Spyder Garage

Default Iphone 6 or Zumo for Gps and tunes

I use my iPhone 6 in a life proof waterproof case with the Lamount ram ball mount right now. Have not got the tunes part done but this is next. Just wondering if some of you prefer to use you iPhone for the Gps and stereo or do you use a Zumo? I've heard somewhere on here that you can use the Zumo for music by using bluetooth and listen to either speakers mounted on the handlebars or in you helmet. I don't like the idea of having music in my helmet as I want to be able to hear things around me while riding. I do plan on getting bluetooth for my helmets so me and the wife can talk when we start riding though. Just thinking the iPhone might work better but don't know. Anyone have suggestions?
    Retired U.S navy Seabee! "CAN DO"
    2015 Spyder F3-s

Very Active Member 2ndChildhood's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you use your iPhone for GPS you're using your data usage minutes you need to keep a close eye on not going over your limit or you'll get one huge bill. With the Zumo it is free to use.

I do have on my iPhone 6 Madmaps that I use when I'm in an area and want to use one of their suggested motorcycle routes.

ToM
    Simplify
    Life is good
    Life is Great
    ToM

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChildhood View Post
    If you use your iPhone for GPS you're using your data usage minutes you need to keep a close eye on not going over your limit or you'll get one huge bill. With the Zumo it is free to use.

I do have on my iPhone 6 Madmaps that I use when I'm in an area and want to use one of their suggested motorcycle routes.

ToM
    Simplify
    Life is good
    That's somewhat true but the maps are downloaded to your phone and can be used without data usage. If you know about where you're going to can zoom in on those areas while you have a wifi connection and then the maps will be loaded. I've never gone over on data and I use gps tracking app while on the road all the time.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Data Usage

This would be a very small amount of data used, and most plans now have unlimited minutes. Remember the Zumo will work where you don't have a cell signal. That being said, music in your helmet will not keep you from hearing what is going on around you. Most of the in-helmet speakers are pretty poor, and even at the highest volume you will hear your surroundings very well. I use the iPhone for music and the GPS for navigation (that is its main purpose after all). I have a pair of Bose ear buds connected to my Scala and this does a couple of things. First the ear buds act as ear plugs reducing the road noise(wind etc) but not things like car horns etc. Also it keeps me from broadcasting my rather questionable music selections to the rest of the world ( which I wouldn't be able to hear anyway). If you accept the reality that NO ONE else wants to hear YOUR music, you will be right 99.9999% of the time!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies. I already have unlimited data on my phone. I also have Nolan n-com helmets.might just get the Bluetooth for just my helmet and see how I like it. Don't really want to wear earbuds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retired U.S navy Seabee! "CAN DO"
    2015 Spyder F3-s

Spyder Garage

Default Iphone

Headed to Banff Canada this summer and not sure if I should use my iPhone for navigation.
    i have a zumo, but prefer to use my cell phone.
    Does anyone have any experience with cell phone navigation in Canada?

Spyder Garage

Default Sena 10c

My Sena 10c has a built in radio FM, if I want to listen to radio music. I listen to music from my MP3 blue tooth connected to my Sena 10c. I could listen to Sat Nav through Sena from my phone though.
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

Default Navigon does not require cell coverage

I use the Navigon app on my iPhone. For a reasonable price I bought the North America maps and downloaded them while on wifi. Now I don't need a cell signal as Navigon can use the built in GPS. I generally like the audio directions it gives so I don't have to look in traffic. My only gripe is that if I'm on a long stretch of road before a turn, it doesn't give me audible updates of distance to turn until it starts getting close. Wish wish it would talk every five minutes or so just to reassure me that it's still doing it's job since I usually leave the phone in my pocket with the screen turned off.

i also have a Zumo that predates my iPhone and I like it for keeping the track of where I've been. But I like Navigon's spoken directions better.
    Scoot

2015 RT-S
    BajaRon swaybar, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Battery Tender power connector, the "Missing Belt Guard", "Don't Eat The Mud" mud flap, JT's dash mount, RAM mounts for electronic stuff.

Spyder Garage

I have bluetooth set with earbuds and run music and maps from my phone. I dont have a mount yet, so keep the phone in my pocket. I keep one earbud in my ear while riding. Advantage for me is getting background music, map directions, text messages converted to speech, and ability to receive/make calls. Not planning on buying a GPS, since I always use my phone/bluetooth like this, but will get a phone mount. Good Luck.

2015 F3S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    If you accept the reality that NO ONE else wants to hear YOUR music, you will be right 99.9999% of the time!
    Amen to that! A whole lotta folks dislike bikers because too many think their right to make noise trumps everyone else's right to peace and quiet. Those who spout the " loud pipes save lives" nonsense discount the safety hazard of cagers who disrespect all bikers because of the noisy few.
    Scoot

2015 RT-S
    BajaRon swaybar, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Battery Tender power connector, the "Missing Belt Guard", "Don't Eat The Mud" mud flap, JT's dash mount, RAM mounts for electronic stuff.

Spyder Garage

Last summer, my iPhone shut down in high temperature weather, which is typical for the iPhone. Then, I installed the Zumo 390. Then, I sold the bike with it and got the F3-S.

Now, I keep the iPhone in my pocket and use Mapquest for voice directions through my SENA SMH-10 headset.

I like Mapquest because I can make my own route. Then, email it to myself. Then, bring it up in the Mapquest app. You can find directions for this at www.wb2lua.com
    I'm still considering the Zumo. But, will give Mapquest a good tryout first. By the way, only the Zumo 390 is compatible with Basecamp for mac.

John