Spyder Garage

Question How to keep passenger safely secure?

I have an RT that I love to ride. My wife would love to go with me, but she has SMA and has very weak strength in her hands and legs. She is able to hold on when I am on back roads going very slow (under 40), but when I go any faster or on any curves, she gets very nervous as she is unable to hold on and fears she might fall off.
    I was thinking if she could wear a vest or harness that has clips and straps that I could attach to the passenger handholds, that may hold her in.

Has anyone seen, or is there anyone that might make something like that? Or does anyone have an idea that could hold her securely in her passenger seat??

thanks.
    Spyder Rentals
    www.rydeonmotorsports.com

Life is a Ryde-Enjoy the Journey

Currently Own: 2014 RT, 2016 F3-T
    Used to own: 2012 RT & 2009 RS

Spyder Garage

Default Secured....

Haven't seen anything. The arm rests and back rest hold one in very well but I would not buckle anyone to the seat. She may feel more secure if you harness her to yourself or have a harness on you she can hold on to. Most new ryders hang on to the driver till they feel comfortable. There are some better arm rests that wrap around a bit more. Check the seat guys like corbin etc...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Seat belt

I would try a wide, long Velcro belt or one with a snap in type buckle and use it as a seat belt going around the passenger grips and your brides waist. Worth a try to see if she feels more secure.
    2020 RTL - Petrol Blue Metalic / Black, dark model.
    Colour match rear tail cover, Garmin GPS.
    Heated Ultra Comfort driver seat & backrest.
    LED headlamps, LED Front corner lamps and lower front LED lamp.
    Baja Ron sway bar.
    Ride Til You Rot!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would advise against strapping her "permanently" to the vehicle in the event of a rollover or need to quickly get off the bike. There are belts that pillion riders can hang onto the "driver". ie http://www.2wheelride.com/llove_handle.html

Perhaps you could adapt that with some industrial velcro on her gloves and on the belt.

(As an aside I find it disturbing that the rider has full gear and she's just wearing a t-shirt. If you're responsible for your passenger make sure they're geared up equally.)

Google "pillion belts" gives a few ideas of what's available. Perhaps you can modify one where she clips onto you with a couple of quick release clips. https://www.google.com/search?espv=2...01.FOq6HEZL03g
    Last edited by asp125; 02-04-2016 at 11:30 PM. Reason: more info
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Very hard situation there sorry. But giving her condition (i can believe im saying this) the spyder may not be best for yall. Safety first & defiantly do not want to strap her down. Thats defeating the bike. Might as well slingshot & there you have a seatbelt. Hope you find something safe &functional

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Harness

A harness secured to the passenger grips would be ill advised. God forbid, if a roll-over collision were to occur she would remain attached to to the bike. Not a good scenario. I think that if she were to hold on to you she would feel you move your body in the turns and gain a lot of riding confidence. I applaud your efforts to make your wife comfortable as a passenger. Be patient and understanding. It will all work out. The passenger safety handles as mentioned in a previous reply may be your answer.
    Last edited by Bdomini; 02-04-2016 at 07:34 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

the Diamond R arm rests might be good for her. You can swing them in and with her arms over them she would be using her elbows to hold on.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    I would advise against strapping her "permanently" to the vehicle in the event of a rollover or need to quickly get off the bike. There are belts that pillion riders can hang onto the "driver". ie http://www.2wheelride.com/llove_handle.html

Perhaps you could adapt that with some industrial velcro on her gloves and on the belt.

(As an aside I find it disturbing that the rider has full gear and she's just wearing a t-shirt. If you're responsible for your passenger make sure they're geared up equally.)

Google "pillion belts" gives a few ideas of what's available. Perhaps you can modify one where she clips onto you with a couple of quick release clips. https://www.google.com/search?espv=2...01.FOq6HEZL03g

Thanks for all the suggestions! I run a small business in the Sacramento area to rent the Spyders. So I've got to find a safe way to take my sweet wife along with me when I Ryde.

I like this belt idea. Perhaps I can get two, one for her and one for me, and attach them together with a quick release like you've mentioned since she wouldn't be able to hold on very tightly to the handles. (I also agree with your assessment of the ad: t-shirt vs full riding gear.)

I also appreciate the warning of not strapping her to the bike. I think a Corbin seat w/ arms plus the belt may be the ticket!!
    Spyder Rentals
    www.rydeonmotorsports.com

Life is a Ryde-Enjoy the Journey

Currently Own: 2014 RT, 2016 F3-T
    Used to own: 2012 RT & 2009 RS

Spyder Garage

Default keeping your wife safe

Quote Originally Posted by RydeOn View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I run a small business in the Sacramento area to rent the Spyders. So I've got to find a safe way to take my sweet wife along with me when I Ryde.

I like this belt idea. Perhaps I can get two, one for her and one for me, and attach them together with a quick release like you've mentioned since she wouldn't be able to hold on very tightly to the handles. (I also agree with your assessment of the ad: t-shirt vs full riding gear.)

I also appreciate the warning of not strapping her to the bike. I think a Corbin seat w/ arms plus the belt may be the ticket!!

We installed corbin arm rests and a drivers backrest. If she is not tiny, there is really no way she will fall out of there using both of them. I am not a tiny woman and just fit with the back rest in front and the arms. Generally we won't use the backrest riding two but it might help your with her problem. I wouldn't use harnesses and straps since it wouldn't be safe if you are hit.

Spyder Garage

Default Had one of these years ago for my grandson and I mean years ago

Contact them and see if they can make a larger passenger size without the thru the legs straps for you. Might be worth a try anyway.

when we road https://www.riderzragz.com

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lili77 View Post
    We installed corbin arm rests and a drivers backrest. If she is not tiny, there is really no way she will fall out of there using both of them. Generally we won't use the backrest riding two but it might help your with her problem. I wouldn't use harnesses and straps since it wouldn't be safe if you are hit.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rutger View Post
    Contact them and see if they can make a larger passenger size without the thru the legs straps for you. Might be worth a try anyway.

when we road https://www.riderzragz.com
    This is exactly what I was thinking when I started reading this thread. I had one of these about 11 years ago (called a Child Riding Belt then). We eased my 3yo into riding using one of these. Some people thought I was the worst parent that ever graced this globe, others thought I was the coolest. Either way, I knew he was secure and wasn't going anywhere - even if he fell asleep.

Not sure the OP's size or the size of his wife, but would very much advocate something like this instead of strapping her to the Spyder.
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Hope you can come up with a solution that works for you.

Please advise when you get it figured out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red