Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Dripping from black tube

We just home from a 4hour ride and noticed a few wet drops under the syder. It kinda smells like gas and is coming from a black tube. We did hit a speed bump but not hard. Any ideas? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449184764.468279.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1449184798.801957.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kellyk6; 12-03-2015 at 06:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

If you have a RT with a 998 Rotax engine this could be caused by overfilling the fuel tank. And probably won't show up immediately after you fill up.

More info on the year and model of your Spyder would help in diagnosing any problems.

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Thanks. It is a 2010 RT with 998. We checked it again and it has stopped.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    If you have a RT with a 998 Rotax engine this could be caused by overfilling the fuel tank.

Cruzr joe
    Oh brother.... total myth! Over filling the tank is a myth and in no way causes this!

But anyway....

The truth is..... if it is a 998 his Evap canister is saturated and needs to be replaced and the check valve and fuel venting system checked.

Yes this is a problem on all 998's and unless you have a 2013 and can get the full recall done that stops this from happening, it won't be the last time you have to deal with this.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 12-03-2015 at 08:29 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Oh brother.... total myth! Over filling the tank is a myth and in no way causes this!

But anyway....

The truth is..... if it is a 998 his Evap canister is saturated and needs to be replaced and the check valve and fuel venting system checked.

Yes this is a problem on all 998's and unless you have a 2013 and can get the full recall done that stops this from happening, it won't be the last time you have to deal with this.

Bob
    I did the "canisterectomy' and threw mine in the trash a couple years ago.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

But anyway....

Bob
    Thank you Bob. I know I can always count on you and a small handful of other people to provide REAL answers in this cesspool of misinformation.

Pam
    Last edited by Pampurrs; 12-03-2015 at 10:27 PM.

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

If you think it is a myth ........................ keep overfilling it

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I distinctively remember reading somewhere "NOT" to overfill the gas tank on models before 2015. Not sure of the legitimacy of that, but I don't think you should overfill ANY gas tank. JMO!

Spyder Garage

But anyway....

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    Thank you Bob. I know I can always count on you and a small handful of other people to provide REAL answers in this cesspool of misinformation.

Pam
    Quote Originally Posted by thefishknot3 View Post
    I distinctively remember reading somewhere "NOT" to overfill the gas tank on models before 2015. Not sure of the legitimacy of that, but I don't think you should overfill ANY gas tank. JMO!

The earlier models with the 998 had a problem when you overfilled the fuel tanks, the 1330s don't have anywhere near that problem, but i agree with you that no tank should be overfilled.

my point on that was to make the OP aware of that, shameful that some folks did not take a snickers break before posting rude remarks.

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

Right!

Spyder Garage

The over filling thing is a myth.... Please think about it.

1) The filler is below the top of the tank thus you can't "overfill it".
    2) No matter how much you don't fill it, when you ride and make a corner or stop fast, do you think the gas just sits there level and does not slosh around thus splashing up near the top of the tank where the vent line is?

Just common sense folks...

And yes Joe I fill my as full as I can get it. Always have because this over fill thing makes no sense at all.

Oh and just to ask, what is considered over filling?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Although i will easily concede that you have more mechanical knowledge concerning the Spyder than i do. I respectfully disagree with the statement that you can not overfill the gas tank. i owned two different 998 engine spyders and two 1330 spyders, on the 998, if you filled the tank to a point where it almost spills out, you will get fuel dripping from the black vent tube underneath and you will have a strong gas odor in your garage, this does not occur on the 1330s. This is one of those things that 998 owners learned early on to prevent the fumes smell in their garage, This is what i was trying to convey to the Original Poster who apparently has not had his Spyder very long. And while i respect your right to disagree, i feel that you did so rudely, but at least you had some reasoning, where certain others were rude, just to be rude.

Cruzr Joe

The over filling thing is a myth.... Please think about it.

1) The filler is below the top of the tank thus you can't "overfill it".
    2) No matter how much you don't fill it, when you ride and make a corner or stop fast, do you think the gas just sits there level and does not slosh around thus splashing up near the top of the tank where the vent line is?

Just common sense folks...

And yes Joe I fill my as full as I can get it. Always have because this over fill thing makes no sense at all.

Oh and just to ask, what is considered over filling?

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cruzr Joe; 12-04-2015 at 01:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

Anyone else care to share their experience with over filling? Please feel free to join in

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

Although i will easily concede that you have more mechanical knowledge concerning the Spyder than i do. I respectfully disagree with the statement that you can not overfill the gas tank. i owned two different 998 engine spyders and two 1330 spyders, on the 998, if you filled the tank to a point where it almost spills out, you will get fuel dripping from the black vent tube underneath and you will have a strong gas odor in your garage, this does not occur on the 1330s. This is one of those things that 998 owners learned early on to prevent the fumes smell in their garage, This is what i was trying to convey to the Original Poster who apparently has not had his Spyder very long. And while i respect your right to disagree, i feel that you did so rudely, but at least you had some reasoning, where certain others were rude, just to be rude.

Cruzr Joe

That's okay, Joe. I was called an "idiot" awhile back. Ain't no biggie. (and it wasn't any of the Bobs)

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post

That's okay, Joe. I was called an "idiot" awhile back. Ain't no biggie. (and it wasn't any of the Bobs)

Chris

I often wonder why people have to do that to others .............................. my philosophy is if i don't like your posts, i just skip over them, if i don't like a certain person, for whatever reason, i can put them on ignore, i have no one on ignore at this point because i think we all have a right to express our opinions. I for one know that you are not an "Idiot".

and with that

, like I ever really get out of that corner.

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

When I get fumes it's because it was a hot day and the gas tank was boiling thus throwing a massive amount of gas fumes into the canister and saturating it.
    Once the hot gas fumes cool and condense, you have liquid fuel in the canister.
    Over time this builds up and becomes a constant problem and yes you can get drips out the tube.

If on filling you get gas out the tube, something was or is wrong. Your purge valve should not have allowed that.
    Or possibly your evap canister was already saturated or full of gas and just sure pressure from filling pushed it out.
    Or many other causes for allowing raw gas into the canister.

The 1330's do not have this problem for many reasons.
    Evap system is different.
    Doesn't get as hot causing the gas tank to boil (not saying that can't happen though).
    Fuel regulator and return system is different.

Now the root of the problem is the evap canister design on the 998. If you look at the full 2013 recall this entire system is replaced why? To stop that from happening which is a fire hazard. If you look at the NTSB investigation, one of the things they looked at and found problems with was the evap canister system. Thus the 2013 recall directly addresses this. The recall also changes the fuel regulator and no longer pumps hot return gas to the tank. This helps with the boiling gas tank issue WHICH causes the evap canister to get saturated.

In the end the design of the system should not let raw gas into the canister and in fact this is happening (more so due to condensed fumes) but it is not due to overfilling though some think this was the issue.

Again though, define over filling please?

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 12-04-2015 at 04:36 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Sorry, i would be more technical but I explained overfilling as best as i could,

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

Default I stop when the nozzle clicks off

As far as filling goes, I have had good results filling the tank until the nozzle clicks off on its own. I don't squeeze in any extra. I also carry a snickers in frunk just in case.........

2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    As far as filling goes, I have had good results filling the tank until the nozzle clicks off on its own. I don't squeeze in any extra. I also carry a snickers in frunk just in case.........

Now Brent, the technical problem with carrying a Snickers in the front is

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

<snip> shameful that some folks did not take a snickers break before posting rude remarks.

Cruzr Joe
    Sorry Joe, I didn't mean to be rude. I was only making an observation. It wasn't directed at you.

Pam
    Last edited by Pampurrs; 12-04-2015 at 06:28 PM.

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

Sorry Joe, I didn't mean to be rude. I was only making an observation. It wasn't directed at you.

Pam

"Thank you Bob. I know I can always count on you and a small handful of other people to provide REAL answers in this cesspool of misinformation.

Pam"

Hard to read that as anything but rude and directed at me seen as i was the only one who offered a response.

Cruzr Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For my 2012 RS SE5 one of the first thing my Dealer said when doing the final walk around after purchase is "Do Not over fill the gas tank" and "do not use the power switch to turn the Spyder on and Off". Not sure if its a myth or not. Never did either of those things and never had a problem.

Spyder Garage

Hard to read that as anything but rude and directed at me seen as i was the only one who offered a response.

Cruzr Joe
    I guess I'd forgotten how overly sensitive you are.......

It had to do with an ongoing dialog from a technical forum that I belong to. It was a general statement, and a compliment to Finless Bob. But if you want to believe it was an insult directed at you, then so be it.

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

I guess I'd forgotten how overly sensitive you are.......

It had to do with an ongoing dialog from a technical forum that I belong to. It was a general statement, and a compliment to Finless Bob. But if you want to believe it was an insult directed at you, then so be it.

Pam

, it is what it is. I will go have a snickers bar to ease my overly sensitive feelings.

In the for what it's worth column, i am not mad about about it, just making a point

Cruzr Joe