Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default does anyone have sleep apnea

i have become way too overweight. i quit smoking and gained over 10 pounds since then and just can't live with the weight i am carrying. 350 plus ponds right now. i am planning on having weight loss surgery and have been going through test b4 i have the surgery. the amount of test they require is ridiculous. first i had to see my primary doctor once a month for six months to make sure i really need to lose the weight, 4 visits done already. then i had a endoscope and colonoscopy, they found i have Barrett' s esophagus, then i have to see a shrink, a nutritionist, a heart doctor and a stress test. the stress test was done Thursday and that was fine. then i needed to have a SLEEP APNEA test. and they say i have it.

so my question is, if you have sleep apnea what mask do you use, and do you find that the machine helps you. my machine is being delivered to me on Monday, and they are bringing a few masks to see what one fit my big head. i never felt i had a problem, but my dogs wake me up at night sometimes, so i figured i am either talking in my sleep or something is going on. just looking for some information on the use of the machines. thanks
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

I have it and have slept with a machine for about four years. I used to wake up every hour or so and go to the bathroom but now I sleep through the night. I know that it is much better for me but I have never felt the additional energy boost that I should feel from it. That said I do love getting a good nights sleep.

I use use the nasal pillow. It has two small things that seal up at the bottom your nose. It is the only type I have ever used but I think it is the most popular.

Though I am overweight I am not sure mine is due to weight. My brother has it and he is very fit. That said I hate to hear that you are considering surgery. I'm sure if you focus in on it you can lose the weight. I'll make you a Spyderfest challenge if you are interested. See who can lose the most weight before the event. I have been losing a pound or two a month but am ready to turn up the heat. If you are interested PM me.

Spyder Garage

I have it. I would suggest a sleep study. When I did my study they monitor your sleep through the night and depending on how bad you have it would depend on what mask is required. It isnt a choice of selecting which one you like better. My test they start you off with the nostrile tube, then move up to the small mask that just covers the nose, if that isnt giving you enough air then they move you up to the full mask. They also would have you change sleeping pisitions to see if they would also improve your breathing through the night.
    As for me I dont think it makes me feel any more rested, but it has stopped the snoring. And the tests results say it is working but who knows?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

i did the test but i did it at home. they gave me a machine to take home and it monitored me sleeping. i have not slept in a bed in over 10 years. i sleep on a recliner due to a neck injury and use a neck pillow. i wouldn't go to the sleep center because they insisted i sleep in a bed and the pain i get laying down just kills me. so they are going by the readings on the machine i took home to set me up.

as far as loosing weight. i have tried many times to do it but can't. i can't walk due to diabetic neuropathy in my feet and get really bad pain in them. so the surgery i want and the doctor recommended was call the sleeve. with this they remove most of my stomach and leave about a 4 oz. sack so my eating is greatly reduced. they don't want to do the bypass because back in 1998 i had my prostate removed and the way they did it back then, they figure there might be too much scar tissue in the area to fight through.

yes i am a mess, and like i tell all the people i know, I'M DEAD, JUST TOO STUPID TO LAY DOWN.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

CuzJohn
    I also have sleep apnea. I have obstructive vice central. I'm at 230 lbs and 6ft tall. I have a CPAP machine from the VA which works great! It also has the humidifier which really helps from getting dried out while sleeping. Highly recommend you use this feature just don't turn it up too much or you will get water in the air tube.
    I have been using mine for about 10 years now.
    You probably have a significant sleep deficit which will take years to overcome. I don't wake up gasping for air anymore but I also had to add oxygen to the CPAP as my O2 levels fell while sleeping. I am much more rested now but due to other health issues I sure don't have a ton of energy but would be much worse without it.
    One other thing, highly recommend using distilled water in the CPAP humidifier as it will stay cleaner. You will be breathing in the water vapor so you'll want it as sterile as possible.
    One thing you may want to consider is that people who don't sleep well tend to gain weight. Once you have your CPAP, and start getting used to it, you may find you start losing weight. I dropped 30 lbs over the last 8 years without trying to.
    Regardless, I wish you all the best. Try different masks to see what works best so that you keep it on at night. It's ok to try different ones until you get the one that works and you should swap out the mask, hose, and filters at least every 6 months if not sooner.
    All the best Sir!
    Thump
    Thump

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Thump View Post
    CuzJohn
    I also have sleep apnea. I have obstructive vice central. I'm at 230 lbs and 6ft tall. I have a CPAP machine from the VA which works great! It also has the humidifier which really helps from getting dried out while sleeping. Highly recommend you use this feature just don't turn it up too much or you will get water in the air tube.
    I have been using mine for about 10 years now.
    You probably have a significant sleep deficit which will take years to overcome. I don't wake up gasping for air anymore but I also had to add oxygen to the CPAP as my O2 levels fell while sleeping. I am much more rested now but due to other health issues I sure don't have a ton of energy but would be much worse without it.
    One other thing, highly recommend using distilled water in the CPAP humidifier as it will stay cleaner. You will be breathing in the water vapor so you'll want it as sterile as possible.
    One thing you may want to consider is that people who don't sleep well tend to gain weight. Once you have your CPAP, and start getting used to it, you may find you start losing weight. I dropped 30 lbs over the last 8 years without trying to.
    Regardless, I wish you all the best. Try different masks to see what works best so that you keep it on at night. It's ok to try different ones until you get the one that works and you should swap out the mask, hose, and filters at least every 6 months if not sooner.
    All the best Sir!
    Thump
    thanks i never knew the machines were around that long. i never wake up gasping or having a hard time breathing, all i know is i don't sleep much at all. i will give the machine a try, and see what happens
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i have become way too overweight. i quit smoking and gained over 10 pounds since then and just can't live with the weight i am carrying. 350 plus ponds right now. i am planning on having weight loss surgery and have been going through test b4 i have the surgery. the amount of test they require is ridiculous. first i had to see my primary doctor once a month for six months to make sure i really need to lose the weight, 4 visits done already. then i had a endoscope and colonoscopy, they found i have Barrett' s esophagus, then i have to see a shrink, a nutritionist, a heart doctor and a stress test. the stress test was done Thursday and that was fine. then i needed to have a SLEEP APNEA test. and they say i have it.

so my question is, if you have sleep apnea what mask do you use, and do you find that the machine helps you. my machine is being delivered to me on Monday, and they are bringing a few masks to see what one fit my big head. i never felt i had a problem, but my dogs wake me up at night sometimes, so i figured i am either talking in my sleep or something is going on. just looking for some information on the use of the machines. thanks
    ​I like the mask that goes over only the nose, but I had to change to one that also covers my mouth because my mouth wouldn't stay closed while sleeping thus drastically reducing the efficiency of the machine. I thank Lionking for encouraging me to see a doctor. We shared a hotel room (I think it was at Spyderfest '13) and he noticed that I often stopped breathing. When I had the sleep study they noted that I had several episodes of not breathing that exceeded 40-seconds. I now awake refreshed each morning. You might ask for a trial period for each mask where you can exchange it for a different one if necessary with no additional cost to you. I experienced virtually no difficulty in getting accustomed to wearing a mask, but some people have a tougher time. Be patient and give it time. I guarantee you will be better off. And don't blame your condition soley on your size. I have three friends who use CPAP machines and none is obese. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stillriding View Post
    ​I like the mask that goes over only the nose, but I had to change to one that also covers my mouth because my mouth wouldn't stay closed while sleeping thus drastically reducing the efficiency of the machine. I thank Lionking for encouraging me to see a doctor. We shared a hotel room (I think it was at Spyderfest '13) and he noticed that I often stopped breathing. When I had the sleep study they noted that I had several episodes of not breathing that exceeded 40-seconds. I now awake refreshed each morning. You might ask for a trial period for each mask where you can exchange it for a different one if necessary with no additional cost to you. I experienced virtually no difficulty in getting accustomed to wearing a mask, but some people have a tougher time. Be patient and give it time. I guarantee you will be better off. And don't blame your condition soley on your size. I have three friends who use CPAP machines and none is obese. Good luck.
    i told my doctor when he was ordering the machine for me that i tend to clog up at night, and i thought the mask over my nose and mouth like a oxygen mask in a hospital, would be the best for me.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

John,
    We KNOW that you can do it!!!

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

John, I use a C-Pap every night with a nebulizer (built in) to keep moisture in my nose and throat. You use a cup or two of distilled water. Both my wife and I use them because both of us have fallen asleep while driving. What a difference in the way you feel during the day. No more drowsiness and tired feeling. We both tried masks but now use the "nasal cannulas" that fit in your nose and held in place with a harness. Not hard to get use to at all. After a couple of days you won't believe how great you feel.

Do it John. It will definitely change the quality of your life. No more snoring! (and your dogs will get more rest)

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 12-13-2015 at 10:29 AM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Cpap

Like jack, I use one. Took a couple of weeks to get used to it, but I sleep like a rock now. Rested is good. Get it, use it, go swimming. Easy on the feet, great exercise.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

My experience with Sleep Naptia was that I kept falling asleep during the day and kept waking up at night. Cost me a job and a motorcycle accident. The problem is a lack of oxygen. The machine makes you breath thru your nose to get more oxygen to the brain. What you use for a mask depends on how you adapt to breathing thru your nose. I never had to wear a chin strap. Mine is still in the package from 8 years ago. They even make portable machines. I had one but it broke down last spring and the company burnt down and never rebuilt. The machine fits in the right saddlebag like it was made for it. Make sure to always use distilled water only. You don't realize what is in your water till you see it evaporated. It was a life saver for me. Best of luck.

Spyder Garage

Default Sleep apnea

I have been using one fourteen years now. My apnea was affecting my work, as I was falling asleep on the job. Ironically, I just got a new machine yesterday. I have been using the same machine all these years. I've used various masks. Presently, I am using a Philips Respironics comfort gel nasal mask, and a ResMed Autosense 10 CPAP. Also I have lost forty pounds. That got me off Glimiperide for type 2 diabetes. I weighed 230. I am now 185-190.

Spyder Garage

the only thing i worry about is someone seeing me with the tube hanging down and with my size, they might try to give me peanuts thinking i am a elephant
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

I to am Diabetic n an insulin pump,have sleep Apnea with a c-pap(full face mask) I had(past tense) Barretts, had 6 RF Ablations and they microwaved it off,talk to your Gasto Doc about it,it works!(now if they could just nuke my Diabetes)
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've been using a CPAP for over 5 years now. Made a big difference. I suggest you go to http://www.cpaptalk.com/CPAP-Sleep-Apnea-Forum.html. There isn't a sleep apnea related question or problem you can think of that hasn't been discussed at one time or another over there. Just like here on SL there are many helpful people over there who will give you guidance about how to make the best of your situation. Just like tires and oil, no one product serves everyone well, but some one product will meet your needs.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

When you Spyder 🕷 travel do you haul your gear with you? 🕸
    2012 RT , Yes Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    as far as loosing weight. i have tried many times to do it but can't. i can't walk due to diabetic neuropathy in my feet and get really bad pain in them. so the surgery i want and the doctor recommended was call the sleeve. with this they remove most of my stomach and leave about a 4 oz. sack so my eating is greatly reduced. they don't want to do the bypass because back in 1998 i had my prostate removed and the way they did it back then, they figure there might be too much scar tissue in the area to fight through.

yes i am a mess, and like i tell all the people i know, I'M DEAD, JUST TOO STUPID TO LAY DOWN.
    I've had 14 surgeries in the last ten years including reataching a foot I snapped off and back surgery. I started aqua therapy and it has changed my life. I got some Crocks water shoes and primarily walk and stretch. It is absolutely amazing the difference it makes. I go three to five days a week and cannot tell you how much difference it is making.

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dubliner View Post
    If I am going to be gone for 3 days or more..Yep...I take it with me...Full face mask,and I feel bad if I don't use it.

Spyder Garage

John,
    The reason that your doctor is having you see so many different health professionals before they do the gastric banding is that it's major surgery AND you will need to be willing to drastically change how you approach eating. Sleep apnea as you can tell affects a lot of people. The treatment for it is just one of multiple conditions that others have to deal with.
    You will need to take your sleep apnea equipment with you wherever you go in your travels. This link is from WebMD and give a lot of good information; the most important of which is that you need to pay attention to your body and stop eating when you first feel full. You can overeat and restrech your stomach and effectively negate any benefit of having the surgery.
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/restrictive-operations-stomach-stapling-or-gastric-banding

Good luck to you in your journey, hope all goes well for you.

Al

PS to M109dreamer is that your cpap mask your showing in your avitar???
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Jonh, I had weight loss surgery back in '08. Before the surgery, I used to get up twice a night to go to the bathroom. I'd fall asleep during the day constantly. Part of the pre surgery tests I had included a sleep test. Turns out I had sleep apnea really bad. I took me several weeks to get used to the cpap. I must have gone through 6 masks. Once I found the one I could handle, I started sleeping so much better. I had more energy throughout the day. Never got up in the night to visit the bathroom. I used to joke and say if my house caught on fire, the first thing I'd save would be my cpap.
    I had a second sleep study a yr after my surgery, and my apnea was gone. I still used the cpap on and off for several more months before I stopped using it all together.

Remember weight loss surgery is a tool to help you to loose weight. If you choose to eat the wrong foods, you can and will put the weight back on.
    If you have any questions about WLS, PM me...

Spyder Garage

thanks everyone, i get the machine tomorrow so i hope it works for me.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

I have sleep apnea. Ive used a cpap for a long time. My wife used to notice I would quit breathing several times a night and I went to have the sleep study. I have have a Bipap that gives a different pressure on inhale than exhale. I wear a full face mask, cant remember the name of it though. Weight is a big contributor. If I can get my weight down to 260-270 or below, I can discontinue using it unless I gain it back. Its a constant struggle to keep it off the older I get. I have a treadmill and use it till My feet start to hurt. Then I stop. This time of year is the hardest because there is always good cooking going on and I cant resist.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've never been diagnosed with sleep apnea, but I'm sure I have it. I snore when I sleep on my back (usually), and get sleepy during the day, especially when I'm driving/ryding all day. It may be the reason I'm over-caffeinated! I'm self-insured, so I haven't gone for the test, but will eventually.

I know people who have had weight-loss surgery. Like someone else said, it's not the end-all solution. Even after an initial weight loss, you can gain the weight back if you don't change the way you eat - permanently, every day for the rest of your life! I am a life-member in Weight-Watchers, meaning I've reached my goal weight and kept it off for a certain time. But I've gained back and lost it again. (I'm currently fighting the re-gaining of the weight.) A gal in my WW group had the surgery, and said she felt like she had "cheated" compared to others there. But of course, she did what she had to do and is now using what she learns at WW to eat healthy while she looses the weight.

I commend you for taking positive steps to improve your life and will pray for you as you go through this process.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dubliner View Post

I sleep with it on every night everywhere I go. Travels well in the Spyder or my BMW motorcycles.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick