Hybrid View

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

just a note that the iphone can be set to never auto lock or screen save if that's what you want

You're correct, and that is a more effective solution than the awkward one I'd devised. Thanks.

Between the two of us; we've had 102 years of this...

Bob - your story and mine, which we've discussed in pieces before, seem to be incredibly parallel. Someday we definitely need to meet.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last edited by Bob Denman; 02-16-2016 at 12:29 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I am very sensitive to blood glucose levels and treat any Hypo early whether on or off my bike ...

I use an Animas "Ping" insulin pump. My special "OneTouch" glucose meter communicates wireless to my Ping Pump. So any adjustment is as simple as testing and sending the results wirelessly to my Ping Pump (which at times is tucked three or four layers down).

When it gets really warm (desert heat) I put my pump into a specially designed "Frio" hung from my belt. The Frio is a evaporative cooling pouch built for the purpose ...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...BL._SY450_.jpg

Spyder Garage

The idea of keeping the pump cool (or extra insulin) while ryding is appealing. We don't have the desert heat here in Alabama, just humid heat. I may purchase one of these for long trips.

I had one-touch meters that broadcast my BS to the pump, and now I use a Bayer Contour Next that also broadcasts. It's a small thing, but it is convenient not to have to put that reading into the pump manually to let it calculate boluses.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Even though the Bayer BG tester uses a much smaller blood sample; I still miss the One-Touch monitors...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The Frio insulin cooler has never let me down. It comes in all sorts of sizes ...

http://www.amazon.com/FRIO-Duo-Insul...284047&sr=1-19

I think the hottest longest ride I had with a Frio was Death Valley at about 110 degrees ... and my insulin made it

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Even though the Bayer BG tester uses a much smaller blood sample; I still miss the One-Touch monitors...
    When i got my first pump(MM-722) it came with a one touch ultra-link then four years later i got a new pump(MM-723)it came with a Bayer link meter but when i got on medicare they would not cover there strips so i went back to my one touch,in all these years i think i only changed the batteries twice and that was only because i thought i should every so often not 'cause it said i should(i've had to call for a new case twice as i wore them out and need a new one now.)

Spyder Garage

Default 1966 to Present

http://www.diabetesforecast.org/2014...life-list.html

Sorry they didn't print pictures of Spyder! Since the article, I have shipped my Spyder to California and ridden home solo and ridden down to Tail of The Dragon with a friend on his bike. When I got my pump, i figured out I had taken over 32,000 shots in my life. Dan

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What a great story!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Something that I have learned in the past two days:
    The 670G DOES take over a whole lot of the decision-making...
    When setting up a bolus with prior pumps: you could make the decision to have either a Normal, Square-Wave, or Dual-Wave delivery.
    (For those non-diabetics who are still reading
    A bolus is just a delivery of insulin. You decide how much you want (Based upon your caloric intake and/or blood glucose level, and have the pump deliver it.
    A Normal delivery simply pumps in the amount of insulin that you have asked for
    A Square-Wave will take that amount of insulin, and delivers it over a period of time that you specify.
    This can be up to eight hours. I normally never went much beyond a three hour square-wave
    Dual-Wave deliveries are really cool! You take the amount of insulin that you want, and break it down into a n amount that you want delivered "Normally", and the rest of it is then delivered in the Square-Wave manner.

Anyway: When you're in Auto-Mode with the 670: you can only bolus in the Normal manner.
    Since the pump is handling the basal deliveries: it just watches your BG levels, and will add extra insulin, as your BG rises...
    In effect: it has taken over the Square-Wave delivery feature of prior pumps!

What I have found; is that it doesn't seem quite capable of keeping up with my meals. I sort of have to "trick" it into giving me extra insulin, by telling it that I'm taking in more food.
    So far: so good!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    What I have found; is that it doesn't seem quite capable of keeping up with my meals. I sort of have to "trick" it into giving me extra insulin, by telling it that I'm taking in more food.
    So far: so good!
    Bob - I just want to make sure that I'm following you as I not yet blessed with the new pump.

Are you saying that you can't bolus for a meal, OR that it doesn't do a good job of quickly adjusting if you DON'T bolus?
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    Bob - I just want to make sure that I'm following you as I not yet blessed with the new pump.

Are you saying that you can't bolus for a meal, OR that it doesn't do a good job of quickly adjusting if you DON'T bolus?
    What I think that I'm trying to say, is that the pump's algorithms seem to be aiming for blood sugars that are high enough to keep us safe.
    I have mine set in "Auto-Mode"
    (So Dr. Daystrom has programmed the Enterprise to pilot itself! )
    When I want to bolus for a meal: I get to the bolus screen, and it asks me for a BG reading, and a carb count. It will then figure out how much of a bolus is needed. (based upon insulin sensitivity, active insulin time, and carb ratio)
    It doesn't use the dual, or square wave bolus feature in Auto-Mode: it just seems to be constantly inputting tiny correction boluses. (.05, to .15 units at a time). This "sort of" keeps me close... I just need to add in some extra boluses, to aim for my much lower BG targets.
    I've got a call in to Medtronic Support right now, to discuss some of this. I'll let you know what I learn!