Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Depreciation Rate

Whats the depreciation rate on a new $30K RT to the following year, or even off the dealers lot to the street? Do MC's depreciate at the same rate as the cage?
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Don't know what the depreciation rate is, but I do know that the 2013 RT's value tanked. Check Kelley Blue Book for your specific year & model. Scroll down to near the bottom right of their page and you will see where you can check motorcycle values.

http://www.kbb.com/
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Worrying about this will just give you an ulcer...

After all; it's not what you've got IN them that matters; it's what you get OUT of them, that counts!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

For what ever it's worth I recently bought a 2014 RT Limited with 1400 miles on it and the extended warranty from the original owner for under $19,000.00.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRAVO!!
    That was "Well-Purchased!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Just keep on

Riding my Friends! Ride that like she was meant to be.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

My 2011 Rt limited I traded in October 2015 with 31,000 miles. They gave me 14,000 that is about 3,500 a year.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Just look at it this way..... It's the price for having FUN !!!!....Hard to put a price on it.
    2019 900 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Puzzeling

Don't know that there is one. Kinda all over the place. Guess you could check Kelly blue book year by year for the same model and use that, but it would by state...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Like any other vehicle the first year is the biggest hit. Also, the RT gets hit harder as well simply because its at the top of the price range.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    Whats the depreciation rate on a new $30K RT to the following year, or even off the dealers lot to the street?
    A lot!

Do MC's depreciate at the same rate as the cage?
    No. They depreciate about 2x to 3x the cage rate. That's my guess anyway! And you can figure on about 80% + loss on any farkle you leave on.

I bought the 2014 RTS in my sig pic this past December 1 for $18,000 from a non-Spyder m/c dealer. 654 miles, no extended warranty and no farkles. MSRP was about $28,000. No idea what rebates may have been available when it was bought.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Figure 25% or slightly higher the first year. A little worse than a car. Accessories added are worth little to none--regardless of what you paid for them.

If you keep the long term, it should even out a bit.

If you trade every year, you will most likely lose money.

My 2014 ($28,000) is worth about $17,000 today (if I am lucky).

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My worst loss was a Harley Night Rod Special. Bought it new in 2010, paid $16,900 for it, added $3000 for suspension upgrades, rode it for 4200 miles sold it this year for $9000.00, also took a bath on a Harley 2012 Road Glide Ultra lost about $4000.00 on that one. Don't ever tell me that Harleys hold there value. I'm all done buying new scooters, I don't care what brand. Find a 1 year old "Used" toy and save the big hit.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
    My worst loss was a Harley Night Rod Special. Bought it new in 2010, paid $16,900 for it, added $3000 for suspension upgrades, rode it for 4200 miles sold it this year for $9000.00, also took a bath on a Harley 2012 Road Glide Ultra lost about $4000.00 on that one. Don't ever tell me that Harleys hold there value. I'm all done buying new scooters, I don't care what brand. Find a 1 year old "Used" toy and save the big hit.
    Those numbers don't seem all that bad to me. You'll lose a lot more than that on a spyder.
    I paid just under $16k for my 12' RS and I'd probably be in the $9k area. Worse than your 10' and 12'.

Ak- I can't imagine spending $28k and be lucky to get $14k after only 2 seasons. Oof!

Spyder Garage

If you have to ask you don't want to know

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by samewok View Post
    My 2011 Rt limited I traded in October 2015 with 31,000 miles. They gave me 14,000 that is about 3,500 a year.
    That's about what my 2013 is worth on a trade in, according to KBB.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Those numbers don't seem all that bad to me. You'll lose a lot more than that on a spyder.
    I paid just under $16k for my 12' RS and I'd probably be in the $9k area. Worse than your 10' and 12'.

Ak- I can't imagine spending $28k and be lucky to get $14k after only 2 seasons. Oof!
    $17K Typo correction

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I was just curious thats all for conversations sake. I'd love to trade in my 10 RT for a more recent vintage but my wife and I don't agree this is the time. My bike has over 55K miles on it and like me its in its middle age...or more. I have one year left of the extended warranty (Western Service). The Rotax 998 can last 100K miles, better than most of us. The 1330 probably better, remains to be seen. There are no used Spyder dealers that I am aware of. Where do the trade in Spyders go? I have seen them on Craigslist, etc but the majority are not out for public view. Dealers are in the business to sell new bikes. The best bang for the buck, however, for the consumer is a bike a year old. I wager to say that the average Spyder owner will put on much less than 10K miles the first year. The RT, by far, is the most popular Spyder for its touring qualities. I assume the majority of the owners are not young. I don't know if this pattern is the same for our 2 (or 3) wheeling cousins on the road. But this conversation will also help people who are interested in our sport but may not know where to go or how to invest. The sparkle of a new bike certainly is tempting but it may be a cash burden to the consumer. This is one thing we need to be talking about.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default USED SPYDERS

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    I was just curious thats all for conversations sake. I'd love to trade in my 10 RT for a more recent vintage but my wife and I don't agree this is the time. My bike has over 55K miles on it and like me its in its middle age...or more. I have one year left of the extended warranty (Western Service). The Rotax 998 can last 100K miles, better than most of us. The 1330 probably better, remains to be seen. There are no used Spyder dealers that I am aware of. Where do the trade in Spyders go? I have seen them on Craigslist, etc but the majority are not out for public view. Dealers are in the business to sell new bikes. The best bang for the buck, however, for the consumer is a bike a year old. I wager to say that the average Spyder owner will put on much less than 10K miles the first year. The RT, by far, is the most popular Spyder for its touring qualities. I assume the majority of the owners are not young. I don't know if this pattern is the same for our 2 (or 3) wheeling cousins on the road. But this conversation will also help people who are interested in our sport but may not know where to go or how to invest. The sparkle of a new bike certainly is tempting but it may be a cash burden to the consumer. This is one thing we need to be talking about.
    ...." IMotorsports"..they are vendors here at Spyderlovers, you might want to check them out ....Mike

Spyder Garage

I bought my wife's 2014 RT Limited with 2000 miles for $18,000 at the end of December. Has the ISCI Handbrake installed on it. Trade in value at the time was $18,500. I bought my RT S a few weeks later for $22,000. It had 1400 miles, comfort seat, and Tri Axis bars already installed. Both have Best Warranty on them.

Great deal on the Limited, not so great on the RT S but It was the color I wanted and I liked the farkles that were already installed.
    Last edited by keefer; 02-03-2016 at 11:29 AM.
    2014 RT Limited, Cognac (Wife's) Hand Brake, Heated Comfort Seat, iPhone Cable in Glove Box, Baja Ron Swaybar, Spyder Pop's BumpSkid.
    2014 RT-S, Cognac (Mine) Tri Axis Bars, Comfort Seat, BRP Backrest, iPhone Cable in Glove Box, Baja Ron Swaybar, Spyder Pop's BumpSkid, Spyder2go Drink Holder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
    The worst mistake HD made was flood the market back in the late 2000's, that killed resale value. Back in the early 2000's there was a waiting list for new bikes. Now you just walk in off the street and buy one off the showroom floor.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by keefer View Post
    I bought my wife's 2014 RT Limited with 2000 miles for $18,000 at the end of December. Has the ISCI Handbrake installed on it. Trade in value at the time was $18,500. I bought my RT S a few weeks later for $22,000. It had 1400 miles, comfort seat, and Tri Axis bars already installed.

Great deal on the Limited, not so great on the RT S but It was the color I wanted and I liked the farkles that were already installed.
    That was a great deal on your wife's bike.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd View Post
    The worst mistake HD made was flood the market back in the late 2000's, that killed resale value. Back in the early 2000's there was a waiting list for new bikes. Now you just walk in off the street and buy one off the showroom floor.
    The law of supply and demand. Many consumers are afraid to buy used when it comes to MC's I bet, especially if they are new to the product. Ultimately for us consumers its being at the right place at the right time for the right price. I also think many consumers are afraid to go to Craigslist or eBay for vehicles. Understandable. For people like my two friends who are trying to sell their 1 year old bikes at take over payments it sounds like a very good deal but when you consider BRP has a $2500 promotion deal for unused 2015's which would you choose?
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I think as more 1300 motors 2014 or newer start hitting the used market the smaller motor ones will take another big hit. Big differences between the two.
    Kenn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    That's about what my 2013 is worth on a trade in, according to KBB.

Yea, good luck with that. Now that the 14s are down in the 17k range, they have pushed the 13s down to the 11k range RETAIL. I got 10k for ours on trade and the dealer that now has it can't sell it. They are ASKING 11.5 and no offers. 998s without a warranty are well under 10k. No one wants them.

The value of the 998 RTs, ALL OF THEM, have really tanked over the winter as the 14s have come down the normal depreciation scale. Figure the 5k gap between 13 and 14 will continue.

We traded in a 13 RT last summer and got 17 for it, now only 10 to 11.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame