Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, Dwight!
    That's a beauty!

I was FINALLY able to sort out my "difficulties" with VistaPrint's design site...
    I do have cards on order...

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thanks, Dwight!
    That's a beauty!

I was FINALLY able to sort out my "difficulties" with VistaPrint's design site...
    I do have cards on order...

Looks great Bob. My only mistake was not putting my SpyderLovers "handle" on my card.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's where my natural laziness turned out to be smart...
    I only had to put one name on the card!

Sometimes: "Lazy" acts a lot like "Smart".
    It's just working at a slower pace.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 01-04-2016 at 11:34 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

WELL, FROM PAST EXPERIENCE. Take what you need, pack what you can, and have room for, and for all other instances bring a credit card or cash. Trust me I know .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I really like your new card's design...

Spyder Garage

Cell phone and a listing of all the Walmarts along your destination.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    You need a total of 5 days clothing. A couple of pairs of pants. Pack all that up in an Ortlieb dry bag, and secure that with giant loop flat straps. Luggage goes inside at night. Frunk gets gloves(hot, cold, wet cold, glove covers) rain pants, toolkit, sewing kit(army issue), and first aid kit. Do a couple of weekend trips before SF to shake down gear. Get a riding jacket that is waterproof (the cavalier is good, Aerostich Darien, road rafter, or Klim. Why carry 2 jackets?) Figure out what does more things. Pack light. Hooah!

Can you tell name what Spyder you are riding, I am looking for a bag for a 2017 F3T. Thanks big time

Spyder Garage

Default Hmmmm I see...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    RAIN GEAR!!!
    This should be your FIRST consideration. A trip of this length will test your mettle, if you're soaked to the bone.
    TOOLS:
    Bring along some Torx wrenches, a spare quart of oil, some duct tape, a decent air pressure gauge that you trust, some flashlights (You NEVER have enough!)
    CLOTHING:
    There are several approaches to this:
    1.Bring a minimal amount, and wear it until people only approach you from upwind...
    2. Bring old clothes, throw them out and buy replacements!
    3. Mail your dirty laundry home... (Don't tell the USPS what's in the package... let them learn the HARD way!)
    4. Truck everything that you need to Missouri, and don't worry about space considerations
    As for me: I'm a firm believer in tactics 1 and 2...
    Well thank goodness I came across this...My wife lead me to believe the Frunk was for her shoes, hair dryer, cosmetics, and flattening iron...bahhhh ahahahah

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You only need to pack two things for yourself:
    A Toothbrush
    A Platinum MasterCard

Everything else is just in the way...

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by armyspydervet View Post
    I don't have too much space available. I have an ST-S sans saddlebags. My space is limited to the frunk and a bag strapped to the back seat. I just got a decent roll bag that is water resistant from REI. I will begin looking at rain gear options this week. I think I'm also going to buy a Sena so I can listen to music and have access to phone calls as well as communicate with others in the convoy that have one. I like to talk if you haven't noticed

I also pack my emergency cigar and bourbon kit for post ryding enjoyment. Never leave home without that. I figure if I'm missing something else, I can always use cigar and bourbon to barter for what I need.
    The Sena is great for traveling long distances for tunes, calls or even texts.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Cell phone and a listing of all the Walmarts along your destination.

Chris
    Or a smartphone with google.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I used to over pack my GS/RS. I started to realize the last couple of years before I got my F3 that I didn't use a lot of the stuff I packed so I started to weed through and reduce as I knew I would have less room on the F3-S when I got it. I just didn't need the assortment of tools, spare parts, etc that I carried for miles and miles and never touched.

So I would add my thoughts to this thread with what I have learned.

1. I have an F3 now so I don't need to carry oil with me. Waste of space
    2. Second everyone on the first aid kit.
    3. While many of us have smart phones, I still also use a dedicated Garmin GPS. Maybe it's just me, but a dedicated device out in the boonies is sometimes more useful. I still use my phone on RAM mount as well, but that is for music, phone, and using Siri for finding closest gas, food and lodging... Then I let the phone navigate. If you don't want a dedicated GPS then buy a dedicated GPS app for your phone so you'll have guaranteed offline map data.
    4. I mentioned RAM mounts right? Make sure you get a good phone/GPS holder and it is also wise to get a weatherproof case. You can get a dedicated case for your phone or a weather proof RAM mountable one like this one that is pretty quick to swap out when you need to. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    5. I keep a dedicated kit for Cell phone, GPS, Tablet charging in the spyder at all times. If you have to transfer them from vehicle to vehicle you might forget to pack them. So I pack something like the following:

6. Some people carry Battery packs for emergency charging like these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 or they carry a mini jump box like these which can charge devices and jump your bike. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    7. I carry some microfiber clothes with me. I probably carry a minimum of four and I can wash them out in the hotel sinks and dry them between uses. I use them to clean the windshield and lights as well the body of the Spyder.
    8. Pair those microfiber clothes with some plastic cleaner or detailer of your choice like PLexus: https://www.amazon.com/Plexus-Plasti...lastic+cleaner

9. A head strapped flashlight. I used to think they were stupid, but I now find them the most useful thing ever. I also carry a AA sized Mini MAg LED flashlight.
    10. Extra batteries if you think you might need them for something that is a battery hog but I tend to buy rechargeable stuff and the LED flashlights will never use up the batteries in a single trip if you even need them... Just swap out the batteries now and then to make sure they are good and not leaking... This is another item that is dedicated and always at the ready in the SPyder.
    11. Extra gloves... Many have mentioned rain gear. I carry one pair of insulated gloves if the temps are going to be lower... and sometimes I've froze my butt off in the mountains in the morning and by time I made it over the mountains I was hot again. If you want reasonably priced insulated gloves that are also fairly weather proof then buy some skiing gloves. You'll find a wider assortment and they won't be outrageously priced. I also carry a regular set of gloves in case my others get soaked.
    12. I always pack a couple pair of surgical gloves just in case I have to get my hands dirty and don't want to transfer that gunk to my clothes, bike or good gloves.
    13. Pack a decent Leatherman. I also always have a folding lock back knife on my person. Knives are so handy to have. My leatherman is what allowed me to fix my helmet last year in the rain on the side of the road quickly and get on my way. Takes up very little space and you can wear it on your belt.
    14. A hat. If you wear hats. I usually have a baseball cap on the spyder.
    15. Sun screen. Absolutely need it. Multi-day trips will burn your face through your face shield and if you ride in just a t-shirt you will want to protect your arms.
    16. I ride with a three season jacket made by Olympia... Lots of manufacturers out there, but it gives me a protective outer jacket with a zip in wind/rain for a secondary liner and a third zip in thermal liner. Best money I ever spent on a riding jacket. I ride with it on 99% of the time and the liners don't take up much space.
    17. Tools. Not many. I carry an air gauge though I rarely have needed to use it on even a two week trip. Just good to have. I carry some torx wrenches and one multibit screw driver and zip ties. Throw in some of the common fuses and uncommon fuses (not much space at all) just in case of electrical issues.
    18. Duplicate copies of insurance and registration. Just me being OCD.
    19. WATER. For drinking and some snacks. These are pretty important.
    20. Road side assistance plan. These are expensive but seeing as I also have an RV covered with AAA that also covers my Spyder.

One thing I use the heck out of in packing all this is some old laptop carry case half mesh bags from Targus. They hold all the small and medium sized items and I can see through the mesh to see exactly the items I need. You can find a variety of similar bags on Amazon. Like these - though I stick to the smaller ones only. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...sh+packing+bag and https://www.amazon.com/ZipClikGo-Att...bag+organizers

My F3-S has a lot less storage than my old GS/RS. I added the V35 GIVI side cases to it and I use the nelson riggs tail bag I had on the GS. I lost half the Frunk space and the 46 liters of Givi hard tail bag on the GS.

Ironically, I'm not missing the space. If anything I still have a surplus of room for buying tshirts along the way like we all do and packing things in different places. My frunk holds my charging cables, air guage, flashlights, gloves, hat, polish, jump box, Ram MOunt stuff, water and snacks with room to spare. My Side cases are for my clothes typically. My soft tail bag holds my microfiber cloths, All my rain gear - Top and bottom Toggs and boot covers, first aid kit... all with room to spare.

I do not carry a tire plug kit. I could and have before but I don't. THat would also imply that if I carried a tire plug kit I would also need to carry a small compressor. Think about that space. In 8 years of riding spyders I've only gotten one screw in one of my rear tires. Most riding is done during the day and that day we pulled into a tire shop. They couldn't pull the rear tire as they weren't equipped to handle that, but they pulled the screw (which did indeed leak after) and plugged it from outside in. Usually they want access to the inside of the tire as well to do it proper. They didn't charge me as they didn't want the record of liability and sent me on my way. That tire held for about 1200 miles and when I got home I swapped it out to be safe. Remember I mentioned a roadside assistance plan? I know some people are screw magnets... I'm not. Lucky me.

That's the list.

The other things I do before a trip are any maintenance checks and perform any maintenance that might come due during the trip. THis means I might change my oil 1000 miles or more early just so I don't have to deal with the time and a dealer when on the road. Same for tires if they are marginal. Check the oil level, top off the tires, check coolant... Fix things that are loose, making undo noise, etc. I used to practically tear my GS down before every big trip because she was a finicky machine. This F3 is simply a dream and I go through less headache before long trips now.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

A half-a-dozen bread bags. They have many uses, such as keeping that can of oil you just opened from leaking all over everything else in your saddlebag (double bag for confidence; DAMHIKT). Emergency boot liners when you find out the hard way that your boots are no longer waterproof. Keeping your stinky, used underwear separate from your other clothes until you can get to a laundromat. Storing all the little souvenirs and other tchotchkes that you collect along the way.

You could substitute zip-lock baggies, but bread bags are free with your sammich makings*. And they take up very little room.

(* I'm dating myself here. Bread bags were the solution back before zip-lock baggies became widely available in the latter '60s/early '70s.)

Spyder Garage

Default Bag

Quote Originally Posted by archibald609 View Post
    Can you tell name what Spyder you are riding, I am looking for a bag for a 2017 F3T. Thanks big time
    We have an RT, but I never get to ride it - Ann's bike.
    A 40 liter Ortlieb dry bag will get it done.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Default First Aid Kit

Noticed first aid kits were mentioned a couple of times in this and that intrigued me.

Firstly my understanding is that in the US if you apply first aid to someone then they or their family could possibly sue you? Is that true or one of those urban legends and the US?

Secondly what do you actually carry in your first aid kits? Is this just general medical supplies or is this for applying first aid at accidents?

I while back I did a first aid refresher that was specifically aimed at motorcycle riders. Obviously it focused on road accidents that you may come across and after attending it I stopped carrying a first aid kit and now just have a couple of pairs of gloves, a trauma wound dressing and some kitchen scissors.

Spyder Garage

Here in Aust, we have what's known as 'The Good Samaritan' Act, & if you try to help & render aid in good faith, you are protected from litigation if something goes wrong! The other end of that 'protection' is that if you DO have first aid or medical training & you are present or arrive at the scene of an accident or emergency, then you (arguably maybe) have a duty to render reasonable assistance, albeit without acting negligently or endangering your life in doing so.......
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-07-2017 at 05:52 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We also have Good Samaritan laws here, but it's a state-by-state thing. I don't know how common they are. But if I could give aid I'd do it and not worry about the legal ramifications.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If someone needs help: you do what you can, and leave the Lawyers home...

Spyder Garage

learn to clown pack for clothing (see video below)
    First aid kit, rain gear, oil, sun block, fix a flat, minor tools, phone charger, duct tape, zip ties, knife, plastic bags, sun glasses, WATER, a few granola bars

http://maphappy.org/2014/02/tom-ayzenberg-shows-us-clown-style-packing/
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Noticed first aid kits were mentioned a couple of times in this and that intrigued me.

Firstly my understanding is that in the US if you apply first aid to someone then they or their family could possibly sue you? Is that true or one of those urban legends and the US?

Secondly what do you actually carry in your first aid kits? Is this just general medical supplies or is this for applying first aid at accidents?

I while back I did a first aid refresher that was specifically aimed at motorcycle riders. Obviously it focused on road accidents that you may come across and after attending it I stopped carrying a first aid kit and now just have a couple of pairs of gloves, a trauma wound dressing and some kitchen scissors.
    So first off people will try to sue you for anything they can. What happens in court is something else. If you don't know what you are doing then the help you can render is minimal. I am an EMT so first i am suppose to stop and render medical assistance. But I carry a kit more for me and my wife, We come first then others. Obviously my bike first aid kit is not as extensive as my jeep one. On the bike I carry, medical gloves, bandages, 4x4 & 5x9 dressing, multi trauma pad, stretch gauze, medical tape,cravats & safety pins, SAMS splint, burn jell, ice pack, pen light, shears, alcohol wipes, baby aspirin 81 mg un-coated, bacitracin, tweezers, knife. All in a 10"x6"x6" Molle pouch.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

For all you experienced Spyder Pilots out there, what are some essential items to purchase for long distance trips (i.e. Bags, gear, upgrades, maybe some key farkles, etc.).

Please be specific and provide links and/or pictures. As we newbies prepare for Spyderfest - there are undoubtedly some things I will need to invest in over the next four months.

Thank you all in advance for your input.

This is a quote I thought made sense: "When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and money.
    Then take half the clothes and twice the money."
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by archibald609 View Post
    I use this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dowco-50156-...pX9GZq&vxp=mtr

It sits on the rear seat and straps to the passenger handrails. If you have a backrest, there's also a strap to secure to it. It's a perfect fit and holds quite a bit. You can also take it off and take it into your hotel room.

I now see that bag is no longer available on eBay through the above mentioned link. Copy and paste the model number in eBay and you'll find one.
    Dowco - 50156-00
    Last edited by Copperman; 04-20-2017 at 06:13 AM.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the frog togg tip. That is my next purchase.
    If you purchase Frogg Toggs from their web site, you can mix and match sets. That is, you can buy the top from one set, and the bottoms from a different set, to get what you want. All tops and bottoms do not have the same features.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    You might try these to keep your gloves dry

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-triple-digit-covers.html

I have those, and they are quite old, you just can't beat them. Great for rain, and good for breaking the wind in the winter time.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?