Thread: Daytona 500 F3

Spyder Garage

Default Daytona 500 F3

​Does anyone know if the 2017 F3 Daytona comes with both the cowl and passenger seat
    2017 F3-S , circuit yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    ​Does anyone know if the 2017 F3 Daytona comes with both the cowl and passenger seat
    From a previous theread it does come supplied with both as new. And the passenger seat matches the driver seat stitching wise I seem to remember.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes, it does. Very nice. It actually limits the power output with the seat on. More power with just the cowl.

Spyder Garage

Default Why ?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    Yes, it does. Very nice. It actually limits the power output with the seat on. More power with just the cowl.

Doc, do I understand you to say, they detuned the engine with a passenger seat installed.... You gotta be kidding right ? That would be about the most asinine thing I'd every heard if BRP did that....
    Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't
    mean the circus has left town.
    - George Carlin

Hollywood, Maryland
    2015 F3S, SE-6
    oem backrest, oem saddlebags, F4 Customs windshield, oem fog lights
    2011 RSS, SE-5
    Handlebar Riser, Heat Wraped exhaust, Power ports int./ext., 23" touring windshield, Led brake lighting strips.

2014 RTL , Black

Spyder Garage

The Daytona is very flighty with 2 up. I can take a corner just a little above normal speed with my 90 lb grandson on the back and get wheel raise without cranking the throttle much at all.
    The way I figured it out was that I was ryding one up with the seat on (no cowl) and I noticed that the byke wasn't a peppy as when I first got it. I pulled the seat and got to looking and there is a large spring loaded disk that the seat sits against and depresses it. When you put the cowl on there is a void where the disk is. I'll take some pictures if anyone is interested. I think it's a liability factor for them and that the Daytona is primarily a one up machine that you can carry someone for a while. Just don't challenge the twisties 2 up.

They also did a sensor on the seat of the RT for a passenger, too.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Daytona is very flighty with 2 up. I can take a corner just a little above normal speed with my 90 lb grandson on the back and get wheel raise without cranking the throttle much at all.
    The way I figured it out was that I was ryding one up with the seat on (no cowl) and I noticed that the byke wasn't a peppy as when I first got it. I pulled the seat and got to looking and there is a large spring loaded disk that the seat sits against and depresses it. When you put the cowl on there is a void where the disk is. I'll take some pictures if anyone is interested. I think it's a liability factor for them and that the Daytona is primarily a one up machine that you can carry someone for a while. Just don't challenge the twisties 2 up.

They also did a sensor on the seat of the RT for a passenger, too.
    Wow! I actually thought you were pulling the guys leg with you said that it was detuned with the rear seat on. I guess what you said makes since, but I would have never expected that. I don't know of any other manufacturer that does that.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting. ...

Interesting twist on the passenger sensor and handling of the machine...a bit disappointing..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Has anybody asked Lamont about this question of power output changing for the presence or absence of a passenger?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Switch use

I believe the switch is present on all F3 series spyders. On mine I know it's used for suspension and stability control changes when a passenger is detected... I thought the only difference with the Daytona is a "sport" mode that could be activated by the rider ??

im a bit skeptical since the BRP website lists the same HP and Torque values for the Daytona 115HP, 96ftlb torque. That would mean the only way to enter a "Sport Mode" would be via programming changes to the traction control system and vehicle stability system.

If the Daytona was capable of developing more HP and /or more torque at the tire wouldn't they list that in the vehicle specs ? As the Spyder website says about the "Sport mode..." It's our most permissive stability system setting yet"
    Last edited by MDBrion; 01-09-2017 at 10:11 PM.
    - George Carlin

Hollywood, Maryland
    2015 F3S, SE-6
    2011 RSS, SE-5
    Handlebar Riser, Heat Wraped exhaust, Power ports int./ext., 23" touring windshield, Led brake lighting strips.

2014 RTL , Black

Spyder Garage

cowl.jpg

This is the Daytonas cowl. I have circled the two areas in question. The bottom circle disk is spring loaded. When you put the seat on it, it will depress it notifying the computer that a the passenger seat is installed. The upper circle shows the depression that does not depress the disk on the bottom. Maybe someone can find out more about it. I believe that with the cowl,the Daytona is the only one this applies to.

Spyder Garage

Default Switch Use

cowl.jpg

This is the Daytonas cowl. I have circled the two areas in question. The bottom circle disk is spring loaded. When you put the seat on it, it will depress it notifying the computer that a the passenger seat is installed. The upper circle shows the depression that does not depress the disk on the bottom. Maybe someone can find out more about it. I believe that with the cowl,the Daytona is the only one this applies to.
    I have the same switch on my F3S... I'm guessing the passenger select switch may serve the additional function on the Daytona for keeping it from entering "Sport mode" if a passenger is present... Would seem to make sense from a safety perspective...
    - George Carlin

Hollywood, Maryland
    2015 F3S, SE-6
    2011 RSS, SE-5

2014 RTL , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Switch

Take the seat off, no cowl, ride. Press the switch, ride. You feel the difference! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

All F3s have the seat sensor. I understood it altered both the stability/traction control and the brake bias to account for the extra weight of a passenger.

I'm sure I've read somwhere what weight it requires to activate it. Just fitting the passenger seat won't activate it, you would need a passenger on it.

Of course it may also disable the Daytona's sport mode when active.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboymorton View Post
    All F3s have the seat sensor. I understood it altered both the stability/traction control and the brake bias to account for the extra weight of a passenger.

I'm sure I've read somwhere what weight it requires to activate it. Just fitting the passenger seat won't activate it, you would need a passenger on it.

Of course it may also disable the Daytona's sport mode when active.
    With the seat in place on my Daytona the switch is depressed. No need for a ryder. The seat is set up to push the button, ryder or not.

15940400_10158192228180455_5475313008302772163_n.jpg15940628_10158192228220455_897233481890744680_n.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Different

With the seat in place on my Daytona the switch is depressed. No need for a ryder. The seat is set up to push the button, ryder or not.

15940400_10158192228180455_5475313008302772163_n.jpg15940628_10158192228220455_897233481890744680_n.jpg
    My switch doesn't activate unless a rider is present. I can actually press down on the passenger seat and hear it "click". I guess that means the Daytona doesn't actually have 3 modes ( normal, passenger, sport) . Question: How do you enter the "Sport" mode ? Is it controlled through the electronics mode switches on the left grip ? Or is the cowl/seat swap the only activation method.... Very curious !
    - George Carlin

Hollywood, Maryland
    2015 F3S, SE-6
    2011 RSS, SE-5

2014 RTL , Black

Spyder Garage

Interesting, the Daytona rear seat or pillion rider switch must be different then. Can't get at mine to compare as it's tucked up under it's outdoor cover as the weather is a bit wintery here.

Found this in the WSM:

PRS Pillion rider switch
    Signals the VCM when the PRS switch is depressed. the VCM applies changes to the control parameters, mainly to reduce maximum allowed lateral acceleration and yaw.

The PRS should definitely only be active when someone is sat on the seat, not all the time. It does rest on the switch but their is a fair bit of travel in it to activate it.

WSM pages attached:

PRS 1.jpgPRS 2.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MDBrion View Post
    My switch doesn't activate unless a rider is present. I can actually press down on the passenger seat and hear it "click". I guess that means the Daytona doesn't actually have 3 modes ( normal, passenger, sport) . Question: How do you enter the "Sport" mode ? Is it controlled through the electronics mode switches on the left grip ? Or is the cowl/seat swap the only activation method.... Very curious !
    To enter hooligan mode

To enter Hooligan mode, as Lamont calls it, I use the left controls to enter into it. I have only went into it once (to see how to do it). It is not really needed. On wet roads, it drifts pretty good regurarly.