Spyder Garage

Default Question about Low Windshield Options

I got a chance to try out an F3 today at the motorcycle show (yes, it rocks). Probably my favorite aspect of the ride (on this unusually hot November day in L.A.) was the very low windshield. The experience of being in the wind on the F3 was exhilarating, and there was really no comparison with the vented windshield on my RT.

I've seen that there now is a short windshield for the RT which is an obvious alternative, but I don't love the idea of changing back and forth all the time, and I like the protection in the evening (and my wife demands it on when we ride together so her head doesn't get beaten up by the wind).

I'm wondering if there an option to add some ability to further lower my vented windshield as it is. I think there is an manual option for the F3 to move the windshield up and down, but since that ability is already in the RT (just not enough range for me), I have no idea if there is an option to add additional movement to the RT as well.

I guess I'm looking for a quick change option on the windshield of some kind.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why not just try the optional 23" RT windshield? You can drop it low for some time out in the wind, and raise it up if the need arises.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I purchased a +4" width windshield for my RT to use in the colder months. So, I took a jig saw and cut my stock 25" shield down to 18". It works great for the summer, and is approx. the same height as the stock shield in the highest position (compared to the stock being all the way down. I now wish I had only cut it down to about 20-22". I think that would be the perfect height. I am looking for another stock shield so that I can cut it down and then I might now be switching shields at all. BTW, in comparison, the short shield on the special series is only 16", and it does not have the 2 openings in the bottom to help with buffetting.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

using a dremel at slow speed with a plastic cutting wheel, I cut my windshield to the exact height I wanted. Put blue painters tape with one edge exactly where I wanted the cut (parallel to the top edge) and took my time making the cut. Probably took a half hour. Then I sanded the edge smooth with bevel with course gradually to fine sandpaper. Came out great.
    let's ride safe & be careful out there,
    Mike in Nawlins'
    2014 Black SE6 Limited "Charlotte"
    New Orleans Ride Captain
    Patriot Guard Riders

Spyder Garage

My challenge is that with a shorter windshield I won't be able to bring it up high enough to keep my wife's head from buffeting at higher speeds. Not only is she higher than me on the rear part of the seat, but she has a few inches on my height to start with.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LOWERING OPTION

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    My challenge is that with a shorter windshield I won't be able to bring it up high enough to keep my wife's head from buffeting at higher speeds. Not only is she higher than me on the rear part of the seat, but she has a few inches on my height to start with.
    I get your meaning ......I gave this some thought also and have had the entire thing apart. The amount ( distance ) that the arm moves the windshield, is not adjustable. So even if you changed the size of the arms and modified the plastic to suit, that ARM begins and ends it's movement set by a computer or circuit board.......Mike

Spyder Garage

I'm wondering about an aftermarket solution. An additional manual extension to allow movement, or perhaps a windshield extender of some kind that adds on quickly (I think something like that came up in a thread recently, but I can't recall any details).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Something like this?

http://www.laminarlip.com/
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks, everybody, I think this is what I was looking for:
    http://mra.de/en/x-creen/

I never would have found it without the prompts from all of you and Bob's very similar suggestion. Does anybody have experience with these?

Spyder Garage

Default RT windscreen

Check out an RT-S sometime. It is shorter than the limited but does protect me at 5'9" will when raised and let's the wind clear my shield in the rain when lowered.
    Jack & Carol Jo Stewart
    2015 Spyder RT-S SPECIAL
    TBR Slip On Exhaust
    Corbin Heated Lemonster seat with back rest
    Semi Hard Luggage
    BahaRon Swaybar
    JT's Dash Mount
    TricLED Front Fenders
    XenonDepot LED Headlights

More to follow! Lol