Spyder Garage

Default Trans Labrador Hwy

Has anyone been down this highway in Labrador with their Spyders. i know part of it is gravel and that is what I am worried about. plan on going next year. i have the belt guard and skid plate. i have searched the internet and cannot find any write ups or pics of spyders doing this road. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lois

2015 Pearl White RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did some research for the 2017 Epic Adventure & couldn't find much. I believe it's mostly gravel. You may want to research fuel & lodging availability, too.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lois35 View Post
    Has anyone been down this highway in Labrador with their Spyders. i know part of it is gravel and that is what I am worried about. plan on going next year. i have the belt guard and skid plate. i have searched the internet and cannot find any write ups or pics of spyders doing this road. any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Lois
    2015 Pearl White RT Limited
    No Spyders but here are some things to read:

http://www.tlhwy.com

Here are just a few quotes from that website:

"From a practical point of view, the highway consists of two parts as well: paved and gravel. And after traveling the entire route from Baie Comeau to Goose Bay and back on about 1600km of gravel road, you will never again take paved roads for granted!!"
    "From Baie Comeau to Manic 5 (212km) the road is paved, but it is twisty, narrow, and very hilly, with no real shoulder. No gas until the Manic 5 dam, 212km to the north.
    Please remember above all, that although the Trans-Labrador Hwy has been rebuilt as a modern gravel road, it is still a very remote area, with as much as 290 km between gas stations and other services."
    "This is a raw, purely practical road. It is definitely not a scenic parkway for tourists. The road was built for transportation alone. There are no scenic pullouts, no rest areas, no campgrounds, and very little signage to help guide you. You can camp wherever you want (well, perhaps not officially, but I did), and this usually ends up being in the old gravel pits that were used to build the road."
    "If the road is dry, expect a complete whiteout from the dust after a truck passes you. Slow down and pull to the right as far as you can safely go. This will help preserve your front windshield (from flying stones), as well as keep you out of the way if the oncoming driver does not pull over to their side of the road far enough. And watch out for another vehicle following the first, suddenly appearing out of the dust cloud. Watch for graders that are continually working on the road."

Study the website and investigate the internet thoroughly if you're at all serious about it. There are many trip reports from the serious dirt-bike riders and adventure-bike riders who have done the road and can provide the motorcyclist's perspective. Also note that if you take the ferry from Blanc Sablon across to St Barbe, Newfoundland and ride from there south to Port Aux Basques, you miss most of Newfoundland. In my opinion, that would be a real shame. You're on the northern peninsula when you get off the ferry from Blanc Sablon. Good things there -- go north to L'Anse aux Meadows World Heritage Site where the Vikings landed about 1,000 AD. Very interesting. Then return south past the ferry point and pass thru the fantastic Gross Morne National Park. But then when you hit the TC-1, look at how much of Newfoundland is east of there. The main part of the island. North of the TC-1 on the north shore of the main part of the island are many little seaside towns and back roads. And eventually you can end up in St John's which is a very cosmopolitan city seemingly "at the end of the world". From there, you either turn around and go all the way back across the island (fairly quickly on the TC-1 if you desire) or go SW down to Argentia and get the 14-hour ferry back to North Sydney, Nova Scotia.

If you just go from St Barbe down to Port Aux Basques as described on the website, you miss L'Anse aux Meadows as well as everything in the main part of the island.

There's a good article in the October 2105 issue of Road Runner Motorcycle Touring and Travel on riding the Trans Labrador Highway. Trans Labrador is mentioned on the cover. There's a follow-up article in the next issue on the second part of their journey -- Newfoundland. Very good magazine and these are two good articles.

FYI

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

I've seen pics of motorcycle riders wearing a type of bee-keepers hat in an attempt to keep the voracious mosquitos off.

Good luck if you go, not many do.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

http://www.mensjournal.com/travel/mo...world-20140919

I came across this article, you might find interesting.

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Default Labrador

Spyder Garage

Default ROAD RUNNER

IF ANY MAGAZINE/WEBSITE WOULD HAVE SOMETHING ON THAT RIDE, THESE PEOPLE WOULD:
    http://www.roadrunner.travel/
    GOOD LUCK, AND SEND PIX UPON YOUR RETURN....
    DAN P
    SPYD3R F3-S

Spyder Garage

I don't think her concerns are fuel range, gas stations,motels or even how DS bikes fare, but rather "Is a Spyder RT up for a 260 mile gravel road between Goose Bay and Red Bay, a road consisting of anything from loose quarter-size rocks, 4-8 inch pot holes to 4-6 inch ruts left by graders"? Some of which may or may not materialize depending on the weather at the time she rides across. If there happens to be a solid downpour, add mud to the mix.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tor View Post
    I don't think her concerns are fuel range, gas stations,motels or even how DS bikes fare, but rather "Is a Spyder RT up for a 260 mile gravel road between Goose Bay and Red Bay, a road consisting of anything from loose quarter-size rocks, 4-8 inch pot holes to 4-6 inch ruts left by graders"? Some of which may or may not materialize depending on the weather at the time she rides across. If there happens to be a solid downpour, add mud to the mix.
    The belt may not be. It does not take much to damage it and the sprocket with or w/o a guard.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Agree with the article in Road Runner. It's a very good article. Personally, I would not do it on a Spyder. But that's just me.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

A great road to have an adventure ride. I would not want to abuse my with all the gravel and other perils. IMO--a GREAT ride for an adventure type cycle as they are made for such roads.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Lots of good information given above about the road. Pack smart, carry gas, tools for your Spyder, camping stuff, and food for the journey. Take it easy and you can do it.

Did you know the first Spyder to reach Prudhoe Bay was ridden by a lady? After your ride is done, you can say you were the first Spyder to ride the Trans Labrador Hwy.

You know we'all want pictures of your Labrador adventures...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post

Did you know the first Spyder to reach Prudhoe Bay was ridden by a lady? ...
    Was that you, Joy?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)