Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What do you think?Buy it?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mcy/5366657591.html

Was informed of the differences between the V-twin vs the 1330 on the maintenance side,But I plan on doing my own maintenance,I think this is a really good buy for such low miles,What do you think?
    Would you still hold off for a 1330 ace?

Spyder Garage

Looks like a fair deal to me. With low mileage like that, make sure it had the initial service done. Nine grand is a long way from 25 grand.....leaves you lots to play with.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For that kind of money:
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

get a 1330 IMO..Less Maintenance.and more fun

Spyder Garage

Default RS MODEL

The new RS models are v twin. It may be a long while before a 1330 is offered. The 201w is a very good bike, also very fast.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

That is the Spyder I thought I was going to buy, and actually the one I thought I wanted, (not that exact one, but similar), but when we got to the dealership they had the 2015 RT Limited on sale and because my wife really liked it, we bought it. Looking back on things, this couldn't have worked out any better. I don't know if the 1330 motor has more performance, but I have to say the 1330 in th RT Limited is a much better all around machine for two people. If you can afford it, go for one with the 1330 motor.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    make sure it had the initial service done.
    What does that consist of?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I agree with David. While the price looks good you're going to have more maintenance, even if you DIY. I don't know anything about the juice box system but I don't prefer louder exhaust than the stock system. The 1330 is a sweet motor and you don't have to wind the out of it to keep the clutch locked up. You'll love the six-speed trans too. You'll get better fuel mileage and won't use oil like the V-Twin. My old bones prefer the riding position of the RT.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sulaco View Post

Was informed of the differences between the V-twin vs the 1330 on the maintenance side,But I plan on doing my own maintenance,I think this is a really good buy for such low miles,What do you think?
    Yes I definitely would. Totally different and very updated version. Don't be fooled by the price. Hold out for the 2014 or later.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I have owned can am's with both motors. The 1330 is my best yet. There is no comparison. If you plan on some serious riding I would definately go with the 1330 and the 6 speed trans.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Looks like a great deal and it's a good intro to the spyder world. Oil changes are not hard on a spyder. Most people with the 1330 do not go 9,300 miles between oil changes anyway so 4,600 isn't bad. Save up more money or ride now? Let's ride!
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 12-30-2015 at 10:37 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I suppose the real question is do you want a touring spyder or a sport version? consider what fits in your budget. Make that decision then go shopping. For me the RT is the best fit for the riding i and my wife enjoy. If I were younger I'd be on an RS or perhaps an F3 cruiser style. (the F3 has the 1330).
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Looks like a good deal. But I would have an independent mechanic take a look at it first.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I would never never ever ever purchase a 998cc twin. I'm loving my 2014 RT after being deeply screwed and hating the 2010 RT I bought first that sits in a junkyard with a blown engine through no fault of my own.

I so wish I had come here and asked and given this simple advice

never never ever unless a 1338

Spyder Garage

You don't say much about what you are going to do with the Spyder. Are you and a significant other going to ride together? Do you want to do just day trips around the area?Are you thinking about some (or a lot) of travel and covering some distance? Just commuting? The usage will make a big difference in which Spyder will work best for you. And not to pry but how are your finances? If you don't need or want the full fledged tourer or the Hot Rod F3 everything else has the VTwin motor anyway so get the best price you can. Even used the 1330 bikes are $18,000 to $22,000.
    So tell us a little more about you what you have been riding, and what you want to do. The you're looking at looks really nice and is a good price but anything else, we don't know enough to advise.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Choices choices. ..

Great deal no doubt. I love the v-twin so you know my answer... but my standard reply is test ryde them both and then decide. There are two sides and both pull their way. Happy hunting...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MY VOTE

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I agree with David. While the price looks good you're going to have more maintenance, even if you DIY. I don't know anything about the juice box system but I don't prefer louder exhaust than the stock system. The 1330 is a sweet motor and you don't have to wind the out of it to keep the clutch locked up. You'll love the six-speed trans too. You'll get better fuel mileage and won't use oil like the V-Twin. My old bones prefer the riding position of the RT.
    ...with Jay, and David...and something to consider is ....unless you plan to keep this Spyder forever ....you will be selling it........How much will you get in 2 or 3 years......Also I think BRP is going to stop PUTTING the V-twin in the Spyders, that's going to lower re-sale by a hugh amount..............And someone compared $9,000 vs. $ 25,000 ---- even if you are going for the RT with a 1330 engine , I can buy a 2015 for about $21,000 today.....If you want Sporty.....I could get you a 2015 F-3 for $ 17,500 with a Semi-auto trans.............Look here IMotorsports ....they have an AD on the Home page .....................Mike

Spyder Garage

A bit of a dilemma for sure. A very good price if the ad is legit. Do check the service record. Any dealer can input the VIN and come up with the information that will help you decide.

Remember--RS vs. RT is like crotch rocket compared to luxury touring. Depending on your taste, you may or may not like the ride.

Big difference between the 998 v twin and the 1330 triple (available only in 2014 RT and 2015/16 RT and F3.

Suggest test riding one of each 998/1330 to see if the difference is enough to make you think twice.

Let us know what you do. Happy shopping.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Great point Mike, thanks for jumping in here. I probably shouldn't say this, it's kind of embarrassing, at least to me. But, the end of October I got my RT Limited with all the bells and whistles, for $23,000.00 because the 2016's were coming out soon and the dealership had all of the 2014's left highly discounted. So there are deals out there.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Again, David makes an excellent point. If you are not in a rush and can wait or can now find 2015 RTs or F3s you can save some big bucks. That's how I did mine and I rolled some of the savings into my Tri-Axis bars and Comfort Seat.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    You don't say much about what you are going to do with the Spyder. Are you and a significant other going to ride together? Do you want to do just day trips around the area?Are you thinking about some (or a lot) of travel and covering some distance? Just commuting? The usage will make a big difference in which Spyder will work best for you. And not to pry but how are your finances? If you don't need or want the full fledged tourer or the Hot Rod F3 everything else has the VTwin motor anyway so get the best price you can. Even used the 1330 bikes are $18,000 to $22,000.
    So tell us a little more about you what you have been riding, and what you want to do. The you're looking at looks really nice and is a good price but anything else, we don't know enough to advise.
    Mainly very local,we have a lot of beautiful areas to ride,They are short distance,I wont be putting a lot of miles on it,No commuting,I don't like riding in the dark.
    I know my wife will not ride long distances.I would mainly ride on the weekends time permitting..
    I'm very anal when it comes to oil/servicing schedules.

P.S. Thank you everyone for all your input and opinions!,It really helps me decide.
    Last edited by sulaco; 12-30-2015 at 12:48 PM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you have determined that this bike is the style and configuration you will want to ride then go for it. NADA low retail price is about $9700, high retail $12800 so price looks good. Unless you're going to be doing a lot of high speed freeway riding the 998 will serve you well, if you're comfortable with the maintenance level it needs.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

See if you can get the maint history on the bike if you go this route..May save you some headaches later??

Spyder Garage

A lot of good advise given however what I would ask is do you fit on the RS. The seating position is not for everybody and looking at the picture it looks to be bone stock as far as the seat and handle bars go. If you don't fit it can get expensive getting the handle bars just right also the stock seat sucks. Another issue that comes into play on the older RS models is the shocks. The stock shocks on (I believe) 2012 and older spyders really suck. I couldn't tell from the picture but would think if it had upgraded shocks they would have said something.

Yes it is low mileage and not a bad price but before I bought it I would find a dealer and see how the ergonomic's fit you in addition to the other advise you were given..........Sometimes the cheap turns out expensive.