Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Reminder to carry contact information cards

Although my incindent isn't directly related to riding, it is still important to have for all occasions. Thursday morning I got out of my car pool vehicle in front of the office building in downtown Seattle. Somehow my cell phone exited from my pocket without me knowing. When I got to my desk on the 15th floor I realized I didn't have my cell phone. I did a ping for the location of my phone and it showed it was in the area. I went back down to the street and found my phone next to the curb laying in the water from the rain. However, it had been ran over by a vehicle with studded tires. It was toast.

At noon I used my lunch hour to walk down 6 blocks to get me a new phone. It was still raining. (Go figure, it's Seattle). While I was walking down the sidewalk about 2 blocks from my destination I stepped on a large diamond plate metal cover for city utilites. My right foot slip and I landed with all my weight on my left knee. I was on the concrete holding my left knee to my chest in servere pain. People just walked around me. The first person to stop and ask me if I was ok was a homeless man. (unbelievable how "people" don't want to be involved). Short synopsis is that I dislocated my left knee. The paramedics put it back in place when they had to straighten my leg to put me in an air cast splint. ED doc was concern I fractured my patella. Good news is that no fractures. Strained tendons/muscle and dislocation.

Now the moral of the story. My cell phone is toast. I didn't make to AT&T store. I don't know even my wife's cell number. All my contacts to anyone i know is in my phone. I had to log in using the hospital's computer to my AT&T account to find my wife's phone number. My smartphone has made me dumb.

As I type my wife is working on contact numbers, my meds I'm on (I'm an insulin dependant diabetic). I will have this information card in my wallet, another on the Spyder, and each vehicle. If I had hit my head and loss consciousness paramedics, ER, would not have any information about me. I would encourage carry cards with contact information for those unfortunate incident.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KJWEB; 12-04-2015 at 04:52 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for a very good heads up.
    hope you heal quickly

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great idea about the contact info!!! Sorry about your accident, my knees are pinging with sympathy pain, OUCH!!!! I hope you get better quickly and don't need surgery!!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Red face

good idea

Spyder Garage

Cell phones are the problem, i think we ought to ban cell phones that have more than 8 contacts because they are dangerous especially in the hands of American Infidels, Ohhh Sorry i went off on the wrong soap box that time, hope you get to feeling better.

(Note to self, stay on subject)

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default I recommend RoadID

Checkout RoadID. When I ride, I often have my wallet in the trunk. So if I get thrown off, I could be parted from my cell phone and wallet info. And I know from personal experience, when stressed out and in pain, even well known phone numbers are impossible for me to get right.

http://www.roadid.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i carry apiece of paper with all my meds listed, i also wear a medic alert necklace with all my info on it. this is something like the one i have

http://www.amazon.com/Medical-Alert-.../dp/B0044YMF2O

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't store any of my information in "technology"; it all goes into a notebook!
    Along with my prescriptions, my physicians, and my blood glucose logs...
    (I'm also an insulin-dependent Diabetic: fifty years of on the job training with it! )

Heal quickly!!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 12-04-2015 at 06:12 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default ICE Card

Sorry about your fall. Heal quickly!

I carry and ICE (In Case of Emergency) card in my 1. wallet and 2. on the bike and 3. in my MC jacket pocket.
    Along with copies of Insurance card and registration. I also wear a Med Alert bracelet with medications inscribed on the inside of the medallion. Never be without you emergency information. I know from experience in a severe moto accident that the ICE can save your life.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for reminder. Glad you made it ok, have a bud loads all nessary info on a excell file & keeps on a medical ID labeled thumb drive And keeps a spare with properly instructed family in case of emergency. The often forgotten part is keeping it properly updated, numbers, meds, conditions. Try at-least once a year & hope you never actually need it, just properly prepared.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the heads up. Get well soon.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for the different ideas for medical and contact information.

I have to add this to my incident. After I got home from the ER, my wife read online that a 2.5 earthquake was reported in downtown Seattle about the timeframe I had my fall. No I didn't cause the earthquake......er at least I don't think I did.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You had one heck of a day. I'm glad you will be okay and that is a good idea about carrying info.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Ouch!

Hope all turns out well for you. I agree, always good to have contact info backed up.
    I wear a MedicAlert dog tag most everyday due to a previous injury, but having info other than your phone or wallet is a great idea
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default +1 for Road ID

Quote Originally Posted by KJWEB View Post
    As I type my wife is working on contact numbers, my meds I'm on (I'm an insulin dependent diabetic). I will have this information card in my wallet, another on the Spyder, and each vehicle. If I had hit my head and lost consciousness, paramedics, ER, would not have any information about me. I would encourage carry cards with contact information for those unfortunate incident.
    Heal fast! FAST, I say!!

Sorry that happened to you. I hope you feel better soon.
    Somebody else mentioned "Road ID". I really feel safer with this doohickey. For some time, I used a necklace type tag, with my name, age and major allergies on it. Now I use a wrist band. It's got the name etc on the front, on the back is info for a website that has my contacts and medical info. I have to do this, because I know if I'm found unconscious somewhere, the first thing that will happen is somebody will want to feed me sulfa drugs and peanuts (my 2 serious allergies).

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandeejs View Post
    ....... because I know if I'm found unconscious somewhere, the first thing that will happen is somebody will want to feed me sulfa drugs and peanuts (my 2 serious allergies).......
    IMHO, Always wearing a tag/bracelet with ID, contact details, & any important medical info is a must - if you think there's a risk with allergies to sulfa drugs (&/or peanuts)..... serious enough in their own right but relatively common allergies & understood as a risk by most Emergency Medics; you want to try living with an anaphylactic reaction to paracetamol!! Even when I'm not unconscious & have just told the medics that ANY paracetamol could kill me, they often STILL give me stuff with that crap in it!! And it's such a commonly used drug these days, found in sooo many 'over the counter' drugs & compounds with little knowledge or understanding of its relatively low lethal dose for everyone & anyone out there, let alone for those of us in the extremely small group who have an anaphylactic reaction to it!!

I wear a Medic Alert tag AND a bracelet, carry a card in my wallet & one affixed to the Spyder, & have an 'In Case of Emergency' (ICE) USB attached to the key ring!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-05-2015 at 12:02 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have to add this to my incident. After I got home from the ER, my wife read online that a 2.5 earthquake was reported in downtown Seattle about the timeframe I had my fall. No I didn't cause the earthquake......er at least I don't think I did.
    At least you now know who to blame for the fall...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow! Talk about a bad day!

I hope you'll be better soon and thanks for the ideas!

Spyder Garage

Although my incindent isn't directly related to riding, it is still important to have for all occasions. Thursday morning I got out of my car pool vehicle in front of the office building in downtown Seattle. Somehow my cell phone exited from my pocket without me knowing. When I got to my desk on the 15th floor I realized I didn't have my cell phone. I did a ping for the location of my phone and it showed it was in the area. I went back down to the street and found my phone next to the curb laying in the water from the rain. However, it had been ran over by a vehicle with studded tires. It was toast.

At noon I used my lunch hour to walk down 6 blocks to get me a new phone. It was still raining. (Go figure, it's Seattle). While I was walking down the sidewalk about 2 blocks from my destination I stepped on a large diamond plate metal cover for city utilites. My right foot slip and I landed with all my weight on my left knee. I was on the concrete holding my left knee to my chest in servere pain. People just walked around me. The first person to stop and ask me if I was ok was a homeless man. (unbelievable how "people" don't want to be involved). Short synopsis is that I dislocated my left knee. The paramedics put it back in place when they had to straighten my leg to put me in an air cast splint. ED doc was concern I fractured my patella. Good news is that no fractures. Strained tendons/muscle and dislocation.

Now the moral of the story. My cell phone is toast. I didn't make to AT&T store. I don't know even my wife's cell number. All my contacts to anyone i know is in my phone. I had to log in using the hospital's computer to my AT&T account to find my wife's phone number. My smartphone has made me dumb.

As I type my wife is working on contact numbers, my meds I'm on (I'm an insulin dependant diabetic). I will have this information card in my wallet, another on the Spyder, and each vehicle. If I had hit my head and loss consciousness paramedics, ER, would not have any information about me. I would encourage carry cards with contact information for those unfortunate incident.

Sounds like a bad day at Black Rock.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Pray you heal quickly

Hope you heal soon - thank so much for the info - just ordered one each for my husband and myself - great idea!
    Thanks again.

Spyder Garage

Default Type II Diabetic

My wife had me get a tattoo on my inside lower arm. Medical Staff with the word Diabetic above it. Paramedics don't go through your wallet or pockets looking for cards. Dr. told her about tattoos for medical alerts to rescue and medical people. Week after I got it I was in ER. They all liked the tat.
    Last edited by Inspector; 12-05-2015 at 02:38 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector View Post
    My wife had me get a tattoo on my inside lower arm. Medical Staff with the word Diabetic above it. Paramedics don't go through your wallet or pockets looking for cards. Dr. told her about tattoos for medical alerts to rescue and medical people. Week after I got it I was in ER. They all liked the tat.
    I've always been interested in getting a "Medic-Alert" tattoo added to my hide...
    so that I can show the Missus?

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reminder, Get well soon!
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

You can ware a USB dog tag with contact information and medication and doctors names and information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by J48cruiser View Post
    You can ware a USB dog tag with contact information and medication and doctors names and information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Try ROAD ID