Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Post Random codes or a real problem?

Related in some way? Or not?

Late in the summer the '11 RTS threw a P160E code(throttle body). Only one time, without repeat, so I chalked it up to randomness. Then two days ago(and within days of having the new engine cooling vents installed) it threw a P0174(#2 cylinder lean condition) accompanied with the unrelenting check engine orange screen. Side note to P0174 - it has fresh silicone hoses.

Planning trips and the mind set of whether to do it on two or three wheels.

Had intended to take off on the Spyder for a week(6th thru the 13th)because three wheels really matched my solo plans, but the dealer is busy and can't look at it until Tuesday 12/15.

I can still go(FJR)but I was very much looking forward to being on the Spyder this time. The FJR and I did a week plus back in May(Ca, Nv, Ut, Co, Nb, & Ia). A great trip it was....even tho, if you remember? It was raining cats and dogs that month.

I'm bummed! And, I want more dependability for the $ spent. Love the Spyder....but

Update & correction to follow up post below: BRP ended up not covering this under its BEST warranty. Total cost of repair $600.00.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 02-03-2016 at 05:56 AM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THROTTLE BODY ISSUE

If memory serves, the 10 & 11's had throttle body issue's ( maybe re-calls also ). Not all of them but more than just a few......How many miles is on yours ???..... Did you have the LIMP MODE kick in ???............Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one..!!

Seems the throttle body has not been a problem even if it through the code back then. Having had the work done with the venting could be the computer hasn't re calibrated. I often wonder how they measure that lean situation cause if it is by heat one cylinder always runs hotter than the other. Suzuki staggard the cylinders to get more air to the rear even when water cooled. If the codes clear it would seem to be a hiccup. You could check with Lou over at pirate powersports for a check up....either way hope you have a great trip...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

If only for peace of mind, I'd take it in if you have a good dealership or mechanic. Then decide.

You can always do what I did when I took a bike on a trip that was throwing some random codes - I replaced it while I was there!

(That was after it completely broke down and I'd had it with problems every 3000 miles.)
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Jerry, the TB may just need cleaning! It's not that hard to do except of course getting the air box out.

I have the TB service bulletin if you would like it.
    Here is the link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...G5FSTZ6WlRmTHc

Since you have gone this far without a TB total failure my bet is a cleaning will solve it.

FYI, per the bulletin, the TB needs to be cleaned regularly no matter what year spyder you have and if it gets gunked up, it will throw codes just like a failed TB.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you ever changed those vacuum lines?
    They do deteriorate, and can cause all sorts of headaches...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Have you ever changed those vacuum lines?
    They do deteriorate, and can cause all sorts of headaches...
    If you read his post, he said he has and I know he has because he sent me a new set for mine

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I missed his "side note"...

I must have been looking for the word "vacuum" somewhere in the post...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 12-03-2015 at 02:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

Arrow Update: Repaired

Bad wiring harness. Replaced. Total down time for repair - three weeks because of holidays.

Spyder Garage

Bugga!! So I take it you didn't get to do the trip on your Spyder

Good thing it's sorted now tho!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Bad wiring harness. Replaced. Total down time for repair - three weeks because of holidays.
    Did you do it or a dealer?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Arrow Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Did you do it or a dealer?

Bob
    B.E.S.T. warranty *See correction post #1
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 02-03-2016 at 05:58 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    B.E.S.T. warranty
    I am surprised you still have extended? Mine runs out this month...

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad to hear that the source of the codes was found and fixed!

Spyder Garage

Arrow Post Resurrection

Back story for understanding time line, and why I'm taking the time to document this problem.

We have and ride more than one bike. Annual mileage varies but generally 10K plus, each(x3 bikes). So, when something crops up that's a difficult fault to isolate, months can go bye. That's exactly what has happened here. P0174/P0171 code(s) appear, dealer troubleshoots, replaces something, clears code, and we ride until it comes back again, then repeat. And, if it's out of warranty......it generally will be be on your dime.

Sixteen months after my first post about P0174/P0171 the problem has not been resolved. Here's a list of actions to date.

Dealer visit #1
    System wiring harness was replaced - $600.00 parts and labor - still under BEST when fault code(s) appeared but, wiring harness was not covered by BEST.

Dealer visit #2
    Vacumn hoses replaced and zip tied - $100.00 parts and labor. Not covered by BEST (old hoses were OK but the Tupperware was off and they aren't that expensive).

Dealer visit #3
    Currently waiting for Fuel pump/fuel level sending unit to be replaced. Fuel pump $500.00 labor $350.00 dollars. Because the problem began while still under BEST, BRP is supplying the fuel pump - "Good Will". Thank you BRP

The reason I'm documenting this problem is because it appears to be one of the more difficult problems to isolate. A search of the codes above will fairly well prove that point. Along with that, few people finish off a post with what corrective action resolved their P0174 or P0171 issue.

Here's a list of what can cause the P0174/P0171 codes.

CRACK IN THE THROTTLE BODY TO MANIFOLD BOOT
    DEFECTIVE 02 SENSOR
    PURGE VALVE
    FUEL FILTER
    CANISTER
    VACUMN HOSES
    FUEL PUMP PRESSURE TO LOW
    BAD INJECTOR
    THROTTLE BODY DEFECTIVE
    DIRTY OR DEFECTIVE MASS AIRFLOW SENSOR

More to come - as it happens
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 03-15-2017 at 12:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

Your year had throttle body issues. I am surprised they have not replaced the TB yet for this.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Arrow Surprised - me too

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Your year had throttle body issues. I am surprised they have not replaced the TB yet for this.

Bob
    Bob,

I mentioned that to the service manager. He asked where I got such information? Forums? Followed by, we've never replaced a throttle body(he's been there a few months) if that's what you want us to do, we'll do it(on your dime). Per him, their diagnostics will identify the problem. In support of the tech who's actually doing the troubleshooting. He is working with BRP and they together called the wiring harness(which as noted - didn't fix it). Now, after the tech took numerous wire readings(no fault found) BRP is advising tech it's likely a bad spot in the tank level sending unit.

Me, at this point I'm keeping my mouth shut, my credit card at the ready, and riding the Spyder around the block until I know it is capable of returning to LD trips.

I still love the Spyder. It's simply a fun and enjoyable platform. So, I keep the faith.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the updates. Please keep us informed. Not fun when the $30K machine don't work properly and the dealer does not seem to be to helpful.

I had "hot start" issues with my 2010 RTS and the dealer did a fix on the TB's. No further issues. And yes, we both know there were TB bulletins out back in 2011 and 2012.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Angry I said I'd keep this updated - and here's the latest

After having fuel pump/sending unit replaced.

First 150 miles and all was well. Picked my girlfriend up for a ride to Big Bear😊 10 miles down the road - 160 miles since bringing the Spyder home and BAM - the P0174 code strikes again. To say I'm pi..ed would be an understatement. I'm honestly at my wits end. And, it is not the techs fault. He has been moving forward in the diagnoses of this problem with BRP tech support at his side through the entire process.

This problem started 18 months ago. There have been more miles put on this Spyder going back and forth to the dealer, than there have been recreationally. By a count of probably 10.

BRP
    World Class Touring Bike

My A..!

Spyder Garage

Default February 1, 2015 - a date to remember

Got a call from my dealers tow guy this morning. He would like to pick up the Spyder(in house tow vehicle). So I prepared the Spyder for the open trailer 100 mile tow and while doing so - found the windshield motor bracket cracked(not all the way through - yet). 30K of use and it has never been in the full down position(Oh the joys).

The latest round of troubleshooting - of the recurring cause of P0174, P0171 & P160E codes will begin on Tuesday. Am told there is a tech who fly's out on cases like this, but it's not feasible for him to do so in this case. So he'll be assisting by phone.

When it all started - codes and dates:

First P0174 code > Feb 01, ’15 - P0174 code

First P160E code > May 8, ’15 - P160E code

Every coded event(too many to bother with here) including these are supported by dealer repair orders, a BRP case number, and my personal notes(which I keep on each bike owned).

Dale & Peggy say

FEEL FREE AND CONFIDENT

Are you spending most of your time on the road having a good time?

I say

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Hope you and your Dad share many more miles and smiles

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I am sorry you are having so many problems with your spyder. That really sucks! If it was mine, I would have burned it by now. I commend you for sticking in there and trying to get the problems fixed. Seems like the lemon law would apply in your case, but I dont know what you need to qualify for it. I really think BRP has put way too much technology into the spyders. They are like a cadillac...way too many bells and whistles to break or malfunction. The day my 2014 RT starts giving me trouble, I am sending it down the road. I think they are getting better, especially when I compare my Dad's 2013 to my 2014. The differences are night and day. Everything from quality, to ride, to drivetrain are greatly improved in the 2014. I hope your spyder finally gets properly repaired and you get to enjoy many trouble-free miles. Its no fun when you have to fix them all the time. That is the reason I sold my Harley. I always had to either fix it before I rode, fix it while I rode, or fix it after I rode. I have a 2015 Victory magnum with under 3000 miles and I currently have the top end of the front cylinder torn apart to repair 2 collapsed hydraulic valve lash adjusters( a common problem on the victorys). Luckily its easy to work on. Just waiting for parts. Anyway, good luck my friend.
    Thanks!

Very nice wrap too

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jer,

At the risk of asking something that has been asked before: How much do you trust your Dealership's Service Department?
    It seems pretty clear that what has been tried: just ain't working...
    Perhaps a change of venue would make a difference.

Spyder Garage

Exclamation Something ain't working - that's for sure

Jer,

At the risk of asking something that has been asked before: How much do you trust your Dealership's Service Department?
    It seems pretty clear that what has been tried: just ain't working...
    Perhaps a change of venue would make a difference.
    Bob,

After reading this list.

Ball joints - replaced

Front wheel bearings - replaced

Radiator fitting broke during service (known problem) - replaced radiator

Water pump leaking - replaced

Fuel lines at the fuel pump all leaking at fittings(major leaking) - replaced

Shift trigger failing - replaced

For 18 months now - repeated P0174/P0171 lean fuel codes(repeated problem). Actions taken: Replaced wiring harness(did not fix), replaced good vacuum hoses with NEW vacuum hoses(did not fix), fuel pump/sending unit replaced(did not fix).To date over a $1000.00 out of pocket trying to solve the problem. Plus more 200 mile round trips to the dealer than I can remember.

Bent drive pulley(rear). No frigging idea how it could have happened - unless it was defective since new, or something happened when the dealer replaced the rear tire, one - of the last two times. The one thing I know for certain is I damn sure didn’t bend it.

Clutch replaced @ 29,500 miles 4/28/17. Started showing signs of slipping over a year ago. First replacement clutch from BRP had warped plates, finally got it right with the second clutch pack.

May 5, ’17 - preparing the Spyder to be trailered to dealers and found the windshield control bracket is cracked. 30,156 miles.

Would you say it's a dealer/tech problem?

Or a product problem?

Last edited by Jeriatric; 05-16-2017 at 10:59 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm saying that it could be a combination of contributing factors...
    Eliminate the ones that you can!

Spyder Garage

Smile What facts?

I'm saying that it could be a combination of contributing factors...
    Eliminate the ones that you can!
    You should run for office