Thread: trailing 2 RT's

Spyder Garage

Default trailing 2 RT's

Hi Folks
    Has anyone done this before.
    I have 2 RT's and want to trailer them both on long haul vacations. I plan to buy an enclosed one so I can use it to store the bikes during the winter.
    My questions is, they are over 8ft long, Can I maneuver them both into a 16 ft trailer or do I need the 18 footer

Always better in Pairs

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The local dealer puts 2 in a trailer by driving the first one in, shifting the back to the left, then backing in the second one with the back shifted to the right.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you put them nose to tail; you've got to remember that you need room at each end for tying them down...
    We just had another thread in here discussing this issue, and I believe that if you get an eight-foot wide trailer; you can shorten things up considerably!

EDIT: I found the thread for you...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...iler-questions
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 12-08-2015 at 11:44 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default A simple suggestion

Create scale cut-outs of interior of the trailer you are eyeing and of the Spyders - see what fits remembering that you've got to have room for tie-down straps and the like.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

'At the very minimum I would get the 18". A twenty footer would be much more comfortable. I would suggest the 20 by 7 foot wide. Also a minimum of 6' interior height unless you want to stay bent over the entire time you are in the trailer. My back says no. Nothing like a little breathing room inside the trailer for tying down or bringing a tool box, bucket for washing and the wifey's curlers. ( do women still use those things?)

If the pocket book will allow, two sets of those wonderful Canadian drive on chocks. I use them and they are wonderful. safe and easy.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I have a 7X20 V nose. Works good. My friend Wiredux just got one as well. I have d rings in the floor. four on each side and 3 down the middle. Mine is six foot and his is 7 foot tall. Just note that the ramp door needs to be a minimum of 7 feet wide. Make sure it's dual axle, 15" tires and have a spare tire and hitch pin when you travel.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Beware of rear nike travel.

We take our bike on longer trips in a toy hauler. I went to Sturgis (3000Mile trip) this year with a friend. My RT and his HD. The one issue we had was the to close. The RT bounced the rear tire over and got real close to his HD. We did catch it in time but had to unload both bikes , then load them back again. Make sure the back tire is tied down real good, or it may bounce right or left on our not so smooth highways.
    So not so small is going to be better when trying to get loaded or unloaded. We have the drive in chocks for the front wheel and I can have the bike ready to ride in five minuets.

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer Spare Tire(s)

Input from a lurker, studying your forum while I consider a Spyder purchase...

When I was hauling my bride's horses in our horse trailer, we had a specialized road side service company that provided towing services that included a tow truck large enough to haul both our pickup truck and the trailer. This specialized service company urged its members to always carry TWO mounted spare tires, as frequently the 'rescue' drivers would find that the 'thing' in the road that damaged the front tire on one side of the trailer also damaged the rear tire on the same side. Carrying two mounted spares in a large enough trailer (or sufficient room in the tow vehicle) could be a real asset at some point.

Thanks for all of your educational postings!
    Last edited by Moxie; 12-13-2015 at 12:19 PM.

Registered Users spydermanstever's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sawblade View Post
    Hi Folks
    Has anyone done this before.
    I have 2 RT's and want to trailer them both on long haul vacations. I plan to buy an enclosed one so I can use it to store the bikes during the winter.
    My questions is, they are over 8ft long, Can I maneuver them both into a 16 ft trailer or do I need the 18 footer

Always better in Pairs
    I checked the specs on the RTL > 105" long x 61.9" wide x 59.4" high. So two RTL's tight would be (105" x2) = 210" /12 = 17.5 feet. I have a 7 x 16 V-nose enclosed trailer that can handle my Spyder and RT-622 trailer together no problem. As for hauling two Spyders, I have never tried it, but I think a 19 ft trailer would be best to allow some spacing in between them.
    SpydermanStever
    2015 CanAm Spyder RT Limited
    Intense Red Pearl

Garmin Montana 650 GPS
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    BajaRon Anti-Swaybar
    FOBO Tpm's
    Lamonster Lidlox Combo Handlebar Helmet Locks, Spyder Cuff Cup & Phone Holder
    Big Bike Parts Fairing Bra
    Custom Dynamics LED lighting - high mount brake light and all reflectors changed to LED
    WOLO Air Horn
    BRP CB, Satellite Radio, Headset
    BRP RT-622 Trailer