Spyder Garage

Angry Dealer labor rates

I went to my local dealer where I bought my F3s to order the heavier rear shock. On a new sign the have posted the labor rate for the Spyder is $150.00 per hour.

They are a multi line dealer and the rate for motorcycles and ATV's is $100.00 per hour. I think both rates are outrageous but a 50% increase because it is a Spyder is insane.

To me it says they do not want to work on Spyders even though they are a dealer. Worst thing is both dealers in my area are owned by the same person so rates are the same.

Looks like I will be doing all my own work.

Only good thing is I got a 20% discount on the shock.

I like the people at the dealership but will only buy parts there.

Bill

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a good plan !!!

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

That is pretty darn high. I suspect that they do not have a trained (by BRP) technician, so they are padding their rates because they know it is going to take an untrained wrench turner longer to do the work. Spyders are complicated machines, and it can take some time to sort things out. My dealer, who is a multi brand dealer, charges a flat rate of $99.00/hour, and they do have a trained technician. In fact, I believe they have two. Keep in mind that BRP has a flat rate table of how long it should take a trained technician to do a given task, such as an oil change. I think you are getting hosed by a "stealership". Just my opinion.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default COST OF WORK

..I have done all maintainence and routine service on Spyder ( 2014 RT ) since I purchased it. I am not a professional mechanic............The 1330 requires very little service and it's not complicated what there is.......You would be surprised at what you could do if you tried..........good luck.......Mike

Spyder Garage

My last look a month ago was $110.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Dealer increased their Labor rates to $65.00 per hour...

...From $50.00!

I guess that I should be thanking them...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    My Dealer increased their Labor rates to $65.00 per hour...

...From $50.00!

I guess that I should be thanking them...
    Stop showing off

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry...
    But sometimes, you just have to be happy!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBill View Post
    I went to my local dealer where I bought my F3s to order the heavier rear shock. On a new sign the have posted the labor rate for the Spyder is $150.00 per hour.

They are a multi line dealer and the rate for motorcycles and ATV's is $100.00 per hour. I think both rates are outrageous but a 50% increase because it is a Spyder is insane.

To me it says they do not want to work on Spyders even though they are a dealer. Worst thing is both dealers in my area are owned by the same person so rates are the same.

Bill
    ​That's criminal! Why don't they just point a gun at you when you ride in?

Spyder Garage

Getting my F3 back tomorrow. My dealer installed the fully sintered brake pads on all 3 wheels, Baja Ron links, cannon ball seat, cut fender, big city baffle plus checked the line for the hand brake to make sure nothing hot is near the line. They sent a trailer from Caldwell to pick it up in Boise and are bringing it back tomorrow after a good washing and detailing. Total bill was 340.00. They also took care of the recall but I wasn't responsible for that.

not sure what they charge per hour but I know they are sure treating me right! I paid the dealer in Boise more than 340 just to put my elka's on my RS.
    Last edited by Mike Ard; 02-04-2016 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Add info

Spyder Garage

Bill
    Welcome to reality!

If you're willing to travel (maybe 100 miles) a little, you can go to Maximum Power Sports at 2990 S US 31 Peru, IN 46970. Their labor rates are $85.00 an hour. They only charge one hour (plus parts) for an oil change. They're very reasonable... all things considered.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow, we need to raise our rates.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree...

The labor rates are unbelievable... the spyder is no harder to work on than a goldwing. I have worked on them both and would prefer the spyder. The space would be the only problem. Have seen some problems with them not wanting to deal with the warranty work. You can't make as much there and actually have a ryding buddy who was told not to bring his spyder in for service. (he has an ongoing oil leaking problem). I do my own work but know it is not that easy for others. Last time I had a dealer hook me up to buds he cleaned up all but the hours without service...some 785 hours no service and they can't erase that because I don't have the work done with them....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Welcome to reality!

If you're willing to travel (maybe 100 miles) a little, you can go to Maximum Power Sports at 2990 S US 31 Peru, IN 46970. Their labor rates are $85.00 an hour. They only charge one hour (plus parts) for an oil change. They're very reasonable... all things considered.
    Agree! Good people at Maximum and their tech has been there for years. The Service Manager has been there for over 25 years.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Indybill, the rates at that dealer for Spyders have ALWAYS been $150/hour, they raised their rates for other bikes. Try Maximum.

john

Spyder Garage

$60.00 here for labor. They also now have laser alignment.
    mtbear

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's even cheaper than my guys!
    I'm glad to see that somebody else found some reasonable pricing!

Spyder Garage

wow that is crazy. i thought the 110 here was high. I like the guys at 60 an hour. I may ride out to CO for my next service!
    i did oil changes on my RS by myself but it was so easy to get the tuperware off of it. Looks like a PITA on the new RT i have and am afraid im going to break the mirrors trying to get them off lol. would certainly be nice if the design was such you could so simple things like an oil change without having to remove every panel from the bike.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mtbear View Post
    $60.00 here for labor. They also now have laser alignment.
    mtbear
    What is the name and location of the dealer??
    Bryan

Spyder Garage

Well let me explain the higher math to you "Three Wheeled Pilots". Our two shops here in town charge $120 per hour. Yikes! Not so quick "highway

breath". They use the Can Am book rates i.e. the calculated time Can Am has decided it takes to do a certain job. If they run over that time which

they usually do, you are only charged the book rate time. i.e. if Can Am says it takes 2 hours to do the job you are only charged $240 and not for the

3 hours it took them. ($360) I think this is fair. It prevents " on the job training" for junior mechanics.

If your shop only charges strait time and not book rate even at the lower cost per hour you could still be paying more.

A thought to ponder on.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Rate raising Las Vagan

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Wow, we need to raise our rates.
    No ! No ! You are perfect as you are now ! Thanks for the excellent work.
    Pete

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bill

The dealership I use to go too was pretty high, and the tech said he could not figure my parking brake out.
    Realized that there was a closer place, cheaper and the tech ACTUALLY LOOKED AT THE PARKING BRAKE!
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's two possibilities. #1, they don't want to work on spyders, or #2, they only need to work on a couple of spyders to make wages that day. It's like selling apples for $100 each. You don't need to have very many apples and some dumb so-in-so is eventually going to come along and buy one.