Spyder Garage

Default What tool is needed for the tabs on the upper side panels?

Am in process of removing the tupperware to have it painted but those odd screw heads, like the two in the upper side panels, require some sort of special tool. They look sorta like a torx but have prong in the center.

What are they and where would I go to find one? I don't have time to order one so I'll need to find it locally. Worse comes to
    worse, I'll take the parts by my local Spyder shop and have them remove them for me.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Default Security screw

I've seen similar heads on tamper resistant screws. I believe Graingers carries the screwdriver to remove them. Just in case you were not aware, those are meant to not be removed, but I see your painting so it makes sense why you want to remove. I like your dealer idea so,you didn't have to buy a tool you'll probably only use once.

Good luck with the paint project.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

DON'T TOUCH THEM!!!!!!!!

They are not meant to be "monkeyed-with"...
    The alignment of the stuff that they hold is pretty important; let the dealership play with them...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 01-18-2016 at 06:26 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

They are very definitely removable and will be removed before I take the panels to the paint shop. On my previous "11 RT I had one to break and I replaced it myself by knocking out the center pin on them.

I have excellent relations with the two mechanics who own their own tools and they will undoubtedly remove them for me or loan me the tool.

I was hoping to avoid the extra trip to the shop to get them out and another to get them back on, but will if I can't find a screwdriver/tool locally.

The panels are already off. The biggest job seems to be cleaning them as its too cold to do it outside. Haven't yet tackled the Frunk, but will get to that tomorrow or Wednesday. Also, the utility door in front of the seat looks like it may not be easy to remove. However, it was put on by people and I'll get it off.
    Last edited by ulflyer; 01-18-2016 at 07:16 PM.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Do not remove them. The head is a safety torx, only used if you break the pins. Just pull the panel off.

If for some reason you need to remove them (painting?) you need to purchase a safety torx kit.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Am in process of removing the tupperware to have it painted but those odd screw heads, like the two in the upper side panels, require some sort of special tool. They look sorta like a torx but have prong in the center.

What are they and where would I go to find one? I don't have time to order one so I'll need to find it locally. Worse comes to
    worse, I'll take the parts by my local Spyder shop and have them remove them for me.
    It's called a Security Torx Bit. Home Depot, Sears, Lowes, etc, have them in the store. The bit has a hole in the center where the pin in the screw head is.

Since the panels are already off, just note which fastener goes where because they're different on the back side and note the orientation of the pins on the back side. Perhaps use your phone and take pictures. Then when you get the panels back from the shop, reinstall the fasteners first, then put the panels back on the bike. No problems.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 01-18-2016 at 07:49 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Default Security Torx Bit like others have said.. I got a security bit assortment at Harbor

They are very definitely removable and will be removed before I take the panels to the paint shop. On my previous "11 RT I had one to break and I replaced it myself by knocking out the center pin on them.

I have excellent relations with the two mechanics who own their own tools and they will undoubtedly remove them for me or loan me the tool.

I was hoping to avoid the extra trip to the shop to get them out and another to get them back on, but will if I can't find a screwdriver/tool locally.

The panels are already off. The biggest job seems to be cleaning them as its too cold to do it outside. Haven't yet tackled the Frunk, but will get to that tomorrow or Wednesday. Also, the utility door in front of the seat looks like it may not be easy to remove. However, it was put on by people and I'll get it off.
    I have several of the Torx Bit sets from Harbor Freight including a Red Vinyl kit with a wide assortment of the "Security" type bits in it. When I run get stumped on a tool from my travel kit, the Red Kit I keep on the shelf seems to have it including those with an empty center to fit the tamper proof stem in these special Torx machine screws.
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Look at this picture

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    Do not remove them. The head is a safety torx, only used if you break the pins. Just pull the panel off.

If for some reason you need to remove them (painting?) you need to purchase a safety torx kit.

Pam
    This photo does the best job of illustrating why Spyders should not be sharing a lane with another motorcycle that I have ever seen. Thank you.

Spyder Garage

It's a T20 Torx Security Bit, available at Home Depot. I agree with others who have cautioned about making sure you have the exact orientation before removing as the knob on the other end, PN 705003842, has to pop directly into the rubber oval washer, PN705000321.
    Last edited by JayBros; 01-18-2016 at 10:38 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Ted,
    I've got a set of security bits that you can borrow. We're meeting at Johnny's for breakfast on Sunday if you can wait that long, or you can stop by anytime.
    2012 RT LTD Lava Bronze, Ultimate seat, backrests and fuel door. Two Brothers Titanamium. Laser Alignment, Seals Floorboards. BajaRon Sway Bar and links, Spyderpops blockoff, Grilles, Missing Belt Guard, Bumpskid, Gold Wing Windshield Vent, Kewlmetal Helmet Locks, Rumbling Pride Flag Holders, Cup holders, Signal LED's on mirrors, Baker Built belt stabilizer, gremlin bell, Bad Boy air horn, TricLed 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th taillights and fender LED strips. RT-622 trailer, ........More to come.

Spyder Garage

Cool

search Amazon "security torx tool"
    let's ride safe & be careful out there,
    Mike in Nawlins'
    2014 Black SE6 Limited "Charlotte"
    New Orleans Ride Captain
    Patriot Guard Riders

Spyder Garage

I bought my set at OReillys.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Advance, Auto zone any parts store has them in a set
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    This photo does the best job of illustrating why Spyders should not be sharing a lane with another motorcycle that I have ever seen. Thank you.
    I don't know what this has to do the the OP's question regarding tools for the safety torx, but I'll respond nonetheless...

Take another look at the photo. You may notice that we were stopped at a traffic light at the time this was taken. Rule of thumb for group riding is to ride staggered, but when stopped at a traffic light to bunch up in pairs.

Pam
    Last edited by Pampurrs; 01-19-2016 at 05:23 PM.

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Thanks all for the input. Found a single T20 Sec bit at my local hardware for $4 and it did the job nicely.

Have now got all the tupperware panels off with exception of
    those attached to the frunk. Looks like I have to remove the
    entire frunk in order to get at those. Not looking forward to that job. Left it for tomorrow.

The fenders were a royal bitch with so many screws and bolts underneath that were hard to screw out. None of the other parts were difficult.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)