Thread: Custom Trailer

Registered Users sypderrobinson134's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Custom Trailer

So something else we're looking into is taking the chance to get a trailer for our 2012 Rs. Problem is I don't want to pay as much as they're asking no matter how sleek the look. I've thought about building a custom small trailer, like a pull behind four wheeler trailer and boxing it off and making it legal. Has anyone done anything like this and if so, what were the results.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TRAILER

Quote Originally Posted by sypderrobinson134 View Post
    So something else we're looking into is taking the chance to get a trailer for our 2012 Rs. Problem is I don't want to pay as much as they're asking no matter how sleek the look. I've thought about building a custom small trailer, like a pull behind four wheeler trailer and boxing it off and making it legal. Has anyone done anything like this and if so, what were the results.
    ...........I'm pretty sure you are asking about a trailer to tow the Spyder with ...correct.....If so, it really depends on how handy / talented you are....can you weld ???.....can you weld aluminum ???.... are you really good at it ???..... If not you can get a small flat bed trailer in steel or aluminum with a torsion axel ( it's a much better suspension ) and do it that way........The Spyder does not need to be covered ( enclosed trl. ) when towed ( definitely not with a cloth/canvass cover on the spyder, that's a no no ). I killed two birds with one stone. The tranny on my car crapped out so I re-placed it with a small pk-up......took the bed off, built a flat-bed......then built a light-weight ( but strong enough ) frame, and covered that in 24 & 26 ga. galv. sheet metal......I can put my RT in in it.....Been to Spyderfest twice this way ( 3000 mi. each trip )........I have also used an aluminum snowmobile trailer successfully. You just have to sensible about it............good luck, .....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-01-2016 at 01:20 AM.

Spyder Garage
    2008 Millennium Yellow SM5 Spyder PE #21
    2005 White Goldwing GL1800

Happy Spyder owner