Spyder Garage

Default Status report of FOBO & rechargeable batteries

Update on FOBO bike and the LIR 2032 batteries.

So on Dec 15 I put in these rechargeable batteries after fully charging them. On Feb 1 my air shock sensor was showing red. So I pulled the battery and recharged it. All the others still showed full green.

I had not opened the FOBO app since then. Today I opened the APP only to find all tire sensors not showing up and the screen said it had last read these on Feb 2. Air shock sensor still shows full green. Since I have extra rechargeable batteries I put them in and all sensors are showing up.

So the bottom line is when these go dead the do it FAST! The will go from green to dead in what looks like a few days.

But this is expected and let me tell you why.
    Regular CR 2032's start new a 3.0 to 3.2. There are dead or need to be replaced at about 2.4. So this voltage range is what the FOBO system app is calibrated for.

The LIR rechargeable are fully charged at 3.7 and are considered discharged at 3.2. As you can see at 3.2 FOBO will report them full green. But rapidly the rechargeables will drop of very fast to dead once they hit 3.2. Thus in a very short time the sensors will just shut down. You will get no notice of this in FOBO unless you open the app very soon after the cells hit 3.2 which you won't know. If you open the app every day you may catch the sensors going into red.

Finally to add.... Rechargeable li-on batteries are not supposed to be discharged below 3.2 as it shortens their life. So it not really good for them and again you won't know your at 3.2 in FOBO.

But as cheap as these are, I am going to keep using them and see how it goes. As you can see they last about 2 months on a charge. Not bad. I do not mind recharging them every 2 months. But I will carry an extra charged set with me on my Spyder since they could just die on you on a trip and you won't know it till the sensors stop showing as online in the app.

There is my report so far!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    But this is expected and let me tell you why.
    Regular CR 2032's start new a 3.0 to 3.2. There are dead or need to be replaced at about 2.4. So this voltage range is what the FOBO system app is calibrated for.

The LIR rechargeable are fully charged at 3.7 and are considered discharged at 3.2. As you can see at 3.2 FOBO will report them full green. But rapidly the rechargeables will drop of very fast to dead once they hit 3.2. Thus in a very short time the sensors will just shut down. You will get no notice of this in FOBO unless you open the app very soon after the cells hit 3.2 which you won't know. If you open the app every day you may catch the sensors going into red.

Bob
    Bob,

Thanks for the update and for following through with this.

I kind of suspected you would find that the rechargeables would have far less of a life between charges than the regular CR 2032's, as that is normally the case with rechargeable batteries. When this discussion started, my original thought was, "Do I really want to use rechargeable batteries and have to frequently charge them? - even if they are cheaper."

But the part of your message I quoted above is the really interesting part. For me, it makes the LIR rechargeable batteries not really worth the effort at all, as I'd constantly be killing them by letting them run down all the time.

That said, it was an interesting study.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The batteries that come with the FOBO have me baffled. Mine showed 2 bars on all 3 batteries for a week and now 2 of the 3 show 4 bars. My friend's showed 4 bars when they were installed and now 2 of her 3 batteries are dead.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Dead or dying batteries is why I use JT's Dual Fill - it doesn't need batteries and doesn't take much time to use. I'm old school!

Attached Images Attached Images

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The batteries that come with the FOBO have me baffled. Mine showed 2 bars on all 3 batteries for a week and now 2 of the 3 show 4 bars. My friend's showed 4 bars when they were installed and now 2 of her 3 batteries are dead.
    Per FOBO the CR 2032 batteries will drop when the ambient temp drops.
    So if you get in cold conditions they will look low and as it warms up again, the bars will go back up.

As for being dead... seems lately people have been getting almost dead or low batteries from the start.
    Mine lasted about 8 months and I went online and bought cheap China batteries. They lasted a month!
    Go get good Eveready batteries and you should be fine.

I am sticking with the rechargeable LIR 2032 for a while.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    Dead or dying batteries is why I use JT's Dual Fill - it doesn't need batteries and doesn't take much time to use. I'm old school!

Great for filling.... not too great for getting on your knees to check tire pressure...

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

In 2009 HD went to a system in their security system where the FOB is no longer pressed but is constantly on.
    The FOB uses the same battery type.

Typically, the battery would last up to a year.

Personally, I changed my battery ever 6 months whether needed or not, cause to enter the security code manually was a PITA.

I expect that the FOBO system would have the same results as far as length of battery service.

I typically buy my 2032s online and get them for $12.00 for a pack of 12 and store them in the frig.
    $12.00 for 2 years of service to me is a bargain compared to the wear and tear on my body - lol

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Per FOBO the CR 2032 batteries will drop when the ambient temp drops.
    So if you get in cold conditions they will look low and as it warms up again, the bars will go back up.

As for being dead... seems lately people have been getting almost dead or low batteries from the start.
    Mine lasted about 8 months and I went online and bought cheap China batteries. They lasted a month!
    Go get good Eveready batteries and you should be fine.

I am sticking with the rechargeable LIR 2032 for a while.

Bob

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black