Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pondering F3

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default pondering F3

I started looking at motorcycles a few months ago. I've never owned a street bike. I'm in my low 50s and have a family, and I'm cautiously approaching the motorcycle decision.

At the dealer the other day I whimsically sat on the funny three wheeled thing... I didn't drive one, but I'm intrigued.

I of course realize these are not cars, no airbags, but it seems to me there is a real safety improvement (i.e tire washing out loose gravel less likely, etc...). Also, many two wheelers don't have ABS; so ABS, Traction control (and stability control) seem like real perks in terms of safety... or am I putting too much credit in that in my naivety? Is the risk of a high side accident more likely? What about for the passenger?

Any comments on serviceability and reliability?

I'm focused on a fun around town toy; it's not going to be my daily driver, do most folk go with standard transmission?

I'm somewhat concerned about storage space (my reference point is a car); would I be better off buying the -T, or adding bags to a non -t version? Back to safety... would the wider lighting area of the -t be harder for a car driver to miss?

My friends that have motorcycles all think I should go two wheels... I'm not really concerned with their gut feeling, just wanting the technical merits of each solution; and don't want to dismiss their opinion too quickly (although I don't think they have offered any real data, other than pointing out cost).

Thanks for any help!

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see....

I would start with a test ryde of the different models. When you decide on the one best suited then go to the storage issue. Many options none as roomy as a car. the new models are very reliable and low maintenance. So have fun finding the best one for you and then farkle it to your liking...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Reliability and Toy

Quote Originally Posted by pville View Post
    I started looking at motorcycles a few months ago. I've never owned a street bike. I'm in my low 50s and have a family, and I'm cautiously approaching the motorcycle decision.

At the dealer the other day I whimsically sat on the funny three wheeled thing... I didn't drive one, but I'm intrigued.

I of course realize these are not cars, no airbags, but it seems to me there is a real safety improvement (i.e tire washing out loose gravel less likely, etc...). Also, many two wheelers don't have ABS; so ABS, Traction control (and stability control) seem like real perks in terms of safety... or am I putting too much credit in that in my naivety? Is the risk of a high side accident more likely? What about for the passenger?

I'm focused on a fun around town toy; it's not going to be my daily driver, do most folk go with standard transmission?

I'm somewhat concerned about storage space (my reference point is a car); would I be better off buying the -T, or adding bags to a non -t version? Back to safety... would the wider lighting area of the -t be harder for a car driver to miss?

My friends that have motorcycles all think I should go two wheels... I'm not really concerned with their gut feeling, just wanting the technical merits of each solution; and don't want to dismiss their opinion too quickly (although I don't think they have offered any real data, other than pointing out cost).

Thanks for any help!
    Hi Pville,
    You mentioned reliability, I can report to you as a newbie and new ownership of a F3-S since last November there has been no problems in all 1,600 winter miles I have done. Those 1,600 miles I have done are a mixture of motorways, dual carriageways, single carriageways, city and town riding.

You also mentioned you are focused on a fun around town toy. For me my F3-S is the weekend toy for the town, city and motorway.
    Last edited by Darren111; 01-27-2016 at 09:01 AM.
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

I will answer some of your questions and save some for others.

The current batch of 's is pretty good and reliable. Beginning with 2014, the introduction of the 1330 triple engine in the RT and now in the RT and the F3 a new era has begun.

The 1330's run at lower rpm's and require less maintenance than the 998's did. A bonus is increased gas mileage (about 10 mpg).

Always better to buy a package rather than add on accessories.

Test drives are recommended. I have had five assorted and have 130,000 fun, fun, fun miles on all combined. 4 998's, 1 1330, 1 manual transmission and 4 semi automatics. I prefer semi automatics.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default pondering

You will not to sorry if you choose 3 wheels over 2 wheels, theses 3 wheels are very addictive you just cant leave them alone, I have a 2015 sts special series and I cant keep my hands off it. These are far more fun than a motorcycle could ever be. I am 66 years old and these are far more safe than any motorcycle. Mine is a semi automatic which I like more than a manual but to each his own. Good luck on your choice and have FUN.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think that without a doubt, the spyder is a lot safer than any 2 wheeler due to the reasons that you mentioned. As for choosing between a F3 and a F3T, I am definately not a fan of the storage amount on the F3. If I had a F3, I would have to bite the bullet and purchase a set of Corbin bags (they are the best looking of any IMOP). I have not seen the F3T in person, but I like the photos that I have seen. My only hope is that the bags are large enough to be useful. Good luck with your shopping.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NEWBE

.................You have found the right place for answers.....But I wouldn't even think too seriously until you take a test drive...if you don't have a MTC. lic. that's going to be a problem tho.........I have an RT and wouldn't go with any other for sooooooooo many reasons......storage , Radio is not optional on this model, lots of storage, way more comfort for the passenger, and once you learn how to REALLY drive an RT it will keep up with most bikes and ALL Spyder's............ONLY consider something with the 1330 engine.......Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 01-26-2016 at 07:32 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Unless your touring I am not sure what all these people carry that need so much storage space. Front frunk has always been able to carry all the items I need plus a couple of bags of groceries if I stop for something.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .................You have found the right place for answers.....But I wouldn't even think too seriously until you take a test drive...if you don't have a MTC. lic. that's going to be a problem tho.........I have an RT and wouldn't go with any other for sooooooooo many reasons......storage , Radio is not an option, lots of storage, way more comfort for the passenger, and once you learn how to REALLY drive an RT it will keep up with most bikes and ALL Spyder's............ONLY consider something with the 1330 engine.......Mike
    and take a test drive. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Exclamation

I believe most owners prefure the semi auto transmission, and resale would be easier. The two wheels in front are more stable than two in rear, and of course much more than a two wheel bike. Please do not think of just tooling around town. Take the wife on a blue line highway, explore, see something different. Stop at a strange restaurant. Enjoy the crowd that gathers every time you stop for gas.
    Roger

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome

glad that you have joined us. We are here to help, ask questions.

My first spyder was a 2012RTS-SE5 ( Semi- Automatic) with the 998 engine, then I upgraded to my current and it is a 2014RTS-SE6 ( Semi-Automatic). I am happy that I upgraded.

It has a quiter engine, very comfortable, you can pass thru town with out downshifting, and you can cruise comfortably at 3,300 RPM's with the outstanding ride of this new 6 speed transmission. You can go farther on a tank of gas( 252miles) at 62 mph, it produces high-torque response in every gear and 40% more low-end torque. But torque doesn't come at a cost of the fuel economy or CO emissions. Also, you can more and spend less, thanks to low vehicle maintance. Even the sound of it makes while on the road is unique and impressive, with the in-line configuration producing a refined, signature quality that stands out from the motorcycle crowd.

You also have the "new 1200-Watt Alternator which gives you 85% more power for your electronic accessories. A new total capacity of 1200W ,instead of the previous 650W, lets you enjoy more accessories on your spyder RT.

It has the NEW Rotax 1330 ACE engine, it has the NEW ECO mode Smart Assist- optimize your shifting behavior with the new ECO mode smart assist. Combined with the fuel efficiency of the Rotax 1330 Ace engine and the new 6 speed transmission, it reduces your fuel consumption on long trips.

Good luck and choose the right spyder for you!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

...I'm focused on a fun around town toy; it's not going to be my daily driver,...
    Oh yeah, then you better NOT take a test ride! If you do, it's a gold plated guaranty a Spyder will be a "get on it every time you possibly can" ride.

Do it! Have fun and be safe.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I rode on 2 wheels for 20 years before finally getting a Spyder. Been wanting one since I saw one in 2008, finally got one last year!

I wouldn't go back to 2 wheels now. Both for safety and fun. Yes, I enjoyed leaning into corners but Spyders are fun in corners too, just different.

I bought a manual F3S, and I also have a semi-auto RS-S. Love them both; I wish the RS-S was a manual just so I would have an easier time going back and forth between the 2. My brother has an RT-S, he likes it, I am less crazy about it; just feels like there is "too much of it" (but that's just me).

If I was buying one right now and budget was a concern, I would get a new 2015 F3S (at a HUGE discount) and add whatever saddle bags and other farkles, and still come out way ahead of the new F3T package. There are still a few brand new 2015's to be had around the country, both in manual and semi-auto. Look on Craigslist and ebay to compare prices if you like.
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Spyder Garage

All of your assumptions regarding the safety, stability, and overall ease of operation of the F3 are correct. I turn 50 this year so I'm in your age group. I've had a few two wheel motorcycles over the years and I don't miss them now that I have my spyder. All of my previous rides I've dropped at least once. Ask your friends and I'd guess that any of them who have been riding for awhile have dropped a bike. I've seen youtube videos of riders with decades of experience drop a bike during a slow speed u-turn. On the F3 it can't happen. The spyder is just so rider friendly. I get a grin every time I put her in reverse, this beats the hell out of duck walking a bike backwards. I feel more confident in the F3's brakes than any other vehicle, bike or car, I've owned, they are almost idiot proof. The semi auto transmission is a dream, all the good of a manual with none of the bad. Cruise control? Yes please! The learning curve on a spyder is much shorter than a two wheeler, you'll be enjoying the ride in no time. In my state you don't even need a motorcycle license.

As to the storage question and which model of F3, that probably comes down to a budget call. As someone else mentioned the 2015 F3's are available for up to 5k off MSRP if you shop around, thats a screaming deal compared to what an 2016 F3-T will cost. This type of deal is what finally convinced me to get my F3S SE6 at the end of last year. I think if you test ride a two wheeler you'll come away feeling like its gonna take awhile to be comfortable. Test ride a spyder and you'll be having fun almost immediately. Obviously we're gonna be a biased crowd on a spyder forum, but many of us have a fair amount of two wheeler experience so we can at least offer some sort of comparison. I'm not sure your friends can do that. Anyways, enjoy whatever you end up going with, little beats riding with good friends, on two wheels or three.
    '82 Honda MB5, '98 Yamaha VStar Classic, '14 Honda Grom, '15 Indian Scout, '15 Can Am Spyder F3S SE6

Spyder Garage

I just got my F3S in November and though have had limited riding it was amazing fun... I used to ride 2 wheels and switched due to love of the Spyder... Go for it... You will not be disappointed.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Just Do It

Thanks for any help!
    Myself and wifey have a 2011 RT-S also a 2013 ST Limited.. Have test drove the F3 a few times and find it very comfy to ride..feet are forward which helps with the comfort, sits low also.. Performance is OUTSTANDING.. Semi auto shift with a 6 speed makes it a thrill to drive.. I think youd be happy with the F3 choice..

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the great information everyone, I appreciate such a helpful and encouraging community. I took my motorcycle endorsement class last weekend. I am prepared (and have hall pass) for a two wheeler immediately, but if I'm going to up the cost to that of an F3, I may be looking at sometime in February before I am ready to drive one off the lot (I need to research, process and get wife on board, even though the 2015 deals are sweet, I may miss them).

I would like like to refine my expected use and ask a couple of further questions:

-My preference is sporty and fun, but also functional. I won't be doing much overnight travel (maybe a rare solo trip), my wife won't leave town without her dog, so we will be in car. The flip side is that I'll likely want to ride to work every chance I get; this means I need to be able to carry my gym bag, a laptop, and be able to grab a few things at grocery store. I'm thinking I can use a laptop backpack, gym bag in front compartment, and added on storage (or -t) for groceries, and other stuff. I'm thinking the F3 would be functionally ok, and since my preference is sporty over travel, it's the right choice.

- My understanding is that the RT is tuned less hot rod than the F3 models (not sure if it's hardware, or software, but regardless it's set up for a more touring style of enjoyment). Can anyone comment on this? Also, is it safe to assume the F3 would be comfortable for 2-up day trips (I'll add sissy bar for back seat.. but nothing compares to that throne of a backseat on the RT).

I'm going to call my insurance agent, and make sure I have coverage for test riding (two or three wheels), and plan to test ride Spyders in the next week.

Thanks again for all the help.
    Barry

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There appears to be a little more pep in the F3, when compared to the RT, but I would think that it is due to the actual weight of the bike, not the engine. There may be a sprocket size difference, but it is not a deal breaker. I like the F3, but I don't think you will be able to fit a laptop of any size in the frunk of the F3. If the savings is enough, you can possibly add a set of corbin bags and solve that issue. As for comfort, there is no comparison in the rear seating on the F3 and RT. If you let the wife test ride with you on the back of the RT, you will be bringing the RT home and only having fond memories of test riding the F3. But, you will soon forget about it and just enjoy the time that you get to spend with your spouse and the additional storage.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    There appears to be a little more pep in the F3, when compared to the RT, but I would think that it is due to the actual weight of the bike, not the engine. There may be a sprocket size difference, but it is not a deal breaker. I like the F3, but I don't think you will be able to fit a laptop of any size in the frunk of the F3. If the savings is enough, you can possibly add a set of corbin bags and solve that issue. As for comfort, there is no comparison in the rear seating on the F3 and RT. If you let the wife test ride with you on the back of the RT, you will be bringing the RT home and only having fond memories of test riding the F3. But, you will soon forget about it and just enjoy the time that you get to spend with your spouse and the additional storage.
    Thanks for the comments, good stuff. It may be hard to sniff out the "pep" difference in test rides, as I'll be first time riding, and somewhat timid on a test ride. If anyone has more specific experience in this regard it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Barry

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE CHOICE

Thanks for the comments, good stuff. It may be hard to sniff out the "pep" difference in test rides, as I'll be first time riding, and somewhat timid on a test ride. If anyone has more specific experience in this regard it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Barry
    ....I'm back from post #7, unless you buy a 2015 F-3, you will pay big bucks ( I just saw a 15 F-3s with SE trans for $16,000 NEW )....I suggest you take what you think you will want to carry with you to the dealership.....and see if you can get it on/in/over the F-3 ( not happening ).............as far as sporting goes, when I'm with a group of Spyders, if I'm in the lead, I will be far ahead of the pack , not matter what Spyders they are riding...........Once you learn HOW to drive one , it's plenty sporty.....jmho......Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the great information everyone, I appreciate such a helpful and encouraging community. I took my motorcycle endorsement class last weekend. I am prepared (and have hall pass) for a two wheeler immediately, but if I'm going to up the cost to that of an F3, I may be looking at sometime in February before I am ready to drive one off the lot (I need to research, process and get wife on board, even though the 2015 deals are sweet, I may miss them).

I would like like to refine my expected use and ask a couple of further questions:

-My preference is sporty and fun, but also functional. I won't be doing much overnight travel (maybe a rare solo trip), my wife won't leave town without her dog, so we will be in car. The flip side is that I'll likely want to ride to work every chance I get; this means I need to be able to carry my gym bag, a laptop, and be able to grab a few things at grocery store. I'm thinking I can use a laptop backpack, gym bag in front compartment, and added on storage (or -t) for groceries, and other stuff. I'm thinking the F3 would be functionally ok, and since my preference is sporty over travel, it's the right choice.

- My understanding is that the RT is tuned less hot rod than the F3 models (not sure if it's hardware, or software, but regardless it's set up for a more touring style of enjoyment). Can anyone comment on this? Also, is it safe to assume the F3 would be comfortable for 2-up day trips (I'll add sissy bar for back seat.. but nothing compares to that throne of a backseat on the RT).

I'm going to call my insurance agent, and make sure I have coverage for test riding (two or three wheels), and plan to test ride Spyders in the next week.

Thanks again for all the help.
    Barry
    I sold my RT Limited for an F3. I could fit my laptop and extra riding gear, and room for groceries on the RT without having to carry anything extra. On the F3, I have the saddlebags, and I cannot fit my laptop into anything on the spyder itself. I wear a laptop backpack when I ride to work, or I use my top case if I don't feel like wearing the backpack. With that, I have SOME room for riding gear and/or groceries, but there's not that much room. For me, the fun of the F3 is worth the tradeoff of storage, but it sounds like that may not work for you. You may want to rethink some stuff -- maybe you go home and drop off all the work stuff and THEN go to the grocery store (more riding time that way )
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Storage...
    This is where you need to carefully look at your needs...
    I'm all about carrying stuff with me: the "RT's for me"!
    If you're more about the "minimalist side of life"; the F-3 could be your ride!

(But riding two-up: no other Spyder model can match the RT's saddle.)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....I'm back from post #7, unless you buy a 2015 F-3, you will pay big bucks ( I just saw a 15 F-3s with SE trans for $16,000 NEW )....I suggest you take what you think you will want to carry with you to the dealership.....and see if you can get it on/in/over the F-3 ( not happening ).............as far as sporting goes, when I'm with a group of Spyders, if I'm in the lead, I will be far ahead of the pack , not matter what Spyders they are riding...........Once you learn HOW to drive one , it's plenty sporty.....jmho......Mike
    I called the sales person, he is getting back to me with 2015 inventory and pricing. Thanks for the kick in rump!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post
    I sold my RT Limited for an F3. I could fit my laptop and extra riding gear, and room for groceries on the RT without having to carry anything extra. On the F3, I have the saddlebags, and I cannot fit my laptop into anything on the spyder itself. I wear a laptop backpack when I ride to work, or I use my top case if I don't feel like wearing the backpack. With that, I have SOME room for riding gear and/or groceries, but there's not that much room. For me, the fun of the F3 is worth the tradeoff of storage, but it sounds like that may not work for you. You may want to rethink some stuff -- maybe you go home and drop off all the work stuff and THEN go to the grocery store (more riding time that way )
    Thanks for the first hand experience, being that you've owned both.

Best Regards,
    Barry