Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Jealousy Bob?

I too thought that was a police vehicle but on reviewing the tape, the call is reversed. What looks like flashing lights is actually sun glare picked up by the camera.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default faullt

No matter who was right or who was wrong, nobody won. Be careful out there.

Spyder Garage

What gets me is how easily that Spyder flipped over!
    Wish there was a camera on the side that showed the impact.
    I assume the left front climbed up the cars fender or something causing it to flip.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    What gets me is how easily that Spyder flipped over!
    Wish there was a camera on the side that showed the impact.
    I assume the left front climbed up the cars fender or something causing it to flip.

Bob
    Getting pushed against the highway divider had to have been a big factor in causing it to roll over, I think.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Finally!

Thank you finless and IdahoMtnSpyder!!!!

This thread should not be about "who is at fault". There isn't enough evidence in the video and unless you were there, you simply don't know so all of our "opinions" are quite meaningless.

The message here is "YES - YOUR SPYDER CAN FLIP OVER". I tend to agree that this was possibly due to what appears to be a "squeeze" of the spyder between the car and the curb on the median between the two sets of lanes. Does anybody see anything like an obstacle or something of that nature in the median that the bike could have hit?
    2015 RT-S SE6 Red Pearl - aka "Ruby"
    Tri-Axis handlebars - Bajaron Sway Bar and Heim Links - Roadster Renovations Spring Stiffeners & Top Case mirror - Value Accessories 3 pc. Lid Net Set - Lidlox Helmet Holders - JT's Dash Mount Bar - Drink2go rider & passenger cupholder - Wolo Bad Boy Horn - Show Chrome Trunk Rack - 12V power & heated gear ports - Spyderpops missing belt guard - BRP Trailer Hitch - Gold Plug hex head drain plugs

Spyder Garage

Default Evidence

I think I see something in the video. At the 9 second mark, as the bike flips and passes up the car on the right, the left front tire is facing straight forward (relative to the bike) and the right front tire is turned very much outward to the right of the bike. I think that the bike got squeezed, the left tire rides up the side of the car and the right tire gets snagged on the curb / street and gets serverely bent outwards as the whole bike flips over.
    2015 RT-S SE6 Red Pearl - aka "Ruby"
    Tri-Axis handlebars - Bajaron Sway Bar and Heim Links - Roadster Renovations Spring Stiffeners & Top Case mirror - Value Accessories 3 pc. Lid Net Set - Lidlox Helmet Holders - JT's Dash Mount Bar - Drink2go rider & passenger cupholder - Wolo Bad Boy Horn - Show Chrome Trunk Rack - 12V power & heated gear ports - Spyderpops missing belt guard - BRP Trailer Hitch - Gold Plug hex head drain plugs

Spyder Garage

Default Crash on cams

To me the cam footage makes it appear that the car wondered into the left lane and the Spyder may have accelerated to try and beat the car.

A note about dash cams, they seem like a good defense against crash scams and for keeping the narrative on track when it comes to an accident. Many states allow the cam footage to be subpoenaed so hopefully there is never anything on your cam that can hurt your case and erasing the footage could be considered tampering with evidence.

Y

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Saw this post on FB last week.

Spyder Garage

IMO the center curb is short enough that if the Spyder had been paying a little more attention, he could have gone up on the curb without flipping. Of course he would have had to deal with the oncoming car, but that guy was paying attention and avoided hitting the wreaked bike. It's obvious to me that the Spyder was moving faster than the other cars, he also had no gear on, IMO not a smart rider.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    . The local news suggests the rider received minor injuries in the form of road rash & some bruising, altho it is a little hard to track down info on this incident now the main link had been removed.
    !
    It is quite clear - the law says that you must change lanes safely - hence the car driver was ticketed (or as we say in Oz, he was booked).

http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/st...t-of-hospital/

That was a mighty big scooter!

Spyder Garage

This incident reminds me of a poem that has stuck in my head since a Driver's Education class in high school, in 1965. The poem went:

He was right,
    as he sped along,
    but he's just as dead
    as if he'd been wrong.

It had to do with paying attention to what is going on around you, and not forcing your "right of way" if someone else is not yielding.

It appears to me that the Spyder rider was going faster than the car (and the prevailing traffic) and ended up putting himself in a cage driver's blind spot as the cage decided to change lanes. Could the Spyder have avoided the cage? Hard to tell - but, by passing on the right, like that, he set himself up for that end result, unfortunately.

Yes, the cage driver was at fault - but we all should assume that cars and trucks are going to do stuff like that, and be prepared to react appropriately. Assuming the worst from other vehicles on the road has save my butt, many times.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    It appears to me that the Spyder rider was going faster than the car (and the prevailing traffic) and ended up putting himself in a cage driver's blind spot as the cage decided to change lanes. Could the Spyder have avoided the cage? Hard to tell - but, by passing on the right, like that, he set himself up for that end result, unfortunately.
    You do realize this took place in Oz where they drive on the left side? Passing on the right is proper.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My first time seeing this video. It is sad to watch,involving any kind of motorcycle, and especially a Spyder. for a speedy recovery..
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)