Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default changing from two wheels to three

I would like to hear from owners of trikes how do they go around corners can you be happy with one after riding two wheels for 40+ years. We like to ride the mountain curves and howis the wind rain and heat on the spider. I now ride a victory vision tour premium.

Spyder Garage

To me the Spyder is just as much fun as a two wheeler. You can't lean the Spyder around curves like a two wheeler but it has a thrill of it's own. The only way for you to be sure is to test ride a Spyder at your dealer. But I can tell you this; you will never have to worry about going down on a slick spot or gravel or worry about putting your feet down at stop signs and traffic lights.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Some times it takes a little more than a test drive to fall in love with a Spyder, but when it hits ...................... You know it.

I much prefer a reverse trike (SPYDER) than a traditional trike, we literally run circles around them.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Rented one for a day and that did it for me, and the dealer reimbursed the rental when I purchased my spyder. Good luck with your decision.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

.....I have 7 yrs. on Spyders now, and I can ride my 2014 RT as fast or faster than I ever road my 2003 Gold Wing .................and I rode that like a Bat out of Hell ......Mike

Spyder Garage

Only things the same, da wind in yo face, you git wet, and yes you can fall off.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Once I got used to doing curves on the Spyder, then figuring out the safety systems built in, I am way more aggressive in the twisties on a Spyder than my two wheeler. Don't have to watch for gravel patches or wet leaves either.

As far as wind, rain and heat on the spider, it's the same as any other motorcycle.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

We went from years on assorted 2 wheels, last one being an FJR1300. Rented the Spyder for a day to get a feel for it and see if we really wanted to make the transition.
    We DID !! That was a few months ago and we're real happy about the decision.
    Different way to ride for sure but just as exhilarating. Took me probably 300 miles to used to it, little more upper body finessing to it but nothing adverse at all.
    Best advice I had from this forum was "to relax and let yourself go with it"
    The need to put my feet down at a stop never has happened for me and I've only grabbed for the handle bar brake once to remember it doesn't exist in stock form LOL

Go for it !!

Oh - they corner just fine :-))

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeit02 View Post
    I would like to hear from owners of trikes how do they go around corners can you be happy with one after riding two wheels for 40+ years. We like to ride the mountain curves and howis the wind rain and heat on the spider. I now ride a victory vision tour premium.
    You familiar with riding ATVs? The Spyder handling in a corner is much like an ATV. Different than two wheels for sure, but just as, if not more, thrilling than on two wheels. Mostly because of the secure feeling you have of not being apprehensive about the bike slipping out from under you. At least that has been my experience. On the Interstate I feel safer at 80 mph on the Spyder than I ever did at 70 on my 2005 Goldwing.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have both a Victory Cross Country Tour and a Spyder RTS and I think both are a blast
    to ride for different reasons. The Spyder will do the twisties as good or better than the
    Victory, and it is safer as you are not going to drop it or fall off of it unless you jump off!
    But I still have the urge to ride 2 wheels and can't think of giving it up as of yet anyway
    but I ride the Spyder as much as my wife will let me and it is the bike we take on vacation
    every year. But when the day comes for me to give up 2 wheels the Spyder F3-T will take
    the Victory's place in the garage!
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

I switched because I love the Spyder.. Soooo much fun to drive... Most fun I have had on a bike! I had 2wheelers for about 15 years. Honda Cbr 600rr was my last bike before the F3s.. Try it but you won't be sorry if you take the plunge!
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    To me the Spyder is just as much fun as a two wheeler. You can't lean the Spyder around curves like a two wheeler but it has a thrill of it's own. The only way for you to be sure is to test ride a Spyder at your dealer. But I can tell you this; you will never have to worry about going down on a slick spot or gravel or worry about putting your feet down at stop signs and traffic lights.
    It's a blast. I still have my two wheeler but only to rent to buds so we can go ride It takes some getting use to but can spoil you too. The curves are one thing but putting a pothole in right spot is the trick ( right under either mirror fyi) if you center it you will get a quick kick from the rear tire. You will learn. Rain i find is more acceptable on spyder. Still not nice but, not as bad,now with windshield,heated grips, nanny, storage for my dry stuff my other bikes have not had. better all around
    Last edited by Bfromla; 01-31-2016 at 10:45 PM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I went from two wheels to three back in July. Absolutely one of the best decisions in my life. Cornering is definitely different, but is more fun to me now because of how much safer I feel. I was in the mountains this past October with a group on two wheels. I had to hit the brakes to keep from running into them in the curves. If you do wind up getting one, look into the trike MSF class. Well worth the time. I say go for it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Many people feel like going from 2 to 3 wheels is a downgrade forced upon them by circumstances beyond their control. And this is probably true with most trikes. But NOT true with the Spyder. Yes, the Spyder does not lean so you do give that aspect up. But you get a boat load of advantages in return.

And the bottom line is you can still keep up with any 2 wheeled machine, (excluding crotch rockets which most sane people are not concerned with keeping up with in the 1st place). The Spyder is every bit as exhilarating and fun as riding 2 wheels, though granted, it is a different kind of fun.

So, will you miss 2 wheels? Maybe. Will you be sorry you got a Spyder. NOT LIKELY!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Gotta agree....

I'm only sorry I didn't switch back in 07 when they came out... and rode two Wheeler longer than you did. ..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

50 years on 2 wheels
    I can now go longer, faster, and safer.
    Plus, unlike a UltraTrike or similar, after a day of twisties, my arms are neither sore nor ache

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by bikeit02 View Post

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Chick Magnet

You guys forgot to mention it's a "Chick magnet", I get more waves from women (who can't see the gray hair with a helmet) I do get more slaps in the head from my girl friend for waving back though.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    You familiar with riding ATVs? The Spyder handling in a corner is much like an ATV.
    ... Or even a snowmobile!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Converting from two wheels to three highlights the different features of each type of motorcycle.
    The spyder is more physical in the turns. You have to lean your body into a turn, because the motorcycle doesn't lean.
    By the same token, the three wheller is far more stable in bad weather, as well as just sitting at a stoplight. I never went down at speed on any of my two wheeled bikes, but I did go down several times having my feet slip on gravel while backing up, stopping with my feet in a depressed part of the asphalt, or the ever embarrassing "I swear the kickstand was down".
    In the twisties, I prefer a Spyder over a traditional trike. The two wheels up front make the Spyder more stable than a traditional trike.
    More importantly, you can see both wheels, so you can cut through the turns without having to worry about the outside wheel falling off the road.
    What I found most difficult to transition ? I know this sound stupid (and it is) was just going straight on a level road.
    Like most of us, I always got in the habit of riding in the left tire track on the highway. When I positioned myself in the left tire track while riding the Spyder, the left wheel protruded into the land next to me.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Like skiing

To answer your question about "how to go around turns" on a ?

Like skiing------when turning " with vigor", step hard on the outside peg or floorboard and bend the inside elbow a bit. Moves your CG to the inside and lower. A bit like hanging off a sport bike. 2 wheels for decades--and I feel more comfortable at speed in the twisties on the Than on 2 wheels for all the above reasons. My wife----even more so.

Gravel and oil on the road cause::::::::

Kaos

PS: Consider an RT--With a few mods they corner really well and can take all your stuff. Wind/rain protection. Heated grips.
    Last edited by Lew L; 02-01-2016 at 11:09 AM. Reason: The PS.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

All good answers above.

There is a short "learning curve" since the handles differently from a two wheeler or a conventional trike.

: Avoid over control. Grab the hand grips like there are eggs between your hands and the grip. Don't break the eggs. A light push, pull is recommended. White knuckle driving will make the seem like it has a mind of its own.

: Accelerate as you make your turn. If you have to hit the brakes prior to entering a turn, you are going to fast.

: Put your weight on the outside peg or footboard.

: Lean slightly into the curve. This reduces the "g" forces.

: Drive like the race car drivers do--always enter from the inside of the curve and cross over to the outside (keeping between the lines).

You will feel in control of the and can exceed posted speeds in curves by 20 mph and still be in control. Not recommended of course.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-04-2016 at 03:20 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My biggest adjustment between two wheels ( still ride my ST1300 and Goldwing) to three wheels (2014 Spyder RT-S) was changing from the delayed apex technique on the 2 wheels to turning sooner on the Spyder. I could use the delayed apex with the Spyder, but I had to use more force to turn and there was more centrifugal force on me as well as my passenger than initiating the turn sooner with much lighter effort on the bars and less body lean-in needed. Rolling on the throttle in the turns seems to help the Spyder turn as well as it does for the 2 wheelers.

PS: For those who may not know, the delayed apex technique has you ride deeper into a corner before initiating your lean-in on a 2 wheeler. You turn sharper but spend less time leaned over. It also allows you to see farther through the turn.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ... Or even a snowmobile!
    Bob, what is a snowmobile? I did not start riding until 1947, loved my two wheelers but would not go beck to them. Mr. Cognac is great and Punkin' is a runner too. Love both....

Bob, please don't move to south Texas, our roads are cluttered with motorcycle trash....12 months a year....

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default It took me 300 miles for the Spyder to go from my worst mistake to a wonderful choice

Much easier on the 60 year old knees, as much fun as two wheels after becoming acclimatized.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!