Spyder Garage

Default Modifing orginial seat on 2011 RT

Has anyone tried taking seat to an upholstery person to get the driver part of the seat redone? I would like to get rid of the some of the support they tried to put in for the drivers lower back. If one took an 1" or so out of it and added a Utopia or similar back rest, seems like it would be much more comfortable.
    Thanks. Roger

Spyder Garage

I have thought about the same thing. Using a local upholsterer. Only custom seat makers I am aware of are on the left coast. We have tried Corbin, Ultimate as well as stock. I liked the Corbin, she liked the Ultimate. We both agree on the stock seat LOL, it sucks! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Based on the description "an upholstery person" I'd say it might be a crap shoot in terms of quality of the job unless the craftsman did motorcycle seats as a specialty. Motorcycle Dave, a sponsor, does it for a business.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Redesigning seat back on 2011 RT

Roger
    if possible, it may be best to find someone who has a Utopia backrest already installed on an RT. I have one on my 2013 RT, if i were in Iowa rather than California i would be glad to let you try it out and adjust it. The Utopia backrest is pretty popular and someone close to you probably has one. The Utopia backrest is very easy to adjust and i like it because i can adjust it forward and get the pressure off the built in lower back support of the seat. Might be able to save some money that way, avoiding the seat modification.
    Good luck.
    Dean

Spyder Garage

You can do it yourself,it's not that hard,I did it and I have never upholstered anything in my life. It is a little time consuming,it took me most of a day but I did take my time. Contact MotorcycleDave.com , a sponsor here, and order his memory foam/gel pad seat cushion.He also has a video on his website of how to do it. I was able to turn a 2 hour seat into an all day seat for the cost of the pad. You will also need to watch Finless' video on how to remove the seat.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SEAT ALTERATIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Nelson View Post
    Has anyone tried taking seat to an upholstery person to get the driver part of the seat redone? I would like to get rid of the some of the support they tried to put in for the drivers lower back. If one took an 1" or so out of it and added a Utopia or similar back rest, seems like it would be much more comfortable.
    Thanks. Roger
    .....Remember, it's that foam that gives the covering it's shape.....if you remove some of the foam ----- what are you going to do with the cover material.......just something to consider, whether you do it or someone else tries.......Good luck.....Mike

Spyder Garage

Hi Roger,

Re: Has anyone tried taking seat to an upholstery person to get the driver part of the seat redone?

I did almost exactly this. I bought a used Corbin seat & had MotorcycleDave do a rework. I do not think that I could be happier with the results.

He is a sponsor here; drop him a line and see what he has to say. IMO he is an honorable person.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Give MotorcycleDave a call...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    I have thought about the same thing. Using a local upholsterer. Only custom seat makers I am aware of are on the left coast. We have tried Corbin, Ultimate as well as stock. I liked the Corbin, she liked the Ultimate. We both agree on the stock seat LOL, it sucks! Tom
    Tom, find someone with a Russell day long seat, I think you and the missus might like it.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Tom, find someone with a Russell day long seat, I think you and the missus might like it.
    I think we would. Have never seen one on a Spyder. Just tired of wasting money. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Your Stock Seat....

Hi Roger
    If you give me a call 209-887-3283 I will be happy to give you some pointers
    I modify stock seats to fit folks every day and install Gel and heaters as well
    however if you are in the east the freight is killer for shipping back and forth
    I will be happy to tell you/show you how to do this yourself.
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Nelson View Post
    Thanks. Roger

Spyder Garage

Hi Dave,
    Sorry for no reply sooner! Believe it or not, I have not been on the site in a few years. I did have the seat worked on, the person doing the work, did a good job, but do not think he understood what I wanted done. Instead of making the seat feel like one was setting in it, he added padding and almost made it worse. It is not bad, but still after maybe an hr, if feels like one is always sliding forward, if you know what I mean. Just annoying, almost impossible to enjoy an all day ride or long trip.
    If I keep my RT, I will give you a call someday.
    Thanks for the reply, 4 years ago!!
    Roger