Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default What would be the cost of an excellent suspension for an ST ?

We are seriously looking at replacing our GL1800 GoldWing with an ST. Our riding is almost always 2up heavy and spirited in twisties. First, are there any years or models of ST better than others in the suspension category to start with? Don't care about chrome, connectivity, radios, headted grips, cruise or any of that stuff just looking for best handling for our style of riding.

Second, what would the cost be to get the relatively best suspension for the ST? The sky is not the limit for me, but I did spend $3,800 to get the wing's suspension to where it was good, so given those parameters, what is the best suspension setup?

Also, are there any ST models I should avoid? I have read about the heat issues some people have encountered, but aside from that are there any others?

Thanks for the help

Spyder Garage

I have never ridden an ST but do spend a good bit of time in the NC mountain twisties pushing it solo and for the description of your riding style I strongly suggest seriously test riding one on curvy backroads because the Spyder is nothing like leaning it over and blowing through the twisties on two wheels.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default What would be the cost of an excellent suspension for an ST ?

Sway bar, Elka shocks and a laser alignment should do it. Shocks and sway bar are available from the sponsors of this site on the home page.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Two up and coming from a Gold Wing? Would the RT not be a better choice? I've ridden on the back of our ST and I must say, I couldn't wait to get off of it.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

From what I have seen about $2,500.00+ depending on the choices . As mentioned you should start with some ryding first then modifying to suit your ryde. We have an RS and went at it step by step. BajaRon sway bar and him joints, Pittbull shock relocations (not needed on later models) and the Fox front shocks. We ryde double up and are happy with this set up. If you go for the best you will see the Elka's and Race Tech shocks are top of the line but are pricy. I still run the stock rear but hope to change some day .
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I have never ridden an ST but do spend a good bit of time in the NC mountain twisties pushing it solo and for the description of your riding style I strongly suggest seriously test riding one on curvy backroads because the Spyder is nothing like leaning it over and blowing through the twisties on two wheels.
    At this point staying on two is not in the picture. Got bitten three times, and am a little gun shy.

1. 2010, Killed a Deer, Totaled a Concours broken thumb 2 hours surgery, 4 broken ribs got a helicopter ride .
    2. 2013 Oil, 30 mph low side 3 broken ribs broken wrist 8 hours surgery 2 plates 8 screws 10 weeks recovery.
    3. 2015 Gravel in 15MPH curve tried to dirt track, Dumba$$ me put foot down and it got caught between peg and road. Did not go down, but broke ankle in 3 places 6 hours surgery one plate, 11 screws, 8 weeks recovery, Can now predict the weather with ankle. BOSS was on for all 3 and only got relatively minor scrapes.

Since I could not talk the BOSS into a slingshot, Spyder is the most likely next step.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd View Post
    Two up and coming from a Gold Wing? Would the RT not be a better choice? I've ridden on the back of our ST and I must say, I couldn't wait to get off of it.
    Did a test sit and the RT is more cramped for two, and boss ,liked the seating better. Also most of our riding is day trips of around 400 miles so extra storage space not necessary. We would probably get a trailer for longer trips. Would like to get the 3 cylander, but the F3's are even more cramped than the RT.

Spyder Garage

Makes sense. I'd definitely suggest a top box or backrest then.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Ouch! No, triple ouch!!! The BOSS is a very luck lady. IMO, a Slingshot is a Miata missing a wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by bug's zedi View Post
    At this point staying on two is not in the picture. Got bitten three times, and am a little gun shy.

1. 2010, Killed a Deer, Totaled a Concours broken thumb 2 hours surgery, 4 broken ribs got a helicopter ride .
    2. 2013 Oil, 30 mph low side 3 broken ribs broken wrist 8 hours surgery 2 plates 8 screws 10 weeks recovery.
    3. 2015 Gravel in 15MPH curve tried to dirt track, Dumba$$ me put foot down and it got caught between peg and road. Did not go down, but broke ankle in 3 places 6 hours surgery one plate, 11 screws, 8 weeks recovery, Can now predict the weather with ankle. BOSS was on for all 3 and only got relatively minor scrapes.

Since I could not talk the BOSS into a slingshot, Spyder is the most likely next step.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Test drives are recommended if possible. The ST is the RS configuration with a few extra accessories added in. The RT will be much closer to the Gold Wing when it comes to ride and comfort options.

Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default St ergonomics

I had an rs and now have st - the ergonomics are totally different for the rider with the rs a lean to bars and the st more upright, tho I can and do still lean forward to have fun in the twisties. Re suspension, upgraded sway bar and laser alignment (essential) is all I have done but I ride one-up. Have fun.
    nb a backrest is essential for the pillion, my backrest on a top box suits grandson and me on the odd occasion quite well. I was pillion on my husbands f3 with smooth spyder backrest and found it very comfy - the f3 is worth another test ride for sure, just ensure you test it with a pillion backrest.
    Last edited by loisk; 01-21-2016 at 03:17 PM.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Well

Quote Originally Posted by bug's zedi View Post

I think both of you would enjoy the Spyder better than the Polaris Three Wheeled Car!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    I think both of you would enjoy the Spyder better than the Polaris Three Wheeled Car!
    My Wife would agree. I was just looking for something different. When it comes to a car, what is there not to like with a slingshot? Supercar performance for motorcycle$$$ Boss said she wants to ride tandem so she can still cuddle, so tandem it is.

Spyder Garage

I would not recommend getting an ST for the type of ryding you want to do. The RT is much more suited for what you want to do. I tried doing 2 up with my wife and it was not enjoyable to drive for either of us. I did not have a rider back rest though. We were way over the weight limit though. The worst thing was the breaking was much harder. Now I ryde the spyder and she rides the Harley.
    Last edited by AY4B; 01-21-2016 at 05:31 PM.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I got to disagree with AY4B on this. I have an '14 ST and ride 2-up 80% of the time and love it. I'm 6'4" and a big guy, my wife is 5'4" and we think it fits better than think an RT. We do have a Can-Am backrest. Nether one of us are that light and we both comment on how great it rides.

The front shocks on a ST are Fox Podium (great shocks)! The only thing we needed for better handling was a Baja Ron sway bar (huge improvement)!

Mike
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up ST Suspension

I have a 2013 ST-S.
    Added a BajaRon Sway Bar and Links.
    Also add BajaRon Front Spring Load Adjusters.
    Will do a Laser Alignment as soon as the snow and salt clear away.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Laser alignment $80-120
    Baka Ron Sway Bar plus him links (must) $150-200
    Ella Shocks $1400+. Extra if dealer does install

All well worth the cost. Makes for a way better ride. I don't have a passenger but I do have Corbin saddlebags that can carry more than the GOLDWING bags do plus small trunk. Call Elka and ask them for the right shocks for your needs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default '13 STS

Can't get my wife off the machine. She is a very happy passenger (and comfortable).

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I would not recommend getting an ST for the type of ryding you want to do. The RT is much more suited for what you want to do. I tried doing 2 up with my wife and it was not enjoyable to drive for either of us. I did not have a rider back rest though. We were way over the weight limit though. The worst thing was the breaking was much harder. Now I ryde the spyder and she rides the Harley.
    Just curious, what is the recommended carrying Capacity for the various types of Spyders? Aside from the fact that we find the RT more cramped, I thought they are very closely related under the skin. Aside of course from the newer RT's with the 3 cylinder, but that is outside of our budget for now. For suspension though, particularly rear, how different are they? I was under the opinion that given that the ST was not carrying around as much baggage that it could therefore carry around more payload. Am I wrong on this? I also thought that the braking would be identical, but I have not looked at the spec's, maybe I should do that.

It took over $3,800 to make the wing feel right, and that included the heaviest springs possible from TRAXXION. When loaded with all gear we were pushing close to 1,700 pounds gross weight on the Wing. That is the main reason we ran dark, but that is a totally different issue.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    I have a 2013 ST-S.
    Added a BajaRon Sway Bar and Links.
    Also add BajaRon Front Spring Load Adjusters.
    Will do a Laser Alignment as soon as the snow and salt clear away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Laser alignment $80-120
    Baka Ron Sway Bar plus him links (must) $150-200
    Ella Shocks $1400+. Extra if dealer does install

All well worth the cost. Makes for a way better ride. I don't have a passenger but I do have Corbin saddlebags that can carry more than the GOLDWING bags do plus small trunk. Call Elka and ask them for the right shocks for your needs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This is exactly what I am looking for, but what about the rear? Who makes upgrades for that, or is it unnecessary?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The rear shock is one Elka shock and you would probably need a stage 2 or better. Most of us replace OEM tire with beefier car tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Susie - 2013 Spyder ST-Ltd
    Flame Red '04 GL1800
    '97 GL1500
    '95 GL1500
    '89 GL1500
    '83 GL1100
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

The rear shock is one Elka shock and you would probably need a stage 2 or better. Most of us replace OEM tire with beefier car tire.

Flame Red '04 GL1800
    '97 GL1500
    '95 GL1500
    '89 GL1500
    '83 GL1100
    How does the elka shocks compare with the shocks that came with my Limited?
    Gas-charged FOX PODIUM shocks with 5.5 in. (142 mm)

The recomended max load is 440 pounds BTW

I recently added the Spyderpops skid plate and seem to bottom out a lot more. If I add more tension to the springs, would this help?
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

My comments on the 2 up ride are just from someone just starting out new. My wife complained that she felt she was going to fall off the back without any backrest. I tried to compensate by trying to be more careful not to accelerate, turn or brake too aggressively. I imagine If she had no riding experience, I would have beefed up the spyder but she chose to get her own bike.
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had the Fox shocks for about 10k miles and they were bottoming out when I went up/down driveways. I was able to adjust them so the wheels were back to vertical. After about 3000 miles I got Elka's.

You have to break the two locking rings loose them move the upper one up and tighten them again.

Flame Red '04 GL1800
    '97 GL1500
    '95 GL1500
    '89 GL1500
    '83 GL1100
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I had the Fox shocks for about 10k miles and they were bottoming out when I went up/down driveways. I was able to adjust them so the wheels were back to vertical. After about 3000 miles I got Elka's.

You have to break the two locking rings loose them move the upper one up and tighten them again.

Flame Red '04 GL1800
    '97 GL1500
    '95 GL1500
    '89 GL1500
    '83 GL1100

I bought the tool I need to do the adjustment but did not know how much to go with it.
    From what you are saying I gather the wheels need to be vertical/plumb with me on the bike? I guess I can get my 4 foot level and stand it up against the wheel with my weight on it to see where it is?
    2017 F3 Limited