Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Inaccuate Thermometer Reading

Anyone have an inaccurate thermometer reading on their dash? I've been riding to work the last few days and my dash digital thermometer has been reading 40-50 when it was in the 30's. My Spyder is grage kept so I wonder if it is reading the garage temp and just takes awhile to adjust to outside. No big deal, just wondering.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actually; that reading was never meant to reflect the actual temperatures in which you ride.
    The sensor is up under the bodywork, and takes it reading from there in order to give an accurate number to the computers. That way, the fuel mixtures can be properly set.
    Remember; it's the air temperature from where the air is being drawn, that matters!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Temps....

The placement of the sending unit is to blame. It is more for the temp of the air flow to the throttle bodies than what you are feeling. It picks up a lot of road heat and you will find that in the summer months it will read well above the temp your feeling. Asphalt tends to be very hot in the summer and still warmer in the winter. You can get a little stick on temp guage for your dash if you want the real temp and check the wind chill chart for your travel temp...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Actually; that reading was never meant to reflect the actual temperatures in which you ride.
    The sensor is up under the bodywork, and takes it reading from there in order to give an accurate number to the computers. That way, the fuel mixtures can be properly set.
    Remember; it's the air temperature from where the air is being drawn, that matters!
    Thanks...You learn something new everyday. I was just riding and freezing my rump this morning and saw it said 45 degrees. I said to myself, "self, there is no friggin' way it is 45 degrees out here." But I was listening to tunes and the roads were wide open due to no one working in the DC area and I was happy.

Happy Thanksgiving

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    The placement of the sending unit is to blame. It is more for the temp of the air flow to the throttle bodies than what you are feeling. It picks up a lot of road heat and you will find that in the summer months it will read well above the temp your feeling. Asphalt tends to be very hot in the summer and still warmer in the winter. You can get a little stick on temp guage for your dash if you want the real temp and check the wind chill chart for your travel temp...
    Nah, Its not that big of deal. I am brand new to this Spyder thing so just trying to learn about my equipment.

Happy Thanksgiving

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Truthfully: BRP should never have put that reading in the display...
    If they wanted an accurate thermometer for our use; it would have required another sensor, that was mounted in a completely different place...

Spyder Garage

Whew, good thing they did not place it under the seat.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by armyspydervet View Post
    Thanks...You learn something new everyday. I was just riding and freezing my rump this morning and saw it said 45 degrees. I said to myself, "self, there is no friggin' way it is 45 degrees out here." But I was listening to tunes and the roads were wide open due to no one working in the DC area and I was happy.

Happy Thanksgiving

No one ever works in the DC area

Anonymous
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post

Anonymous
    That is not too far from the truth, my friend.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't remind us about it... We're all trying to get our "Holiday" on; right now!

Spyder Garage

I note it takes about five miles to go from garage temperature to outside temperature. The gauge is always about two degrees different from those time/temp signs and always a degree or so different than the other . Strictly a "ballpark" gauge--sort of like the gas gauge.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My observations have been that it does reflect within a degree or two the actual air temperature, but it is very slow to respond to changes, like on the order of 10 to 15 minutes. In the sun it will show well above ambient due to the tupperware heating up. I had times when I got a check engine error after being parked for awhile because the temp was showing 120+ in sunny 105°F weather.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Anonymous
    HEY, that was my line.

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Aw come on folks, we only paid $25-30K for these things, how can you expect to have an accurate temp gauge, or clock, for that matter.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Default Is anyone there

Anonymous
    ever truthful?
    Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Spyder Garage

Default Temp Guage

My experience with my 13 RT-S has been about an 8 degree difference (higher) on the gage when compared to actual. I too got the "check engine" thingy (technical term) last Sept. when I rode from San Diego to Las Vegas. The big thermometer in Baker CA. showed 110 and the bike said 128. The Spyder does not like that! Once I got going though it came down some and the light went out. Maybe that helps, maybe not, but ride anyway!

Spyder Garage

Next you'll be asking for an accurate fuel guage.
    and if BRP gives you that, you'll expect an accurate clock, and a useful speedometer.

You see how this would be a corporate slippery slope. I think you should trust your skin sensations.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

I thought mine was pretty close until yesterday when the high was 52 and it was reading in the mid/upper 60's.

Spyder Garage

Noted, nothing has a correct reading on my RS-S. Speedo 3 mph low, temp out side temp high, clock too fast, and who knows how much fuel on board?
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since it's Thanksgiving...

I am thankful for the VERY accurate fuel gauge, that BRP equipped my 2014 RT-L with...
    It is by far; the most accurate fuel gauge that I've had in ANY vehicle that I've ever owned!

When the low fuel light comes on; I know that it'll take just over 5.5 gallons of fuel!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Truthfully: BRP should never have put that reading in the display...
    If they wanted an accurate thermometer for our use; it would have required another sensor, that was mounted in a completely different place...
    It sounds like it's an in-process metric that only the systems need. If there's a problem (process result) that's what we'd want to know.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Mine is fairly accurate, but as noted, is slow to react. However, the clock is horribly inaccurate and needs to reset every month or so.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Since it's Thanksgiving...

I am thankful for the VERY accurate fuel gauge, that BRP equipped my 2014 RT-L with...
    It is by far; the most accurate fuel gauge that I've had in ANY vehicle that I've ever owned!

When the low fuel light comes on; I know that it'll take just over 5.5 gallons of fuel!
    Is that the in dash gauge, or the cluster digital gauge? If you remove the in dash gauge is the digital one just as accurate? I would think it would be, but just wondering.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)