Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Governors

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're over-thinking what is a very simple concept...
    The ECM isn't a governor:
    1. It does far too many things, to be dismissed in such a way
    2. It Never limits your speed (At least not until you're up against the rev-limiter, and this is done for completely different reasons)
    3. Based upon your description of what they ECM does to "regulate" the speed to what we desire: that very same description applies to a carburetor with any form of device that controls how much fuel it feeds into the engine.
    It could be a twist-grip, and thumb-throttle, foot-pedal, a column-mounted lever... they ALL regulate speeds.
    Based upon your very description: the only governor on our bikes: is us!
    (Which is pretty accurate! )
    Simply put:
    Governors are used to set a top speed limit for a vehicle (The Spyder DOESN'T have one!)
    and rev-limiters keep the engine in one piece!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 01-29-2017 at 10:16 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ralph12345678910 View Post
    My dealer told me can am spyder on my 2015 sts are governed to 130 mph. This spyder has a 998cc engine, does anyone know if this is true. I will never get to this speed just wondering if it is true
    I have had my 2013STS to 110 that was all it had.
    2013 sts , Pure Magnesium

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ralph12345678910 View Post
    My dealer told me can am spyder on my 2015 sts are governed to 130 mph. This spyder has a 998cc engine, does anyone know if this is true. I will never get to this speed just wondering if it is true
    Let's just say it one more time, and then give this Dead Horse a bit of a break...

B.S. Meter.jpg
    There has never been a speed-limiting governor on ANY model Spyder of ANY model year... EVER!
    Are we clear on this?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Let's just say it one more time, and then give this Dead Horse a bit of a break...

B.S. Meter.jpg
    There has never been a speed-limiting governor on ANY model Spyder of ANY model year... EVER!
    Are we clear on this?

Well that's not true.

In the context of the original posters question. There is no governor limiting the maximum speed in normal operation. Maximum speed is limited mostly by HP and wind resistance.

There is a speed limiting governor in relation to one of the the several limp home mode states.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nobody was discussing the parameters that were invoked in a situation where systems were compromised...

That's a necessary feature of the bike's safety systems, and it's presence is inarguable.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 01-29-2017 at 12:31 PM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You're over-thinking what is a very simple concept...
    The ECM isn't a governor:
    1. It does far too many things, to be dismissed in such a way
    2. It Never limits your speed (At least not until you're up against the rev-limiter, and this is done for completely different reasons)
    3. Based upon your description of what they ECM does to "regulate" the speed to what we desire: that very same description applies to a carburetor with any form of device that controls how much fuel it feeds into the engine.
    It could be a twist-grip, and thumb-throttle, foot-pedal, a column-mounted lever... they ALL regulate speeds.
    Based upon your very description: the only governor on our bikes: is us!
    (Which is pretty accurate! )
    Simply put:
    Governors are used to set a top speed limit for a vehicle That is only one of their uses, and only when that is in their design. (The Spyder DOESN'T have one!)
    and rev-limiters keep the engine in one piece!
    I can't resist!!!!!!!!!!!!

From this page: https://mechanical-engg.com/blogs/en...peed-limiters/

Assume a driver running a car in hill station, at that time engine load increases, and automatically vehicle speed decreases. Now the actual speed is less than desired speed. So driver increases the fuel to achieve the desired speed. So here, the driver is a governor for this system.
    And from this page: http://www.dieselserviceandsupply.co...Governors.aspx

Diesel Engine Generator Governors

Diesel engine generator governors are sometimes referred to as the speed controller for thediesel engine. The diesel engine must maintain a pre-determined speed to maintain generator output specifications. If the engine speed is not correct the generator will not maintain the required output specifications.

This article will explore the different types of governors equipped on diesel generator sets.
    Governors can be divided into two basic groups:
    • Mechanical/Electrical Control – Older generator sets utilize these control systems. Fuel system is controlled by mechanical governor.
    • Electronic Control – Newer generator sets use an electronic control system. This system interfaces and controls engine and generator control functions to provide a constant, reliable power source.
    Here's what Briggs and Stratton says on this page: https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na...or-system.html

The governor system is like a cruise control system. It maintains the speed of your lawn mower or outdoor power products. When Briggs & Stratton governors are adjusted properly, they keep your speed steady regardless of engine load - the amount of work the engine must perform.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What's your point?
    Other than agreeing about the driver's role as a governor: your other two quoted statements simply do not apply to the Spyder.
    (Diesel generators and lawn mowers: "C'mon man...")

"
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 01-29-2017 at 06:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

What's your point?
    Other than agreeing about the driver's role as a governor: your other two quoted statements simply do not apply to the Spyder.
    (Diesel generators and lawn mowers: "C'mon man...")

"
    My point is a governor is not just a speed limiting device as you are wont to say, but in the more complete definition it is a speed controller. One of the functions of the ECM, particularly when it is in cruise control mode, is to control the speed of the Spyder. Hence, the ECM is in effect a governor. A governor is any device that responds to an input signal to appropriately adjust the speed of the device it is controlling.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're just playing with semantics now...
    By calling a governor a "controller"; you've opened the definition up to all sorts of non-applying crap...
    As an example: your reference to the cruise control function...
    You're trying to compare apples to earthworms; seemingly because they're both found in an apple orchard.

Spyder Garage

Since we each know we are the one with the correct understanding and the other one is mistaken, I guess we'll just leave this at an impasse!

If this exchange has entertained any other forum members in the least, then all is not lost!

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

best i have done is 104, don't think it could do much more.

Spyder Garage

Only thing I know is our Governor in Michigan sucks. ;-)
    Aside from that.... the term 'Governor' has been used for a long time pertaining to speed. I do differentiate a governor from a rev limiter.
    Look at it like this.... a rev limiter handles the front end power output, the governor handles the tail end speed.
    There is no set 'speed' where a Spyder is limited.
    Wind resistance is more of a limit than anything else on a Spyder.
    I've had my 2008 GS up to 128 on the odometer, my Garmin would read that about 5 mph slower. I was not at redline yet... the wind resistance was the main restriction.
    My 2012 RT I hit 116 once but dropped back... was not at redline but it just didn't seem to have any more.
    I 'hear' my 2015 F3 can easily hit 130 and have plenty more left to go. At least that's what I hear...;-).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    ...Look at it like this.... a rev limiter handles the front end power output, the governor handles the tail end speed.
    There is no set 'speed' where a Spyder is limited.
    Wind resistance is more of a limit than anything else on a Spyder.

I 'hear' my 2015 F3 can easily hit 130 and have plenty more left to go. At least that's what I hear...;-).
    How about what you see: at least for this set of circumstances?

https://youtu.be/oXHBVv-pKyc

Spyder Garage

How about what you see: at least for this set of circumstances?

https://youtu.be/oXHBVv-pKyc
    Meh... he's a wuss and backed off. I know for a fact that 130 + is obtainable.... know of some saying 140.
    I guess the wind resistance is the real governor.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Own 3 Spyder now, the fastest was a yellow & black Rt. Had her up to 120mph. Made it from Wheeling West Virginia to Brunswick Belle Vernon, Pa. Carrying a 14lbs bowling ball in the front. 30 min total travel time.

Spyder Garage

Don't be driving faster than your TIRES are rated for....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PapaHotel View Post
    Don't be driving faster than your TIRES are rated for....
    Or faster than your Guardian Angel can fly...

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the entertainment.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    Thanks for the entertainment.

https://youtu.be/kC6CX326b3I

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

God was with me that day, for sure. You see I was running late for my church bowling league. Spyder handle great !

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    Rev-limiter or governor... tomato tomato...

1. A governor, or speed limiter, is a device used to measure and regulate the speed of a machine, such as an engine.

Basically a rev-limiter produces the same results as a governor, so what difference does it make if someone calls it a governor? Most adults understand what a governor does.
    "The purpose of communication is the transfer of thought from one person to another. As long as you understand what I meant it matters not what was said."
    Ok, most people agree with that, but the English teachers always object, so let us find out who is a school teacher here.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Never mind what I said: you knew what I meant!"

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

B.S. Meter.jpg
    Are we clear on this? [/QUOTE]

Bob, that is absolutely NOT TRUE. Last year at a campaign rally here, our Governor saw me standing beside my Spyder, and Governor Kasich asked if he could sit on it and get a picture, he did.

Therefore, there has been at least one Spyder model that did have a Governor on it for at least a brief period of time!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post

That brings up another tidbit of info. A friend of mine has a 2017 RT. He told me max speed is higher in 5th gear than in 6th gear. Engine does not have enough power to get the same speed in 6th.

Have you found the same to be true for your 2014?
    The same is true in most 4 wheel vehicles--My Acadia Denali cuts out at approx. 108 speedo in 6th & I've hit 112 speedo in 5th gear. That's how the Suzuki Hayabusa gets tricked out its top speed limit. an $80 accessory named "TRE"(Timing Retard Eliminator) tricks the bike into thinking it's in 5th gear which has no top end limit. With ECU flashing one can throw out all the add-on's & do everything via ECU flashing. No more Power Commander, shift delay time, top end timing, etc. Keeping the A/F ratio in proportion is significant for long engine life. You wanna use NOS--back out 3-4 degrees timing on the upper RPM or the valve seat melts & fall out of the head. this timing retard can also be done mechanically via changing the size(width) of the timing pick up pin. I haven't done any engine modifications on the F3's. It will never be fast. As in all vehicles engine modifications require a balance between the ECU, fuel jet sizing, heavier valve springs, porting, endless stuff including tranny output shaft, but projects are fun--unfortunately fairly expensive.
    Last edited by Wildrice; 02-12-2017 at 06:54 PM.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black