
    It's tough to do that...
    The voices inside my head are too loud!

Spyder Garage

Default ECO mode

I have not used my ECO mode and will never use it, because I think it will take the fun out of my riding and I would like to keep my eyes on the road at all times.
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

Eco mode is for people who don't know how to ride a motorcycle. If you learn how and when to shift, you don't need it.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass