Spyder Garage

Default Where to install aux fuse block for 2015 RT-S

Well. it's project time, and one of the first on my list is to install an aux fuse block.

Where is the best place to mount it? I'd like it to be somewhere that won't be in the way for servicing, especially when the frunk needs to be removed. but not tooo difficult to get to in case a fuse needs replaced.

I've got a bunch of stuff that needs extra power (GPS, horn, heated gear, etc...)

Any suggestions? This is for a 2015 RT-S.

Thanks! -Fratz

Spyder Garage

Mine is under the seat. Very easy to get to. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Default AUX Power Locations

Quote Originally Posted by fratzba View Post
    Well. it's project time, and one of the first on my list is to install an aux fuse block.

Where is the best place to mount it? I'd like it to be somewhere that won't be in the way for servicing, especially when the frunk needs to be removed. but not tooo difficult to get to in case a fuse needs replaced.

I've got a bunch of stuff that needs extra power (GPS, horn, heated gear, etc...)

Thanks! -Fratz
    I have a different model F3's, I have lots of experience with various model motorcycle's--but locating the aux power leads as been a major new inconvenient experience for me. they double tape wrap most of them---I'm guessing Spyder's are jet ski's or snow mobiles with wheels. extra tape shielding to protect from the weather elements.--None visible without removing layers of electrical tape plus they are tie-rapped to upper housing--There are several manuals available on-line but none are easy to read. BRP does an excellent jobs with photos's showing the easiest access locations--not so much with the difficult locations. Good luck. Also I have never heard of so many complaints & time delays from any other bike mnfg. If it was a Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc--you'd forget the dealers location from lack of need for assistance...
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On my Spyder RT 2010 SE5 model I fitted the extra fuse block under the left hand side service cover located under the front trunk hood see

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...988#post366988

The fuseblock was an FZ1 fuseblock

I have used the same location for a fuseblock on my Spyder RT SE6 2015 model but used a PDM60 fuseblock
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    On my Spyder RT 2010 SE5 model I fitted the extra fuse block under the left hand side service cover located under the front trunk hood see

I have used the same location for a fuseblock on my Spyder RT SE6 2015 model but used a PDM60 fuseblock
    Thanks for the suggestion and link!

I had looked at this location as well, but am concerned that you would have to remove it in order to take the frunk off. Have you had any issues with this?

Thanks! -Fratz

Spyder Garage

Just a bump in case others have brilliant ideas to share (please!)

-Fratz

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post

Where did you find space in there with the battery jumper posts in there?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Where did you find space in there with the battery jumper posts in there?

If you remove the service cover located under the funk lid, under the LHS (as sitting on the Spyder) you will see a bar with some studs underneath the Headlamp – I made a shelf for my PDM60 Fuse box to sit on
    It was bolted on to the shelf and the shelf was then bolted using the studs to hold
    it in place

The PDM60 is very smal and there is plently of room for it

I accessed the + and - terminals from the battery from the back so the leads can
    just be disconnected should the funk need to be removed
    The leads are zip tied to the frame above the a frame suspension A Arms and have been protected in hard plastic tubing to give protection
    The switched live was taken from a connection located near that bar with the
    studs as there appeard to be a blank off connector behind the funk and I checked
    one of the wires and it was only live with the key on

The location of the PDM60 Fuse box allows easy accces to the console for the extra
    equipment you need to get power to

You just have to programme the PDM60 before you fit it – The PDM60 comes with
    full instructions

See http://pdm60.com/

Just allow some extra length of leads should you need to remove the PDM60

The advantage is you don't need to remove it to replace fuses or a relay
    The location means you can see the LED's showing the state of the circuits when
    the PDM60 is on

I fitted mine in June 2015 and have not needed to touch it

I have added some waterproof materinal over the top of it below the service cover
    just to keep any water away from it but it is sealed

Here is a couple of Photos to show the PDM60 in Place

Attached Images Attached Images
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Spyder Garage

Default Install PDM60

Hello brothers and sisters. I see photos of installation but not clear of the location of wiring to perform on my Spyder RS. Would I have to remove the hood to place the negative cable as I wish to add a negative busbar for negative leads.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cgthomqs View Post
    Hello brothers and sisters. I see photos of installation but not clear of the location of wiring to perform on my Spyder RS. Would I have to remove the hood to place the negative cable as I wish to add a negative busbar for negative leads.
    You'll be better off to ask this question in the RS subforum. This thread is in the RT Touring subforum so the members who need to see this question may not. I'm sure there is a big difference between the RS and RT as to installing the fuse block.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Default Install PDM60 to Spyder RS

You'll be better off to ask this question in the RS subforum. This thread is in the RT Touring subforum so the members who need to see this question may not. I'm sure there is a big difference between the RS and RT as to installing the fuse block.
    Thank you I will check out the RS info.

Spyder Garage

Referencing the attached picture...

Eddie: Are the 2 circled bolts where you attached a shelf? Did you just take a piece of sheet metal, bend it, drill out some holes then attach onto the bolts coming through with some nuts? Also I notice in some of your pics you had wires routing down where the arrow is. Doesn't that area come off with the frunk? Seems you would have to disconnect those to remove frunk?

Fratz: What did you ever wind up doing?

Has anyone ever identified what if anything is made to go on the brackets with the ?

20170430_105257.jpg
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSteveFL View Post

Eddie: Are the 2 circled bolts where you attached a shelf? Did you just take a piece of sheet metal, bend it, drill out some holes then attach onto the bolts coming through with some nuts? Also I notice in some of your pics you had wires routing down where the arrow is. Doesn't that area come off with the frunk? Seems you would have to disconnect those to remove frunk?

Has anyone ever identified what if anything is made to go on the brackets with the ?

20170430_105257.jpg
    Is that a picture of your 2015 RT below the left headlight?

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Yes, right under the black trim panel.
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

20170430_105257.jpg
    Sorry for the delay I am away
    I ran a + & - lead up from the battery terminals using ring connectors
    so you just need to take the leads off if removing the frunk
    The only other connector is to tap into a power which is live when ignition is on

I did use the bracket, bent a plate for the PDM60 to sit on and used 2 bolts & nuts to secure it to that bracket
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Spyder Garage

Fatz, check out: tricledusa.com to see their fuse box. Sure looks like it will do what you want.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jake6470 View Post
    Fatz, check out: tricledusa.com to see their fuse box. Sure looks like it will do what you want.
    (This is an old thread Jake...)

I already had the fuse block picked out, I'm using a pdm60. It's programable, and does exactly what I need.
    This thread was just about where to install it, which I did in the left service compartment in the frunk about a year and a half ago :-)

-Fratz

Spyder Garage

Yes, right under the black trim panel.
    I take it you are looking to install a fuse box in that area, or have you already? I just put my fuse box in there loose. That way I can pull it out to plug and unplug both wires and fuses as I need. Makes it a lot easier than trying to manipulate things inside a cramped location. At least I think so.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Yes, I just installed a Neutrino Black Box in there. I did make a shelf for it and zip tied it so it wouldn't move around much. I'll probably document it and the many other things I did at some point in the diy/mods section but here's a quick pic.
    20170506_220230.jpg
    Last edited by SpyderSteveFL; 05-07-2017 at 09:58 AM.

OLD/TRADED

Spyder Garage

Mine is under the trailing lip of the trunk lid on the left side. Easy access to wires etc.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Since battery is in the front, I put mine on the left hand side fuse cover in the frunk. You can route the power lead to the auxiliary block (I installed a PDM60) through the rubber grommet on the same side that is there for an auxiliary power outlet. Any auxiliary power needs can come through that same rubber grommet. By putting the Fuze block on the outside of the plastic cover it is in a safe and dry environment.

Quote Originally Posted by fratzba View Post

Thanks! -Fratz
    Last edited by gazunni; 05-08-2017 at 09:07 PM.