Spyder Garage

Default Hitting the Highway

Ok gang heres a couple of questions for all you long distance travelers. What highway pegs do u find to be the most comfortable ? And is there a driver drink holder that everyone likes. And is there a style of helmet as far as a full vs 3/4 vs half or is it personal preferance? I'm thinking a full face would get to hot in the summer. Thanks in advance to your helpfull comments. Still waiting for our RT Limited to get here.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by threefingers2 View Post
    Ok gang heres a couple of questions for all you long distance travelers. What highway pegs do u find to be the most comfortable ? And is there a driver drink holder that everyone likes. And is there a style of helmet as far as a full vs 3/4 vs half or is it personal preferance? I'm thinking a full face would get to hot in the summer. Thanks in advance to your helpfull comments. Still waiting for our RT Limited to get here.
    I have the RIVCO highway pegs and I like them. Although, they're the only ones I've ever used. My wife bought me Lamonts Spyder cuff drink holder. I never liked drink holders on my handlebars but I do like this one. I really like the way it looks. As far as helmets, I wear a full face unless I"m just putzing around town, then I wear a half helmet. I always wear a full face on the highway. It's much safer and quieter. Rarely, if ever, do I not wear a helmet.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Been riding with a Modular Flip Up helmet for a bunch of years now. Little more weight and sometimes a bit more noisy (without earplugs) than a conventional full face. The trade off is being able to see much better at gas stops and a quick flip up to yell something to your buddy makes it worth it to me.

Also, you have to go with a communication system, Sena has worked out great for me.

Pat

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the LaMonster NBB highway peg mounts (and LaMonster pegs) and I like them as much as any pegs for this bike. I also tried the LaMonster FBB mounts, but to me they place your thighs apart at too great an angle (that less of an issue to the NBB, but still some. It's just the nature of the bike since it's so wide in front).

I have a Baker Built Spyder cup-holder, which I like a lot.

I wear a 3/4 helmet I wear most of the time, or a modular during the winter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I currently use a Shoei Multitec modular but I'll be looking for a Shark Evoline 3 ST when it is time to replace it. I have only seen it on the internet, but it is an interesting helmet design. It has the ability to convert from a full face to a 3/4. Here is a link to a listing for it on Revzilla: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...t-arona-helmet
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

These are all good questions...
    But there is no single good answer for ANY of them.

It's more a case of:

As for me:
    A flip-up modular
    no drink holder (I stop for my drinks)
    no extra footpegs..

But that's just me!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

RE: Helmets I use the Nolan 40 series. They are flip up, come with removable chin bars, and have drop down sunshades.

I like mine without the attached chin bars. (3/4 helmet style). P. S. I know about the safety issues.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Tough one...

Many choices and most can be found on the home page. I will only suggest on the helmet for I don't use those in your other search... We use the modular (HJC middle of the road but there are better) for the flexability. Around town slow driving etc open to a 3/4 and in windy high speed freeway closed like a full face.
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't like highway pegs but that's just me. I wear a modular helmet and it isn't too hot in the summer. Try wearing a wicking skull cap like Heat Out from Cycle Gear under whatever type helmet you choose, it keeps the head cool and you don't pull your hair when putting the helmet on and off. I use a Camelbak for water on trips. I have a small cup holder on the handlebars that is pretty much worthless for anything but a bottle of water that you can keep the cap on. Check out Butler Mugs an cupholders, they are expensive but they will keep ice all day. We have Yeti cups which are the same idea only problem is you can't really put a straw in them so it would be hard to drink from while riding.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by threefingers2 View Post
    I did use the seal floor boards on my 2012 rt and I loved them. I have a 2014 rt now and I have the factory floorboards. I have a modular and a full face helmet with a flip up face shield. both are HJC brand. I have a rivco cup holder and rivco flag mounts. My helmets were bought at the Honda dealership in Fargo.

Spyder Garage

Regarding helmet, be sure to buy one that u can return or exchange. I bought one I loved, but after a week of long rides, hated it. Exchanged it for one I really love. I bought mine at cyclegear.
    Rawhide Kid
    2014 Spyder RT Limited. Cognac
    Goodyear, AZ

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet & Drink holder

My husband and I have had Shoei multi techs [modulars] for 8 years - easy to flip to talk, drink, or fuel up and not take the helmet off every stop. I have the la monster cup holder, works well - too hot here to wait for stops to drink - stay hydrated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide kid View Post
    Regarding helmet, be sure to buy one that u can return or exchange. I bought one I loved, but after a week of long rides, hated it. Exchanged it for one I really love. I bought mine at cyclegear.
    What brand was it?

Spyder Garage

Default Helmet

Shoei neotech. Have to flip up to drink; hydrate or die! 12 hour days in the saddle mean drink water all the time. We live in the desert.....so we know to drink plenty.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TEWKS View Post
    Been riding with a Modular Flip Up helmet for a bunch of years now. Little more weight and sometimes a bit more noisy (without earplugs) than a conventional full face. The trade off is being able to see much better at gas stops and a quick flip up to yell something to your buddy makes it worth it to me.

Pat
    & the quick sip, spit, or sneeze its really handy Is about personal comfort test many find one. Mine is a relabeled HJC with built in shade found at a HD dealer My drink holder is a regular cup holder & is mounted in my frunk.
    Persuades me to stop more often to hydrate & stretch my legs.
    I've done the camel backs for some trips but find the frunk allows more flavor options & sizes Holds my Snacks too . Every long trip needs. SNACKS i also do not need or use highway pegs, my floor boards offer even my big foot enough room to move good for me, I will occasionally even prop my heel up on the passenger boards. I have not documented but am sure I've earned several Iron but markers. But it's just not a challenge on a spyder.
    Last edited by Bfromla; 02-04-2016 at 03:23 AM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Long rides

My wife and I both like our 3/4 helmets (bell) with the sena Bluetooth on them. Our cup holders are very cheap. I bought two baby stroller cup holders and modded them to work using zip ties. The work and if I lose one, which has happened, I am out $12 bucks or so. We always get the water in the bottles with the flip up lids. They are easy to work with one hand and you water doesn't splash out. Anyway have fun and go ride!