Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Fourth go around for the DESS problem.

Hey guys. I know that there are many who have experienced the dreaded DESS orange screen multiple times even after having the module replaced. I was wondering if anyone out there has found a resolution to this problem yet? I have been stranded for the umteenth time now from this issue. My 2014 RTL had the module replaced the first time. The next several times, the dealership indicated that they made some adjustments, with BUDS no less, and that it should be OK. WRONG again. I want to determine of there is a permanent fix or if the DESS can be disabled or bypassed before moving on.

The Arizona lemon law is quite specific about how one gets relief from...well, lemons. My ride has already met the criteria but, before persuing relief, I would rather get it fixed. Love the Spyder but scared that I'll end up stranded in Death Valley when its 129. I know...it's a dry heat. Any thoughts?
    Old - 2012 RTS

New - 2014 RT Limited. Spyderpops Bumpskid. Kott Grills, Bajaron Swaybar and Links, Polaris Shock Stiffeners, Custom Dynamics Brightsides Red and Yellow Fender Lights w/Turn Signal Module, Autozone Mirror LEDs, Custom Dynamics Rear Red Brightsides and HMT Brakelight with Strobe Module, Smoothspyder, Lidlox Handlebar Helmet Locks, Glo ryder 360's for Three Wheels, Pete's Graphic Kit, Mini Trailer USA Shadow.

And Growing!

Spyder Garage

Default DESS

My 2014 RT Ltd has had DESS module replaced twice and now seems OK. BRP told my dealer to simply replace it again (at the second occurrence). Your dealer should also replace yours again and maybe that will be the magic bullet......

Good ryding.

2014 Cognac RT Limited #185 (destroyed in T-Bone wreck 3/21/2014)
    2014 Cognac RT Limited #5333 (replacement 5/16/2014)
    2018 Champagne RT Limited #1002 (traded 1/31/2018)

Spyder Garage

!!! Suggest you pressure the dealer to open a case with BRP that will remain open until they solve the problem through however many replacements it takes.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BaldEagle View Post
    Hey guys. I know that there are many who have experienced the dreaded DESS orange screen multiple times even after having the module replaced. I was wondering if anyone out there has found a resolution to this problem yet? I have been stranded for the umteenth time now from this issue. My 2014 RTL had the module replaced the first time. The next several times, the dealership indicated that they made some adjustments, with BUDS no less, and that it should be OK. WRONG again. I want to determine of there is a permanent fix or if the DESS can be disabled or bypassed before moving on.

The Arizona lemon law is quite specific about how one gets relief from...well, lemons. My ride has already met the criteria but, before persuing relief, I would rather get it fixed. Love the Spyder but scared that I'll end up stranded in Death Valley when its 129. I know...it's a dry heat. Any thoughts?

HI,
    Take a picture of the "DESS Error, and show the picture to your dealership. Tell your dealership to OPEN -UP A CASE WITH BRP. The DESS ERROR is under
    Warranty.

I have a 2014RTS-SE6 and I have the DESS ERROR twice. My dealership has replaced the Dess module ( part # 710004190 on July 14th, 2015) and on Aug. 28th my dealership replaced the DESS MODULE again, and replaced the Switch( Part #710004413). I have a Thread going on "The DESS" The title of the Thread is" DESS KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by Deanna777. It has a lot of info. about the DESS. I posted pictures. On the thread their is a list of Part #'s. and etc.

The thread is very long( as some say on here it is like a novel)

Please post on the thread, so new/and current spyder owners and BRP know what/and it is still happening. Feel free to send me a pm if you need more info. Keep us posted!
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    !!! Suggest you pressure the dealer to open a case with BRP that will remain open until they solve the problem through however many replacements it takes.
    Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krazykat View Post
    My 2014 RT Ltd has had DESS module replaced twice and now seems OK. BRP told my dealer to simply replace it again (at the second occurrence). Your dealer should also replace yours again and maybe that will be the magic bullet......

Good ryding.
    Did your dealership open up a case with BRP?
    Did you take pictures of your DESS when you got the DESS Error the first time?

Did you see my "Thread............." DESS KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! posted by Deanna777?

Their is a lot of info on that thread, I posted pictures.
    Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default D.E.S.S.

....From everything I have read on this subject ( and it's voluminous ) BRP finally came up with a fix that has worked for many of the Spyderlovers here who have reported this problem....even multiple times........It took them a lot of trail and error, but in the past 2 months there has been a slowing of this issue.........IMHO, the problem you are having is with your DEALER..........I believe BRP has identified a FIX your Dealer needs to find out from BRP what the latest PARTS are and get them..................UNDER WARRANTY.................Mike

Spyder Garage

Are you using something plugged into the trunk 12volt socket when this happens?
    Kenn

Spyder Garage

Default DESS

I have a Thread about the DESS problem/error, Title says " DESS KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" posted by Deanna777. I posted pictures/and what my dealer did. Also, have your dealership OPEN UP A CASE WITH BRP parts are under WARRANTY!!!!!!!

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Is it mostly the 2014"s that are having this issue?
    2019 900 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Default DESS

My 2014 RT-S had the dess error, dealer replacedw/2014 dess. it happened again shortly afterward, dealer replace w/2015part # & no problems since. My buddy had it happen on his 2014, & they could not get the 2015 # so they pulled one off of a 2015 on the sales floor. I do not know what the part #s are. MarcusB

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vstrommer View Post
    Is it mostly the 2014"s that are having this issue?
    This seemed to crop up late in 2014. Most of the reports I have seen on Facebook are late build 2014's and a lot of 2015's. In fact it was really bad there for a while on new 2015's and almost seemed like every new 2015 owner had an issue.

Mike is right... it seems to have tailored off now....

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Cool

strange that I think it might be something "added" to the machine involved...the previous owner purchased March 2014 (I didn't check manufacture date) and kept it bone stock till I purchased Sept 2015. No problems when she had it for 18mo and 9k miles.
    then I bought it and had no problems for 2 months.d
    started farkling, so I added a "In Plain Sight" to my key, and blue tooth stuff like GPS, phone, FOBO. I have SM10 and SMH10. So I wonder if all this stuff communicating has something to do with the key talking to DESS. And it's random. Some days it has been frequent, and some like yesterday, no problem. climate maybe?

all that said, a reliable dealership has a DESS module and ignition switch put aside for me when I find time to bring the bike in (100 mi away).
    let's ride safe & be careful out there,
    Mike in Nawlins'
    2014 Black SE6 Limited "Charlotte"
    New Orleans Ride Captain
    Patriot Guard Riders

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Deanna

Thanks for the info Deanna. Looked at your previous thread. Some good info there. Going to dealer today with lots of ammo (information). I'll follow up and let you know how it goes. Planning some long rides and just lack confidence in the Spyder at this point. Other than the DESS problem, this machine is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post

HI,
    Take a picture of the "DESS Error, and show the picture to your dealership. Tell your dealership to OPEN -UP A CASE WITH BRP. The DESS ERROR is under
    Warranty.

I have a 2014RTS-SE6 and I have the DESS ERROR twice. My dealership has replaced the Dess module ( part # 710004190 on July 14th, 2015) and on Aug. 28th my dealership replaced the DESS MODULE again, and replaced the Switch( Part #710004413). I have a Thread going on "The DESS" The title of the Thread is" DESS KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by Deanna777. It has a lot of info. about the DESS. I posted pictures. On the thread their is a list of Part #'s. and etc.

The thread is very long( as some say on here it is like a novel)

Please post on the thread, so new/and current spyder owners and BRP know what/and it is still happening. Feel free to send me a pm if you need more info. Keep us posted!
    Deanna
    Old - 2012 RTS

New - 2014 RT Limited. Spyderpops Bumpskid. Kott Grills, Bajaron Swaybar and Links, Polaris Shock Stiffeners, Custom Dynamics Brightsides Red and Yellow Fender Lights w/Turn Signal Module, Autozone Mirror LEDs, Custom Dynamics Rear Red Brightsides and HMT Brakelight with Strobe Module, Smoothspyder, Lidlox Handlebar Helmet Locks, Glo ryder 360's for Three Wheels, Pete's Graphic Kit, Mini Trailer USA Shadow.

And Growing!

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the help guys.

Thanks to all for the info and suggestions. I will use them going forward and hopefully get some resolution. Just want to be confident I won't be stranded somewhere remote. Arizona is mostly remote.
    Old - 2012 RTS

And Growing!

Spyder Garage

Default No plug ins

I have nothing plugged into the trunk outlets. It's strange but it rarely occurs when the Spyder has been parked for a long time. It happens mostly after I have been driving and then stop briefly like the store or gas. Maybe a coincidence?
    Quote Originally Posted by kbwitt View Post
    Are you using something plugged into the trunk 12volt socket when this happens?
    Kenn
    Old - 2012 RTS

And Growing!

Spyder Garage

Default Thought about interference

I thought about interference from blue tooth devices etc. I always start the bike before turning on the SM10 so as to pair with all devices without a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotRider View Post
    strange that I think it might be something "added" to the machine involved...the previous owner purchased March 2014 (I didn't check manufacture date) and kept it bone stock till I purchased Sept 2015. No problems when she had it for 18mo and 9k miles.
    then I bought it and had no problems for 2 months.d
    started farkling, so I added a "In Plain Sight" to my key, and blue tooth stuff like GPS, phone, FOBO. I have SM10 and SMH10. So I wonder if all this stuff communicating has something to do with the key talking to DESS. And it's random. Some days it has been frequent, and some like yesterday, no problem. climate maybe?

all that said, a reliable dealership has a DESS module and ignition switch put aside for me when I find time to bring the bike in (100 mi away).
    Old - 2012 RTS

And Growing!

Spyder Garage

I want to determine of there is a permanent fix or if the DESS can be disabled or bypassed before moving on.
    I have researched this and yes it can be done / disabled. Not easily since it requires specialty tools. So yes it can be done, but unlikely anyone or only a few have the ability at the moment.

Honestly, with your good info in hand, go talk peacefuly to the dealer and techs if needed. I would consider suggesting install of the latest version of the DESS transmit / receive module.

All the best with it.

PK

Spyder Garage

According to the 2014 service manual the D.E.S.S. is not linked to the Controller Area Network (CAN), it communicates via radio wave signal with the key antenna.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info Deanna. Looked at your previous thread. Some good info there. Going to dealer today with lots of ammo (information). I'll follow up and let you know how it goes. Planning some long rides and just lack confidence in the Spyder at this point. Other than the DESS problem, this machine is awesome.
    You are Welcome for the info. Thanks for looking at the " DESS KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! " thread that I started, and yes there is some very good info. on that thread. Good luck with the ammo( information) at your dealership. Looking forward to hearing what your dealership has to say about the DESS issue.

Ride safe on your long rides, with you these machines are awesome! When my spyder comes out of hibernation I will be doing some long rides my self. WOHOO
    Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Cool DESS followup

So to follow up on the DESS debacle. I did as suggested and took the to the dealer and asked for them to open a case with BRP. They again, interrogated with BUDS, and finding nothing wrong, gave me the back. I asked if a case had been opened and was told that it had. While riding home, it dawned on me that I was never given a case number. Hmmmm. I waited a couple of days when, again, I was left stranded at work (beginning to hate the color orange...not cognac, but orange). I decided to then to contact BRP myself. To my surprise, I received an email a couple days later asking for more details as pertains to the DESS problem. They also stated that my file would be assigned to a technical specialist, and a customer service specialist. who would be communicating with the dealership and me respectively. They asked that I return the to the dealership as they would be communicating what they wanted done to it. I took it right in(phew..thank GOD it started). I called the dealership 3 times during the next 8 days to ask if they had heard from BRP. They said no. I said that I was taking the and they could call me when BRP contacted them with instructions. Three days later I received a call from both the dealer and a nice lady from BRP named Pascale. She says that the dealership received instructions 2 days after I dropped the off. So much for the level of responsibility. Anyway, They asked me, to again, take the back to the dealership (not bad for me as it is about 8 miles away). But the wife's driving foot is broken and so now I'm up to $50 in cab fare. So, I got a call today from the dealership telling me that they had already done the recommended work from the bulletin. They don't know what to do next. Of course, the usual stuff comes up like the added LED's and such might be the cause. You know how it works. When you can't fix the problem, blame the customer. My thought process is this.....the late model 2015 RT's are not having a problem with this issue that I am aware of. So take the ignition with antenna and DESS module that they are CURRENTLY installing in the new bikes, and replace the questionable parts with these. Am I off base here or does that make sense to any of you? So...I called Pascale who asked that I call her if I had any questions or concerns. I have found dealing with the folks at BRP is much better than the dealership. I know, find a new shop. But the majority of retailers are franchises of the same company here in Phoenix (Ridenow). Does any of this sound familiar to any one? Has anyone with this issue actually had a repair that worked? I read a lot of threads but haven't found anyone who actually had a fix yet. Anyone out there? OK, I'm done for now. I'll continue to update and if a solution is discovered, I will quickly share it with all of you.
    Old - 2012 RTS

And Growing!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OMG - YOUR DEALER SUCKS

I feel your PAIN... and frustration......Yes to your question that this problem has been fixed by many other dealers. Your REAL problem from what you saying is with your DEALER......Either extreme TECH incompetence or Dealer just doesn't give a CRAP.....My GF ,Dee's, DESS issue was solved ( not the first time ) by a different combination of parts that BRP has come up with........What is listed on your work order as having been done and what parts re-placed ?????.....This would be a start in dealing with BRP cares.....Frankly I don't trust your Dealer to be Honest with you about this.....JMHO......Mike

Spyder Garage

Yes there is a fix for this; mine(knock on wood) has not acted up after replacement of DESS and ignition switch;10,000 miles ago.

Baldeagle you need to find a different dealer in a close by state. If you feel you can't get out of the web of this multi outlet franchise, give a call to Pittbull and speak with Len. He will get you a solution once and for all to your grief.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default DESS error

I too have had the DESS error. Took it to my dealer, after having them order part, and half hour later fixed and had no further problems, knock on wood. Good luck.
    2011 RT-S SE5 Viper Red
    2014 RT-S SE6 Cognac
    Bajaron sway bar w/ aluminum heims
    Custom Design HM Brake light
    Custom Design Red front fender lights with turn signals
    Lidlox
    Corbin arm rests
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

So to follow up on the DESS debacle. I did as suggested and took the to the dealer and asked for them to open a case with BRP. They again, interrogated with BUDS, and finding nothing wrong, gave me the back. I asked if a case had been opened and was told that it had. While riding home, it dawned on me that I was never given a case number. Hmmmm. I waited a couple of days when, again, I was left stranded at work (beginning to hate the color orange...not cognac, but orange). I decided to then to contact BRP myself. To my surprise, I received an email a couple days later asking for more details as pertains to the DESS problem. They also stated that my file would be assigned to a technical specialist, and a customer service specialist. who would be communicating with the dealership and me respectively. They asked that I return the to the dealership as they would be communicating what they wanted done to it. I took it right in(phew..thank GOD it started). I called the dealership 3 times during the next 8 days to ask if they had heard from BRP. They said no. I said that I was taking the and they could call me when BRP contacted them with instructions. Three days later I received a call from both the dealer and a nice lady from BRP named Pascale. She says that the dealership received instructions 2 days after I dropped the off. So much for the level of responsibility. Anyway, They asked me, to again, take the back to the dealership (not bad for me as it is about 8 miles away). But the wife's driving foot is broken and so now I'm up to $50 in cab fare. So, I got a call today from the dealership telling me that they had already done the recommended work from the bulletin. They don't know what to do next. Of course, the usual stuff comes up like the added LED's and such might be the cause. You know how it works. When you can't fix the problem, blame the customer. My thought process is this.....the late model 2015 RT's are not having a problem with this issue that I am aware of. So take the ignition with antenna and DESS module that they are CURRENTLY installing in the new bikes, and replace the questionable parts with these. Am I off base here or does that make sense to any of you? So...I called Pascale who asked that I call her if I had any questions or concerns. I have found dealing with the folks at BRP is much better than the dealership. I know, find a new shop. But the majority of retailers are franchises of the same company here in Phoenix (Ridenow). Does any of this sound familiar to any one? Has anyone with this issue actually had a repair that worked? I read a lot of threads but haven't found anyone who actually had a fix yet. Anyone out there? OK, I'm done for now. I'll continue to update and if a solution is discovered, I will quickly share it with all of you.
    Thanks for the update on your DESS ERROR.

I have had the "Dess module" replaced twice ( mileage on the spyder first DESS module Replacement was 6,994, and mileage on the spyder when the 2nd DESS MODULE was replaced was 8,740) I have had the repair work done twice and I did not gotten the DESS error.

They (my can-am dealership) replaced the DESS MODULE PART # 710004190, and the Switch part # 710004413. Looking forward to hearing from you, about the up date.
    Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover