Thread: Not starting!

Spyder Garage

Default Not starting!

So yesterday I took my 2012 Spyder RT Limited to get gas. I had ran it the day before without issue. Got to gas station all was good. When I went to leave I turned the key the computer started thru it's normal I pressed mode and the screen went dead and I could not do anything.
    I tried jumping it thinking the battery was shot, when I hook cables to it the computer will start and run thru startup and when I press start it turns over once stops and shuts off. I noticed that when I turn the key to on I have accessories that I installed.

Chezeburger

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Chezeburger
    2010 - Orbital Blue RT-S
    2003 - Yamaha V-Star 1100
    2012 - White RT-S Limited added 4/30/13

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If I were you; I'd start checking all of the connections to the Battery...

...And then I'd replace the Battery! (I assume that it's the original...)
    Good luck; let us know what you find!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Jump start

Most bikes have the lead attached to the battery for charging from a battery charger.Can a person make a 2 wire lead with + and - connectors and connect up with another battery with engine running?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chezeburger View Post
    So yesterday I took my 2012 Spyder RT Limited to get gas. I had ran it the day before without issue. Got to gas station all was good. When I went to leave I turned the key the computer started thru it's normal I pressed mode and the screen went dead and I could not do anything.
    I tried jumping it thinking the battery was shot, when I hook cables to it the computer will start and run thru startup and when I press start it turns over once stops and shuts off. I noticed that when I turn the key to on I have accessories that I installed.
    Your battery is shot, unless the battery cable connections are corroded. To jump it you must have a good clean connection from the jumper battery. Also, if the voltage is not at least 10.4 the Spyder computer will not compute, and if it doesn't compute it won't start.

Spyders will not start with a weak battery that will start another bike like a Goldwing or an ATV.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPIDR1 View Post
    Most bikes have the lead attached to the battery for charging from a battery charger.Can a person make a 2 wire lead with + and - connectors and connect up with another battery with engine running?

No! The amps arcing across those thin wires would fry them. Use real jumper cables hooked to a car.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPIDR1 View Post
    If your bike is like the 2013 RT there are jump connections under the black panel just above the upper right side of the frunk as you are looking at it.
    Attached Images Attached Images