Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 rt limited won`t start

Hi I`m Jim
    I have a 2013 rt limited I replaced the rear tire it has 6000 km on it . It now will not start the fuses are all good ,the battery is fully charged.
    I re checked every step that I had done when I did the tire and everything seems to be ok. Has anyone have this happen to them and did they find the problem.
    Thanks for any help Jim

Spyder Garage

could be several things. First check the connections at the battery and make sure they are tight. Does the screen light up when you turn the key to the on position? If so, make sure the bike is in neutral. If in neutral and still nothing, make sure the kill switch on the handlebars is in the run position. If all this checks good, then I believe your battery has crapped out. Try jump starting your bike with another vehicle but make sure the jump vehicle is not running. If nothing of the above doesn't start the bike , looks like a trip to the dealership is in order.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Double check....

changing the tire should not cause you any problems. Make sure you are not in gear if manual pull in the clutch or put it in neutral if semi auto step on the brake. Make sure you press the mode button when told to and check the kill switch. Otherwise you may have disconnected some thing in the tire change process...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Hi Ex Rocket

I have tried everything you have mentioned. The bike is in 1st gear and have foot on brake when trying to start. How can I get the bike in neutral and will that help. when I take the brake off the bike will roll back and forth is that normal when it is in gear. Is there a neutral start switch on the brake pedal? Jim

Spyder Garage

Take the key out of the ignition for one minute and then put it back in and try again

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Take the key out of the ignition for one minute and then put it back in and try again

Cruzr Joe
    I have also tried that and disconnected the battery for a couple of minutes and tried that

RCEME JIM

Spyder Garage

Default Any indication that you have power

Are you getting any signs of power or completely dead? Any lights on dash working?
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

what happens (exactly, step by step) when you insert the key and turn the ignition on?

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Are brake lights working?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rceme View Post
    Hi Ex Rocket

I have tried everything you have mentioned. The bike is in 1st gear and have foot on brake when trying to start. How can I get the bike in neutral and will that help. when I take the brake off the bike will roll back and forth is that normal when it is in gear. Is there a neutral start switch on the brake pedal? Jim

If your bike is in first gear, it won't start. To get bike into neutral, turn key to on position, let computer boot up and then push menu button which your dash should show, speed, odometer etc. It will also show what gear your in. If not in neutral, press down the brake pedal, and while holding the brake pedal down, push the starter button and the bike should shift from first to neutral. and the bike should start now. If it doesn't then you either have the kill switch in wrong position or your battery is too weak to engage the starter. If it was me I'd hook up another vehicle vis jumper cables and try doing the above sequence and see what happens. Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    If your bike is in first gear, it won't start. To get bike into neutral, turn key to on position, let computer boot up and then push menu button which your dash should show, speed, odometer etc. It will also show what gear your in. If not in neutral, press down the brake pedal, and while holding the brake pedal down, push the starter button and the bike should shift from first to neutral. and the bike should start now. If it doesn't then you either have the kill switch in wrong position or your battery is too weak to engage the starter. If it was me I'd hook up another vehicle vis jumper cables and try doing the above sequence and see what happens. Hope this helps.
    The Spyder does not shift to neutral before stating. It shifts to neutral after the engine starts. Common misconception.

From page 54 of the 2013 RT owners manual

SE5 Model
    NOTE: The SE5 model can be started
    in any gear with the brake pedal depressed.
    The transmission automatically
    shifts to neutral when the engine
    has been started.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the correction. Sorry to mislead anyone.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We still don't know what the symptoms are...
    "Not starting"; is about like telling the Doctor that you "just don't feel well"; we need a lot more information, before trying to diagnose this one...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    We still don't know what the symptoms are...
    "Not starting"; is about like telling the Doctor that you "just don't feel well"; we need a lot more information, before trying to diagnose this one...
    RCEME JIM

OK lets start over [1] Bike has 6000km and worked great till the rear tire was replaced
    [ 2] Battery replaced and tested all fuses.
    [3 ] When you turn on the key the dash lights up the way it should and in the proper sequence all the lights come on
    the driving lights signal lights and brake lights work.
    [4 ] Push the mode switch put foot on brake because bike is in 1st gear nothing happens no click nothing emergency stop
    switch in right position.
    [5] When you put foot on brake when trying to start bike is there a neutral start switch or sensor that could not be activating
    if so does anyone know where it is at????

Thanks RCEME JIM

Spyder Garage

RCEME JIM

OK lets start over [1] Bike has 6000km and worked great till the rear tire was replaced
    [ 2] Battery replaced and tested all fuses.
    [3 ] When you turn on the key the dash lights up the way it should and in the proper sequence all the lights come on
    the driving lights signal lights and brake lights work.
    [4 ] Push the mode switch put foot on brake because bike is in 1st gear nothing happens no click nothing emergency stop
    switch in right position.
    [5] When you put foot on brake when trying to start bike is there a neutral start switch or sensor that could not be activating
    if so does anyone know where it is at????

Thanks RCEME JIM

Good description ................. maybe someone has some suggestions now.

Cruzr Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is a very good description...
    Based upon how you have described the situation; it's time to start double-checking each and every thing along the way...
    Assume nothing... good luck!

Spyder Garage

Good description.

I think the system uses the brake lights to detect that the brake pedal is pressed. That is why I asked if the brake lights work. But I could be wrong and it could be the brake pressure switch.
    So do the brake lights works?

If you really feel it's a neutral detection issue. Just put in in neutral manually. It's easy enough. Get a 13 mm open end wrench. There should be one in your tool kit. Put it on the flats on the shift lever. It's located behind the tupperware just in front of the left foot peg. Swing the lever forward once. That should put it in neutral.

Also check for a bad key problem. Not likely but to rule it out. Turn the key on and wait about a minute. If you don't see a bad key message that's not it.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Good description.

I think the system uses the brake lights to detect that the brake pedal is pressed. That is why I asked if the brake lights work. But I could be wrong and it could be the brake pressure switch.
    So do the brake lights works?

If you really feel it's a neutral detection issue. Just put in in neutral manually. It's easy enough. Get a 13 mm open end wrench. There should be one in your tool kit. Put it on the flats on the shift lever. It's located behind the tupperware just in front of the left foot peg. Swing the lever forward once. That should put it in neutral.

Also check for a bad key problem. Not likely but to rule it out. Turn the key on and wait about a minute. If you don't see a bad key message that's not it.
    The brake light switch appears to be correct. Ensure brake lights work.

Agree, try putting it in neutral by hand - and yes, because the bike has a centrifugal clutch, it will roll even when in gear.

As a quick check, besides ensuring that fuse F12 is good, Put your finger on Relay R2 - in the front fuse box - while someone presses the start button after going through the normal start sequence with your foot on the brake. You should feel it click if all the conditions are met. If it does click, investigate power distribution to the starter / starter solenoid. If it doesn't click, then check for a bad relay or other switches and conditions for starting.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

RCEME JIM

Hi everyone success at last I took the left lower side panels off put the bike in neutral disconnected the battery to reset the ECM went into the house and got the spare key . Wife was standing there with lunch ready had to sit eat lunch and out to the garage put in new key and what a gorgeous sound to the ears . so I am thinking putting it in neutral and resetting the ECM did it.

I want to thank everyone that helped me and this is a great site to belong to.

Thanks again for the help MERRY XMAS to ALL. And happy holidays RCEME JIM RCEME is Royal Canadian Electrical Mechanical Engineers it was the unit I was with for 30 years in the Canadian Forces.

Spyder Garage

RCEME JIM

Hi everyone success at last I took the left lower side panels off put the bike in neutral disconnected the battery to reset the ECM went into the house and got the spare key . Wife was standing there with lunch ready had to sit eat lunch and out to the garage put in new key and what a gorgeous sound to the ears . so I am thinking putting it in neutral and resetting the ECM did it.

I want to thank everyone that helped me and this is a great site to belong to.

Thanks again for the help MERRY XMAS to ALL. And happy holidays RCEME JIM RCEME is Royal Canadian Electrical Mechanical Engineers it was the unit I was with for 30 years in the Canadian Forces.
    Resetting the ECM by disconnecting the battery not likely. But who knows. More important is will it start in gear. If it won't that's a problem that needs to be fixed. Now that you know how to put it in neutral manually. Test it and if it won't. Find out why.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update.
    Glad to hear that you're now, "Back on Three"!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm new to this game, but are the ignition keys chipped ? Could it be a bad key was the problem?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    I'm new to this game, but are the ignition keys chipped ? Could it be a bad key was the problem?
    No it was not the key the two of them still work and yes I think they are chipped

RCEME JIM

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    If it was a bad key; the bike would tell you...

Does anyone have a picture, of what that looks like on the display??
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 12-05-2015 at 06:37 PM.

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

No it was not the key the two of them still work and yes I think they are chipped

RCEME JIM
    Yes, they are chipped.