Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Corbin Saddle vs Mustang

Hello

I am a relative new rider in need of some help saddle wise. I am 6'5" and the stock saddle is not very comfortable for me so I am interested in changing it out for either a Corbin or Mustang. My question is does either of these saddles sit lower then another and what are the over all thoughts on both.

2015 F3-S

Spyder Garage

I'm 6'5 with a 2015 F3-S. I hear about guys changing seats all the time. I actually prefer the stock one. I took some pretty long trips and have been comfortable. I will say that I stretch before the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can Am Spyder F3-S SE6
    2015 F3 , Gray/Black/Orange

Spyder Garage

Nick, I know this is not what you asked, but every bum is different. A Corbin might be brilliant for one bum (they are quite hard and conform over around 1000 miles or so), and horrible for another (because they are too hard). The same "may work, may not" applies to Mustang, although you hear far less complaints about Mustang as they are softer). The Corbin does tend to sit lower than shock.

However, if comfort is your prime consideration, have a look at Russell Daylong seats. You take photos of yourself (and riding partner, if applicable) sitting on the stock seat, send Russell the stock seat (or buy a cheap second hand one here or on eBay), and they will modify your stock seat to suit your build and riding position. They guarantee comfort, so if the changes don't work for you, they modify it until it does. I'm 6'7" and I have given up trying to find seats. As soon as I buy a new bike (or Spyder), I get Russell to make me a seat. Works every time. Only once, out of 6 seats, have I had to send the seat back for further modification.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I've had a Yamaha Silverado and I put a Mustang seat on it. I had a Harley Road King Classic and put a Mustang seat on it. There is no doubt the Mustang seat is a fine seat. I currently own a 2015 F3 and so far I'm happy with the stock seat. I think BRP did a pretty good job with the stock seat. Just my opinion though. Who knows.....maybe down the road......
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

I have had 2 motorcycles with Corbin seats,and that was 3 too many. In both cases I rode on them for over 10,000 miles and I never found them to "conform" They remained as uncomfortable at 10,000 miles as they were at mile 1. There was no breaking in for me. I realize that they must be pleasing many customers as they have been in business for over 40 years, but not for me. If you need a custom seat for your build I would check out Russel Daylong or an Ultimate seat.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default custom saddle

Quote Originally Posted by Nick131 View Post
    Hello

I am a relative new rider in need of some help saddle wise. I am 6'5" and the stock saddle is not very comfortable for me so I am interested in changing it out for either a Corbin or Mustang. My question is does either of these saddles sit lower then another and what are the over all thoughts on both.

2015 F3-S
    See if there is a custom saddlemaker near you. I wasn't happy with either the rider or passenger saddles on my F-3 and had custom ones built. They are a little more expensive than a production unit, but they will fit you exactly. Both my wife and I thought it was money well spent.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thank you all for the response to my very first post great group on this forum.

Spyder Garage

Default Russell Day Long...because

I got a Corbin for my '10 because (yes the main reason) of the gas door. Rode it over 110k and still was rock hard...not a complaint just a statement. But this Spring I will be getting a Russell Day Long built just for me and my body and ryding style. I stopped by their location last fall and was very impressed with the seat they build. But as others have said...what works for me, may not work for anyone else. So take your time and figure out what sounds like the fit for you.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    I got a Corbin for my '10 because (yes the main reason) of the gas door. Rode it over 110k and still was rock hard...not a complaint just a statement. But this Spring I will be getting a Russell Day Long built just for me and my body and ryding style. I stopped by their location last fall and was very impressed with the seat they build. But as others have said...what works for me, may not work for anyone else. So take your time and figure out what sounds like the fit for you.
    Sorry, but that's not quite correct, Murphy. If you buy a stock Corbin, Mustang, Ultimate, Sargeant etc etc, then the "what works for me, may not work for anyone else" statement definitely applies, and if it doesn't work for you then you send it back and try again with a different brand.

However, Daylong guarantees that the seat they make for you will give you all day comfort and will modify it till they get it right. I am sure they have failed somewhere along the line, but I haven't heard of it. The downside is that some believe that they are not the most attractive seat in the world, but it's a matter of priorities.

Mind you, even with 20 years of seat buying experience I still thought the Cannonball aftermarket seat might do the job for me on the Spyder as it felt great in the showroom.......but....here's my current Daylong with the Sunbrella inserts (don't absorb heat like the leather and vinyl, are quite grippy, breathe well and don't fade) which is great for Oz).
    IMG_0416.jpg

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default corbin vs Mustang seats

First off, I've owned neither of these brands. I would like to point out something that may not be obvious at first glance. Have you ever heard of anyone selling their Russell Day Long seat because it didn't fit them or they couldn't get comfortable on it?? I'll admit that this might have happened; however I have not run across this type of for sale ad.

I HAVE seen lots of ads for corbin seats, just some food for thought.

And yes I'm biased as I own and ride on a RDL saddle and have not ever been happier putting in 600+ mile days.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Ultimate Seats has a 15 day return policy, if you don't like it send it back and get your money back. I don't know of anyone else that does that.
    SpYderman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fencepost View Post
    Ultimate Seats has a 15 day return policy, if you don't like it send it back and get your money back. I don't know of anyone else that does that.
    That would only be of value if Ultimate made seats for the OP's F3-S, Fencepost.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

I have owned both Corbin and Mustang brands of seats. My experience with Corbin is 50,000 plus miles. 23,500 on a GS/2008 model. The other Corbin seat got almost 30,000 miles on a 2010 RTS. I bought the first one because of the gas door. The main deal about Corbin is they are very hard. The lovers call them "supportive."

My current seat of choice for is the BRP Comfort seat. Firmer support than OEM "mush" seat, good set back at about 2 - 3 inches. We currently have them on both RT's.

Have used the Mustang brand of at least two regular MC's. Looks get a number 1, they set you about an inch lower from the OEM versions. Never had an issue or a problem with either brand.

RE: Corbins for sale. IMO--most want to sell privately because dealers give you virtually nothing in value for your $750 paid with out heat but with backrest. The killer on re-sale is the shipping rate was so high--and if you are from Alaska, prepare to get shafted. In both cases, I ended up getting close to my asking price (I am not greedy--I am a take the money and run person), but had to take up to $150 loss on the shipping. You have to look at re-sale seats as a sunk cost and not cry over any conceived value lost. I rationalize that the 50,000 great miles were worth something. That turns them into an opportunity cost. This shipping loss is outweighed by the pleasure of the miles I got from them.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-11-2017 at 08:09 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fencepost View Post
    Russel Day Long has a similar return policy.
    2015 F3 SE6 Black and Chrome, Smoothspyder Backrest and more to come.

Spyder Garage

We actually own both the Corbin and the Mustang seats for our RT.
    Teresa is the main rider on the Spyder and she prefers the Mustang seat to the Corbin at least on the Spyder.
    We like the gas door of the Corbin and the webbing, but the Mustang for us is a little more comfortable. The set back appears to be the same when you measure. The seat cut is a little straighter on the Mustang giving you a little more support. It is all up to personal preference.
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories