Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In all seriousness, a security system is only as good as the response time of the people or company monitoring it, and most are horrible. Cameras are only going to confirm you've been robbed as a simple mask and jacket prevent identification and the systems are easy to disable. The most beneficial part of any system is the yard sign. Even dummy cameras and motion lights keep honest thieves honest.

The best I've found is to keep your junk locked tight/not out in plain sight and don't advertise what you've got.
    No matter what, if a thief is going to steal your stuff, they are going to get it. Its just important to try to make it difficult so that they would rather go somewhere else instead.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mowin View Post
    I've got an old house with not a lot of outlets. I'd have lead cords all over the place.

go read up on POE cameras. POE is power over ethernet and much better way to go. spend a few extra bucks and go CAT6
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Have you considered having an electrician do some "updating" to your power situation?
    All of those lead cords are a potential source for a call to 9-1-1...

(Sorry... it's just the Insurance Guy; worrying about his friends. )
    Thats why I'm passing on the wireless camera system.

Spyder Garage

I've heard about the Simply Safe System on the radio. But since my cell service sucks here, I wouldn't have the option of it calling the fire or police departments via cellphone.
    The system looks reasonably priced.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Don't need to see much with one of these....just get it pointed generally in the right direction. Also keeps you from shooting your neighbor in his bedroom 3 houses down.
    Load them with #9 shot, and it's about all that you need...

In all seriousness, a security system is only as good as the response time of the people or company monitoring it, and most are horrible. Cameras are only going to confirm you've been robbed as a simple mask and jacket prevent identification and the systems are easy to disable. The most beneficial part of any system is the yard sign. Even dummy cameras and motion lights keep honest thieves honest.

The best I've found is to keep your junk locked tight/not out in plain sight and don't advertise what you've got.
    No matter what, if a thief is going to steal your stuff, they are going to get it. Its just important to try to make it difficult so that they would rather go somewhere else instead.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ever since I installed my cameras around my house I've notice less people walked in front of my house side walk. I bought these video cam from the thrift shop and garage sales for $1 each. They are not even working but they work for me.. My neighbor paid $700 for his security system.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

In all seriousness, a security system is only as good as the response time of the people or company monitoring it, and most are horrible.
    Not writing from direct first hand knowledge but I understand that because of the number of false alarms police departments pay little attention to alarm systems going off. Even businesses don't get the attention they think they will because of false alarms. We disconnected the alarm monitoring service at the church I attended in Louisiana because of that.

Lighting and making it so a crook has to spend time to steal are the best anti-theft actions. Crooks don't like to have to spend time getting something stolen, and of course don't want to be seen doing it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    Ever since I installed my cameras around my house I've notice less people walked in front of my house side walk. I bought these video cam from the thrift shop and garage sales for $1 each. They are not even working but they work for me.. My neighbor paid $700 for his security system.
    My Swann 8 camera POE system cost 1000 cdn. But I figure you can not put a price on feeling safe. I also have a monitored system as will as a bunch of other deterrents, such as timers, and other things that make like someone is home. After I was robbed the cops said as many layers as you can Is the best deterrent. Good luck on you choice!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Not writing from direct first hand knowledge but I understand that because of the number of false alarms police departments pay little attention to alarm systems going off. Even businesses don't get the attention they think they will because of false alarms. We disconnected the alarm monitoring service at the church I attended in Louisiana because of that.

Lighting and making it so a crook has to spend time to steal are the best anti-theft actions. Crooks don't like to have to spend time getting something stolen, and of course don't want to be seen doing it.
    Most alarms are not sent directly to the PD, they go to a monitoring company who tries to contact you first, if no contact they send a representative. If they get a hold of you and you think there is an issue they will send the PD.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I have a 16 cam. Q-See system from costco,have only 12 cams now but can add,1.5TB HD space to record and monitor in family Rm so i can keep an eye on them. I don't like wireless systems as they use 2.4Mgz and this is too busy with Wi-Fi and other wireless systems plus having to run AC power service .
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tobor9 View Post
    I have a 16 cam. Q-See system from costco,have only 12 cams now but can add,1.5TB HD space to record and monitor in family Rm so i can keep an eye on them. I don't like wireless systems as they use 2.4Mgz and this is too busy with Wi-Fi and other wireless systems plus having to run AC power service .
    That is the problem I had with wireless they stomped on my internet router and killed my internet coverage otherwise it was great and easy to set up
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post

What a lot of local PD's & cities are requiring is actual video verification before responding to an active alarm. Because so many PD's are understaffed and because they must deal with so many false alarms. You might actually be shocked just how few LEO's are working in certain areas during certain hours.

Here is how it works. Your property is monitored by video. Camera senses motion and sends video to your monitoring station (which you are paying a monthly charge for them to monitor for you). Operator receives an alarm and looks at your video to determine if it's a friend or foe? They will then call you and verify friend or foe? If it's a foe then local LEO's are dispatched and told there is video verification and given a description of the perps.

This is the wave of the future in security and if your city or local PD hasn't gone in this direction, I can assure you they will.
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DJFaninTN View Post
    wireless cameras still need a power supply of some type. in case you are using some type of game camera or something along those lines.
    why are they called "wireless" ???

osm

Lancaster PA transplant (Southern born and bred)
    Spyder Garage

We have a Frontpoint system in our house. I was researching security systems and found this one on Angie's list. We don't have any cameras yet, but this company offers them. Their whole system is wireless except for the control system that plugs into an outlet. What sold me on the system was the remote access via cell phone and the ability to be able to turn lights on and off no matter where you are. We have door sensors, glass break sensors, and a smoke detector. They even have long range sensors for outlying buildings on your property. We pay about $45 a month.

We also have 3 dogs, which saved us one night around mid-night when someone came knocking on our door before we got our system. We also have several types of hand guns hidden all over our house.

2015 F3-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    why are they called "wireless" ???

osm
    There's no wires going from the camera to the DVR. The video is sent to the DVR via the Internet.

Spyder Garage

This has been an interesting thread to review.

We live inside the city limits but on a very lightly travelled street that ends up being an unpaved county road by the time it gets a couple of miles past our house. We live on a few wooded acres with the house being about 450 feet from the road.

Three year's ago one of my neighbors came home to find a pick up in his driveway with two folks loading it up from the garage out of his house. They had broken in through the garage door and were about loaded up when he arrived. He blocked them in with his truck and chased them with his Glock in hand, finally trapping them at the bottom of a creek that runs through my property.

It took about thirty minutes for the local police to arrive although they claim their response time is less than fifteen minutes.

He then installed a very expensive monitoring system and a month or so later my neighbor on the other side did the same. For about a year we had about two false alarms per month as they either neglected to turn some switch on or off or because of wind or storm problems. Finally the police stopped coming in response to the alarms sayng they would only respond if the owners themselves called them. Now they trip one of their alarms about every other month.

Instead of an alarm, I increased the height of the chain link fence surrounding the property and gave our dogs (a great dane and an aussie) the run of the acreage behind the house with a large doggie door allowing them access to the house. In the front I added an electric solar powered gate at the bridge going over the creek that requires a signal from the house or one of our cars to open and close. The creek bed is deep enough that a normal four wheel drive vehicle can not cross it when the gate is closed. My belief is that crooks are too lazy to cart stolen stuff back and forth from the house to the road.

I just can't see the value of an alarm (loud or silent) alerting some third party who then has to alert a law enforcement agency with such lousy response times. Nor do I want to spend money on cameras to take pictures of bad folks stealing my stuff.

Both of our dogs have keen enough hearing to tell us if anyone is at our gate or within 100 yards or so of the acreage bordering our property in the rear.

We also have an assortment of things to act as a deterrent if things do get to close range.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Lancaster PA transplant (Southern born and bred)
    Spyder Garage

Personally, I don't want the alarm system on my home to alert the alarm company to alert the police.....I have it so that I will know if someone comes in my home while I'm there. If I'm not there and they take stuff....that stuff can be replaced. We have three stories to our house and there are doors to all three levels. I want to know when someone brakes in a door or window in my home. That knowledge gives me the edge to grab a gun, where ever I happen to be in the house and position myself in a spot to defend myself. I hope that I never have to do that....but I want the upper hand.

2015 F3-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    I've heard about the Simply Safe System on the radio. But since my cell service sucks here, I wouldn't have the option of it calling the fire or police departments via cellphone.
    I have SimplySafe, and have for years. It works great. My local police are very responsive, and the loud alarms will scare most away. Very easy to install, and very reasonably priced.I like that it is $15 a month, and you can start and stop it at will.

Camera systems are great at letting you know you got robbed, but do nothing to stop a thief.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    You can have it also back up to a wired phone connection.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Seriously, Drew is spot on. Lights and cameras and so on do not necessarily prevent thefts. They only confirm a theft took place. Crime, burglaries and thefts are akin to free flowing water. They seek the course of least resistance, both physical and psychological. What I think you are looking for is prevention. Forming barriers both physical and psychological will do more to prevent crime from happening than anything else. Security on doors and windows to prevent entry is your first step. Psychological barriers, possibly better than physical barriers, is your second step to preventing thefts. Simply by making it time consuming and a greater likelihood that the crook will be seen and caught is your best deterrent to crime.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You got it Bob, whatever works. The 3/8" chain locked to the front porch piller and the recording of big dog barking instead of a normal doorbell sound works too.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i have a camera going into my garage in a week or so with alarm & also an intercom since it is a detached
    garage so my wife can nag me without being near me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I've got an Arlo (Netgear) system, both wired and wireless cameras, and a Ring video doorbell. It's a good, reliable system that works for me. The batteries in the outdoor wireless cameras last me about 3-4 months, but that will vary and depend on much recording they are configured to do. Once dialed in, the Ring video doorbell is great. Sometimes, scouts will try to see if anyone answers the door before deciding whether or not to break in. With the Ring video doorbell and app you can answer the door from anyplace, and you've got video to boot. It will also record motion that it senses within its configured range and zones.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited