Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Setting the rear tire pressure on the RT's

I forgot where the post was about what a PITA it is to get at the fill valve on the RT's so this is a new post about the same problem. (If the moderators wish to combine this with other posts about this issue have at it)

As you know getting at the tire fill valve can be a PITA on the RT's, not sure about other models. Anyway this is what I use. I picked up a filler at O'Rielly's auto parts for about $7.00 and a couple air fittings and a pressure gauge that I had from my racing days and I have this. I did have to put a bend in the filler. The tire filler will now reach in from the back side of the wheel or from behind the belt pulley. I air up the tire with my shop air then connect the gauge that has a bleeder valve on it to the filler to adjust the pressure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Curiously; I've never had much trouble getting to the rear valve stem...
    It has JUST enough flexibility to allow you to get the gauge and the air chuck on it...
    What's tough: Finding it on that damned rim in a poorly-lit garage!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob

For what ever it's worth getting at it on my 2014RT was a PITA. I don't understand why they didn't put it on the brake side of the rim. Oh Well it is what it is.

Pragmatic Member
    Spyder Garage

If you move the Spyder so the valve on the rear tire is in the 5:00 position, it's easy to get to.

Pam

Spyder Garage

Default AIRING THE REAR TIRE

I just checked the air In my tires today, I have never had a problem getting to the rear valve stem on my,A group of us are going on a dinner ride tomorrow, supposed to be near 70* In the Buckeye state..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe I have an odd ball, anyway on my machine the tire fill is right behind the pulley for the belt and it's at an angle that makes it difficult to get at with common tire gauges or fillers. Your results may differ. My issue is now solved and I only posted to help others that may have the same problem. Just trying to be helpful.

Spyder Garage

The last two rear tires that were installed--they did not position the filler valve so it was in the open. A genuine PITA.

Will make sure I have a discussion on the next rear tire.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Looks like a neat setup.Might have to build one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The last two rear tires that were installed--they did not position the filler valve so it was in the open. A genuine PITA.

Will make sure I have a discussion on the next rear tire.
    Yes, you definitely need to be sure that they have the pulley positioned properly or you'll be wishing for your rear tire to wear out faster than a Kenda.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

so for $ 10 you can go to your local Harley and buy a 6 to 8 inch extention so you can get the end out where you can fill it easier and check pressure easier. Works like a charm.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    so for $ 10 you can go to your local Harley and buy a 6 to 8 inch extention so you can get the end out where you can fill it easier and check pressure easier. Works like a charm.
    Or if you ever owned a Harley Touring class, use the gauge on the rear shock air hand pump. Very flexible end and a screw down connection with very little leakage.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
    Maybe I have an odd ball, anyway on my machine the tire fill is right behind the pulley for the belt and it's at an angle that makes it difficult to get at with common tire gauges or fillers. Your results may differ. My issue is now solved and I only posted to help others that may have the same problem. Just trying to be helpful.
    You probably don't have any odd ball; they are a PITA to deal with. Your solution is fantastic and another way to deal with the foibles of our toys
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    If you move the Spyder so the valve on the rear tire is in the 5:00 position, it's easy to get to.

Pam
    Your 15 has a new wheel that makes it a bit easier than the earlier wheels.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Yes, I have a 2015 RT Limited and have no problem with servicing the rear tire, but do have a nice assortment of fittings and gauges after having a Harley Ultra Classic. When I bought it, it had a beautiful set of chrome spoked wheels, that required me, to put air in them, to remove the left saddlebag, lay on the ground and wrap my arm around the wheel to hold the fitting on the valve stem, and add air with my right hand. The solution was to by another set of wheels. I love my Spyder.

David
    Last edited by Devious56; 12-13-2015 at 10:03 AM.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess it's a case of:
    "One person's 'pain in the ass; is another person's challenge'...".

I have no mechanical aptitude whatsoever, so it DOES surprise me that I'm able to manage this task!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

yudydude

Default Valve stem

Try the EZ Air Tire Gauge from Amazon, I just bought one for $20.00 and it works great. Put it on the tire easily and check the pressure and put air in with the same unit. Check it out!!

Pragmatic Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Your 15 has a new wheel that makes it a bit easier than the earlier wheels.
    Ah..... I was not aware of that. Thanks for the heads-up

Pam

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
    I forgot where the post was about what a PITA it is to get at the fill valve on the RT's so this is a new post about the same problem. (If the moderators wish to combine this with other posts about this issue have at it)

As you know getting at the tire fill valve can be a PITA on the RT's, not sure about other models. Anyway this is what I use. I picked up a filler at O'Rielly's auto parts for about $7.00 and a couple air fittings and a pressure gauge that I had from my racing days and I have this. I did have to put a bend in the filler. The tire filler will now reach in from the back side of the wheel or from behind the belt pulley. I air up the tire with my shop air then connect the gauge that has a bleeder valve on it to the filler to adjust the pressure.

TPMS saves a lot of bending .

Pragmatic Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Omcge View Post
    TPMS saves a lot of bending .
    Adding the FOBO TPMS system was quite a relief on my knees and back. Now I just have to get down there when the FOBO tells me I need to air up

Pam

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Yes, you definitely need to be sure that they have the pulley positioned properly or you'll be wishing for your rear tire to wear out faster than a Kenda.
    And you folks know my tires well, since you had to contend with them during the alignment.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    That is what I did - eazypeazy.
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Rear tire air pressure

I have a difficult time with my 14 RT as well however I picked up an extension hose several years ago for my BMW. The air valves on that bike were wedged in a very small opening and it was darn near impossible to get a reading. I had to order a few parts for the bike and came across the extension, and it works very well on the RT. It was and still is only 4.99 so I didn't think that was very bad especially since I had other items on the order to spread the shipping cost over.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post

Pam

That's too late in the day to be messing with tire pressure.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Pragmatic Member
    Spyder Garage

But it's happy hour

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk