Spyder Garage

Default Old guy with weak hands

My problem is:
    I own a 2010 can am spyder RTS SM5. I do a lot of driving around south florida with plenty of signal lights and stop and go traffic. I'm 68 and getting weaker by the minute is there something I can do about reducing the pressure of my clutch lever so my hand does not very tired after about a hour of this kind of driving. Short of trading in for a SE5. At the moment I bought a hand exerciser to improve my hand muscles but sure if this will help

All the best to my fellow and fellowetts spyder riders

That's cute you spell spyder and spell check want to correct you to spider

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet0947 View Post
    My problem is:
    I own a 2010 can am spyder RTS SM5. I do a lot of driving around south florida with plenty of signal lights and stop and go traffic. I'm 68 and getting weaker by the minute is there something I can do about reducing the pressure of my clutch lever so my hand does not very tired after about a hour of this kind of driving. Short of trading in for a SE5. At the moment I bought a hand exerciser to improve my hand muscles but sure if this will help

Trade it for the SE5 or SE6. Can't understand why in the 21st century someone would want a manual transmission when the auto and semi auto has proven to be faster and easier to operate. Just bought a new 2015 BMW R1200R LC that you can use the clutch to shift or shift without it. Paddle shifting is the way to go and the Spyder SE models already have this. BTW I am soon to be 76 FYI.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Heck, I'm 41 and while shopping for a Spyder for my wife I even found the manual clutch very difficult. I knew she'd have a hard time so we immediately looked for a semi auto. Best decision we ever made, she loves it.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Default Will this help?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet0947 View Post
    My problem is:

Not sure if this will help, but I found it in another post here:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...t-kit-from-BRP
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Weak Clutch lever hand

The main reason I went from my Kawi Vulcan 1500 Classic to my Spyder RT Limited SE5 was because I could no longer squeeze the clutch handle. ( I was 70 when I switched. ) I will be 74 soon, and I still lust for another Vulcan, as I had a 1988 and bought a new 2002 and rode it 10 years. But I also play guitars and banjos, and just can 't chance making my cording fingers any worse by going back to manual clutches. The Paddle Shifters on Spyders are great for us old Geezers that want to keep the wind in our faces.

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post

2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Trade it for the SE5 or SE6. Can't understand why in the 21st century someone would want a manual transmission when the auto and semi auto has proven to be faster and easier to operate. Just bought a new 2015 BMW R1200R LC that you can use the clutch to shift or shift without it. Paddle shifting is the way to go and the Spyder SE models already have this. BTW I am soon to be 76 FYI.

Jack
    He is on the money. I'll soon be turning 72. I bought my first spyder in 2010. Premier Edition RT-S manual. I liked it. Loved going through the shifting, HOWEVER, since then I bought a 2013 RT-S semi automatic and I love it. I don't have to go through the crap of stop lights and creeping traffic driving trying to engage and disengage the clutch all the time. I can even take pictures a lot easier with my SE. Although I enjoyed the manual, I'll never go back.

​Chris

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post

Wow! Amazing how this is the only one who actually gave the OP some interesting advise that he didn't already know (everyone suggested a SE model, and he already stated that he wanted another option). I hope this works out for you. I have a 2014 RT manual, and I am very happy. I think I will always chose a manual for a motorcycle until they actually come up with a fully automatic version. Then I would be very tempted to try something different. I would like the option of either shifting manual or not, but if I have to shift anyway, I chose the full time manual. But that is just my opinion.
    I hope you find what you are looking for.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

The link above applies to F3 models only so would not be of help to the OP. The 2010 RT that the OP has, already has a clutch assist on it. First step would be to find out if it is still working. Many post on having problems with it.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Instead of just using your grip strength, try pulling the lever with the fingers and arm and keep your palm off of the grip. It's a little awkward at first, but it allows you to use the full strength of your arm rather than grip only.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R