Spyder Garage

Default How does it work?

We are going on a ride to South Texas to ride the Twisted Sisters. All my riding buddies are on Harley's and use last century communication devices called CB radios. I use modern technology called Sena systems. If I must step back in time so we can communicate, how does the CB system work and how technical is it to install. Will it work with my Sena helmet system. I have heard nothing positive about the spyder CB systems. In fact, the nicest thing I have heard about them is that they are a giant pain in the a$$. Yes they tried to get me to buy one when I bought the bike last year! I don't know if I regret it or not.
    Mike Campbell
    Amarillo, Texas

2015 RTL "intense red pearl"

Spyder Garage

Call Sierra Electronics @ 800.338.6938 ask for Doug he should be able to help you out with some type of portable CB unit for the times you ride with the boys on the dark side.

Spyder Garage

You will like the "twisted sisters". Did it last year, 3 RTs, 3 HD trikes, 7 regular motorcycles, most HD. Normally I ride tail end cause most of our trike riders are old (including me). When the two wheelers blasted off out of sight, I had fun passing my buddies and catching the front bunch. Surprised, they blasted off again but to no avail this time😝👍

Spyder Garage

Stay in the middle of the pack
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel53 View Post
    We are going on a ride to South Texas to ride the Twisted Sisters. All my riding buddies are on Harley's and use last century communication devices called CB radios. I use modern technology called Sena systems. If I must step back in time so we can communicate, how does the CB system work and how technical is it to install. Will it work with my Sena helmet system. I have heard nothing positive about the spyder CB systems. In fact, the nicest thing I have heard about them is that they are a giant pain in the a$$. Yes they tried to get me to buy one when I bought the bike last year! I don't know if I regret it or not.
    Its something like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default that song gave birth

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Stay in the middle of the pack
    You don't need to be tapped into every (Or any) conversation. Ride your ride, and let the folks behind you report on what you've got going on.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Texas Geography

Just FYI: Austin and San Antonio are referred to as being in Central Texas. West of there (Leakey, Camp Wood...where the Twisted Sisters are) is called the Texas Hill Country. You have to go further South to get to South Texas - McAllen, Harlingen, Brownsville, etc.

I just noticed you are in Amarillo. As you know, Texas terminology is weird. From Amarillo, you have to go southeast to get to North Texas (the DFW area). I hope you don't consider this post condescending. I just wanted to give a heads up on local geographic terminology. You will be amazed by the Hill Country. The roads, curves, switchbacks, etc. will make you think you are in Colorado or North Carolina. Just be very cautious about oncoming traffic in those narrow twisties and watch out for deer. You'll have a blast.
    Last edited by Professor; 02-07-2016 at 08:49 AM. Reason: More information

Spyder Garage

Default Geography Lesson

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    Just FYI: Austin and San Antonio are referred to as being in Central Texas. West of there (Leakey, Camp Wood...where the Twisted Sisters are) is called the Texas Hill Country. You have to go further South to get to South Texas - McAllen, Harlingen, Brownsville, etc.

I just noticed you are in Amarillo. As you know, Texas terminology is weird. From Amarillo, you have to go southeast to get to North Texas (the DFW area). I hope you don't consider this post condescending. I just wanted to give a heads up on local geographic terminology. You will be amazed by the Hill Country. The roads, curves, switchbacks, etc. will make you think you are in Colorado or North Carolina. Just be very cautious about oncoming traffic in those narrow twisties and watch out for deer. You'll have a blast.
    From Amarillo everything else in Texas is south. We are about as North inTexas as you get.
    Mike Campbell
    Amarillo, Texas

2015 RTL "intense red pearl"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike, save your money. I had a 2011 RT-S with a dealer installed BRP CB radio. It was poor at best. I now have a 2014 RT-L with a BRP CB. It was so bad the dealer installed second one under warranty. BOTH were as bad or worse than my 2011 unit. I can talk maybe 75' or so. I even put a J&M antenna on to see if it helped....it did not. I put an extra grounding strap as suggested.....it did not help.

I also have a 2002 Gold Wing trike with a Honda CB, made by Clarion. Is is very good and I use it when riding with my buddies and while traveling and visiting with the truckers.

Save your money! The BRP units are WORTHLESS and expensive.

If anyone has a better experience, let me know what you have done to increase performance. Thanks.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

All my riding buddies are on Harley's and use last century communication devices called CB radios. I use modern technology called Sena systems. If I must step back in time so we can communicate, how does the CB system work and how technical is it to install.
    I'm one of those who does not subscribe to the theory that newer is always better!

Advantages of CB. Much greater communication distance available. Everyone in the group can communicate with everyone else. Not the case with BT with either. No batteries to keep charged up or have run down.

Advantage of BT. No cords. Connects with phone more readily.

Disadvantage of CB. Cost and complication of install. A new install by the dealer will run around a grand.

Your best option is to contact Motorcycle Dave and get the necessary devices to connect a portable CB into your Sena system. The single biggest downside to this option is you have to use an add on PTT button. There is no way, yet, to use the bikes PTT with a portable CB.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default How does it work?

Too much talking can kill a trip. I enjoy small (5-12riders) well informed groups & we all know the hand gestures. Yes we may stop more to regroup or rearrange positions but we are all comfortable with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

From Amarillo everything else in Texas is south. We are about as North inTexas as you get.

Very true. I lived in Amarillo for several years. I was a paramedic there and my wife and I were house parents at a group home for mentally challenged adults. We still visit family there a couple of times a year. Be sure to give us a report on your trip to the Hill Country.

Spyder Garage

My buddy and I both have 2012 RT- Ltd. We had the BRP C.B.s installed at a dealer in Bismarck N,D. in 2012. To this day we have never had a single problem and use them always. The distance is not great but about the same as the previous H,Ds and Hondas.
    Roger

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use a Midland portable with a blue tooth adapter. No problem when riding with my Harley brothers. Call maddave a sponsor on this site. He has everything you need.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Larry rt View Post
    I use a Midland portable with a blue tooth adapter. No problem when riding with my Harley brothers. Call maddave a sponsor on this site. He has everything you need.
    I agree, if your not going to use it all the time a portable will give you plenty of range for use in a riding group.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk