Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Home Security systems. Any suggestions?

Ok, since I had 2 chainsaws stolen the other day, I've been researching home surveillance systems like this one.
    http://www.amazon.com/Swann-SWDVK-43...dp_ob_title_ce

Anyone have something like this? Do they work good? Thinking, like anything, you get what you pay for, but something is
    better than nothing.
    Really don't want a home security company like ADT.

Spyder Garage

I have cameras as well but mine have wireless communication with the system. They work well. Mine came with just 2 cameras but we bought 2 more that I still need to mount. We also have ADT. All backed up with my Springfield XD.40. You cant ever have too much security.
    Oh I forgot to add my 6 dogs are also part of the system.
    Last edited by AY4B; 02-10-2016 at 09:33 AM.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Also never leave your garage door open without you there.
    If you have ever experienced a burglary where they took lots of stuff and basically wrecked your house to get the what they got, you will get all the security you can. The feeling you have from that experience does not leave you.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I forgot to add, I have lots of outdoor lighting. Those new LED bulbs are a wonderful thing.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Currently have Logitech cameras, do not use them

I presently have multiple wireless Logitech cameras that work well, but they only are lasting about 2 years and then they start dying. Logitech has discontinued them and offers no support so I'm out a thousand dollars eventually. Anyway, I've been researching replacements and Lorex seems to be a reputable brand that has my interest. I'll most likely end up with them and post the results. Love having cameras tied to my smartphone with alerts. Nice piece of mind.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

a question about wireless cameras... how often do you have to change batteries...

osm

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't need no stinkin' batteries...

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

this is what I have done for the past 8 years. i cannot tell you how many people, HOA's and fortune 100 companies I got calls from who went cheap and then were not happy. they could not see what they thought they were going to see. there can be a huge difference between what a live picture looks like and what a recorded pic looks like.

yes you always, always, always get what you pay for. i am betting your cell phone has a much better camera than what you are looking at with that system. a one mega pixel camera is 960x1280. that system you are looking at says it is 960x480 so not such a great pic. forget blowing it up and drilling down into the image should you need to look closer at an image.

then if you are looking towards a very bright light or the sun, that camera is going to be blinded. think of it as someone taking a very bright flashlight and shinning it into your eyes. same thing happens to cheaper cameras. to avoid that you would want to look for what is called a wide dynamic range camera. it eliminates that for the most part.

then don't get me started on the cheap 3rd world county wire they use in these kits. it just doesn't hold up to heat and humidity over time.

this is the reason you should find yourself a local independent company who handles video and can sit down with you and help you plan and execute a video system.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    a question about wireless cameras... how often do you have to change batteries...

osm

wireless cameras still need a power supply of some type. in case you are using some type of game camera or something along those lines.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DAMN

Fort Knox!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I have cameras as well but mine have wireless communication with the system. They work well. Mine came with just 2 cameras but we bought 2 more that I still need to mount. We also have ADT. All backed up with my Springfield XD.40. You cant ever have too much security.
    Oh I forgot to add my 6 dogs are also part of the system.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post

osm
    You dont use batteries, they plug into any 110 plug. The video signal is what is wireless.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Mine is called a Uniden Guardian. I got it at Costco. It was one of their least expensive systems. Just a few hundred dollars.
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OUTSIDE SECURITY

...Geese or even better Swans.......I'm serious......................Mike , ....................sorry to here about your issue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You might take a look at Ring.com I have the doorbell system and plan on adding the security cameras. The system works as advertised.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ...Geese or even better Swans.......I'm serious......................Mike , ....................sorry to here about your issue
    Yes, geese would have alerted me that someone was out there, but what if I wasn't home?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THOSE BIRDS

Quote Originally Posted by mowin View Post
    Yes, geese would have alerted me that someone was out there, but what if I wasn't home?
    ...Actually they do a H*ll of lot more than make noise.....especially Swans......they are really more like Pitbulls that are RABID and They don't back down... .......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But then you're always dodging all of the extra crap in the yard from them...

Which I could never reliably manage to accomplish!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i have this system with 8 cameras, all wireless and they work great http://www.amazon.com/Lorex-LH024501...ystem+with+dvr

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The problem I have with the wireless, is the cameras need there own 110v power supply. Kinda tuff running a line to each one.
    The wired system has the power, audio/video all in one, and they connect to the DVR. The DVR's 110v power supply powers the whole system.

I've been reading alot about the different systems, camera types. Still not sure which system I'm going to get.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I don't need no stinkin' batteries...

yea but that only works if you can see them

Spyder Garage

The problem I have with the wireless, is the cameras need there own 110v power supply. Kinda tuff running a line to each one.
    The wired system has the power, audio/video all in one, and they connect to the DVR. The DVR's 110v power supply powers the whole system.

I've been reading alot about the different systems, camera types. Still not sure which system I'm going to get.
    It's a lot easier to run wire from the nearest plug than each one to the dvr. My shop is about 120 feet from my house. My problem is it can not be placed inside a steel building.
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    You don't know my unique situation
    My office is right next door to my house, and we can see everything...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    It's a lot easier to run wire from the nearest plug than each one to the dvr. My shop is about 120 feet from my house. My problem is it can not be placed inside a steel building.
    I've got an old house with not a lot of outlets. I'd have lead cords all over the place.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got an old house with not a lot of outlets. I'd have lead cords all over the place.
    Have you considered having an electrician do some "updating" to your power situation?
    All of those lead cords are a potential source for a call to 9-1-1...

(Sorry... it's just the Insurance Guy; worrying about his friends. )
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 02-10-2016 at 02:57 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    Don't need to see much with one of these....just get it pointed generally in the right direction. Also keeps you from shooting your neighbor in his bedroom 3 houses down. uploadfromtaptalk1455134434040.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk