Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Replacement tires for 2012 rs

One more question for all you people in the know do I have to stick with OEM tires or are there options if so what are they. I had a Kaw. Voyager and I went to a car tire for the rear got 3 times the life and ride was great did the Dragon 3 times with one no trouble just wonderin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

TONS of folks never go back to Kenda...
    (I'm running a Kumho Ecsta AST out back right now...)
    There have only been about 16 Ga-Zillion threads about this...
    If you perform a Search for "Replacement Tires", the results should keep you busy for a week!

Oh! If tire brands aren't enough to ponder about; some folks have switched to a 215/60-15 tire for the rear.
    They say that it makes the speedometer read more accurately...

"Bowdoctor"?? Is that a reference to archery tackle?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default bowdoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    TONS of folks never go back to Kenda...
    (I'm running a Kumho Ecsta AST out back right now...)
    There have only been about 16 Ga-Zillion threads about this...
    If you perform a Search for "Replacement Tires", the results should keep you busy for a week!

Oh! If tire brands aren't enough to ponder about; some folks have switched to a 215/60-15 tire for the rear.
    They say that it makes the speedometer read more accurately...

"Bowdoctor"?? Is that a reference to archery tackle?
    ya sure does been teaching archery to kids for 27 yrs up until last yr. health went bad

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GREAT TIRE

Quote Originally Posted by bowdoctor View Post
    One more question for all you people in the know do I have to stick with OEM tires or are there options if so what are they. I had a Kaw. Voyager and I went to a car tire for the rear got 3 times the life and ride was great did the Dragon 3 times with one no trouble just wonderin
    ...Go to TireRack.Com ---- and look at the specs for the General Altimax RT43 ( standard touring model ) size 175/65-14, this will fit your Spyder without any issues...........scroll down to the performance section and check out the numbers....they are in the top 5% for this size.............good luck.......Mike ....................PS, you don't have to buy from them. You can them at Discount Tires Direct ( this is on-line ) for $ 67.97 each free shipping.....PPS do not tell them it's for a Spyder or they won't sell it to you ......I know it's frustrating
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-05-2016 at 03:56 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ya sure does been teaching archery to kids for 27 yrs up until last yr. health went bad
    I was an instructor for 22 years...

Here's my current toy:

Liberty Archery... 20.5" between the axles!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default RT 43

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ...Go to TireRack.Com ---- and look at the specs for the General Altimax RT43 ( standard touring model ) size 175/65-14, this will fit your Spyder without any issues...........scroll down to the performance section and check out the numbers....they are in the top 5% for this size.............good luck.......Mike ....................PS, you don't have to buy from them. You can them at Discount Tires Direct ( this is on-line ) for $ 67.97 each free shipping.....PPS do not tell them it's for a Spyder or they won't sell it to you ......I know it's frustrating
    I have a 2014 RT As I have read in the threads, a 175/65/15 ( I have 15" tires) should fit without issue? I have the RT43 on the rear in the 215 size and it works great.
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Spyder Garage

I thought we all agreed that the next person to mention tires or oil gets tarred and feathered at Spyderfest!

That's what you should discuss with your dealers shop. On here you will get advise ranging from the absurd to the unbelievable. On here every one has a different opinion and different advice. Save your sanity and total confusion.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    I thought we all agreed that the next person to mention tires or oil gets tarred and feathered at Spyderfest!
    That's what you should discuss with your dealers shop. On here you will get advise ranging from the absurd to the unbelievable. On here every one has a different opinion and different advice. Save your sanity and total confusion.
    Jack

So, ok. Let's talk about how much tar, and what kind. Street tar or roofing tar?
    What sort of feathers? The synthetic, or should we find a peacock and shave it. Maybe Flamingo Dave could contribute some insight. I have a little green bird, but he is using his feathers at this time......

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandeejs View Post

So, ok. Let's talk about how much tar, and what kind. Street tar or roofing tar?
    What sort of feathers? The synthetic, or should we find a peacock and shave it. Maybe Flamingo Dave could contribute some insight. I have a little green bird, but he is using his feathers at this time......

~Sandee~
    You done broke the code!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

The wife and I have a 2012 RT-S. We just took it to the dealers shop for some small repairs. One thing I did ask him about was the replacment of the rear tire. He stated that "on the internet there are people that will tell you all kinds of things and, a lot of what they tell you will have to do with how much they have spent on what they have. They will also swear that it is what works the best." Then he told us that the Spyder took 6 years to develop and, the entire bike was built around the tires that are stock on the bike. He also said that, the bike can really screw up and flash codes and lights and, at times not perform the way it should. So with what he said in mind, the wife and I have decided to have the same tire that they put on the bike when they built,it put back on it new. He told us that, depending on how you ride the bike, you could get about 10,000 miles on that tire. I am not saying that what these guys tell you is wrong, not by any means. You make your own choice. Just be careful and do your research before you do anything.

Spyder Garage

I've got an RS like you (most of this lot are RT riders so don't understand performance needs - only joking guys:-)). The front tires I've kept standard as they last well and do the job. The EOM Kenda tire on the rear is a different matter, wears quickly yet lacking grip. I swapped over to a Toyo Proxes T1R and it's made a big difference to the rear grip + wear is better. Kumho are also a popular one to go for.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default not always TRUE

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I took my SPYDER into Discount Tire where they got the size of my rear tire and ordered it for me.. Woods FUN CENTER IN AUSTIN INSTALLED IT FOR ME.. IT WAS A KUHMO AND WORKS JUST FINE.. So it depends on the dealership..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You've got to admit: threads about tires are ALWAYS fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HORSE PUCKY

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
    The wife and I have a 2012 RT-S. We just took it to the dealers shop for some small repairs. One thing I did ask him about was the replacment of the rear tire. He stated that "on the internet there are people that will tell you all kinds of things and, a lot of what they tell you will have to do with how much they have spent on what they have. They will also swear that it is what works the best." Then he told us that the Spyder took 6 years to develop and, the entire bike was built around the tires that are stock on the bike. He also said that, the bike can really screw up and flash codes and lights and, at times not perform the way it should. So with what he said in mind, the wife and I have decided to have the same tire that they put on the bike when they built,it put back on it new. He told us that, depending on how you ride the bike, you could get about 10,000 miles on that tire. I am not saying that what these guys tell you is wrong, not by any means. You make your own choice. Just be careful and do your research before you do anything.
    .....Just give this a thought, KENDA has already changed the ORIGINAL tires, BRP has not re-called all the computers to ...either re-calibrate ( if even possible ) or replace them. So how can this be explained ??????. Dealers ( & techs ) think everyone who comes through the door is STUPID........JMHO........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
    Another thought...
    Staying with the OEM tires is never a wrong choice... It's moe a case of trying to improve upon that choice. The Kendas were always consistent in how they handled, and their ride quality was actually pretty darn comfortable.
    They just wear out a bit too quick for my taste...

Spyder Garage

4000 miles out of a tire they charge $189 for was enough for me to make a change.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin