Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: heated grips

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    It now occurs to me that there was a mixup on your ST-S at the factory. You had mentioned in an earlier post that you had to add the parts for the cruise control. Cruise is supposed to be standard on the ST-S. But the wiring for the heated grips was already there and you just had to add the switch. Normally the switch and heating wiring kit has to be added. Glad you got it all figured out. I was wondering if you could get BRP to compensate you in some way for having to add the parts for the cruise?
    No sir this bike come from the factory as a non cruise and no heated grips it is the Base Model and Not anything else and BRP did this on many of the STS's

Spyder Garage

Ahh, if you have the base model it is the ST not the ST-S. If you don't have the factory floorboards then for sure it is the ST. But glad you were able to update to cruise control and heated grips for very little cash.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Smile Heated grips

Yellow 2013 ST-S delivered stock with cruise but no heated grips.

I hurried home today and opened my right grip switch housing as illustrated..
    I have the wiring shown in the photos above...
    On Saturday I will test with a Carling switch (if it arrives) or jumper wires.
    Wish me luck...
    Cheers, David C.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by james199 View Post
    ... in 2013 - 2015. Can am put some items on the bikes ( heated grips for instance ) but not the switches that way they could use what they had in the wear house and not spend extra money for each model they had and Can Am used the same wiring harness on all there bikes ( well the ones I have ) and they put the extra switches and do-dads on the Limited's but did not on the lower end bikes ( ie cruise, heated grip switches, radio and speakers etc ) Now for the cruise I just needed the right hand switch housing from a RT ( I did it and it WORKS AWESOME ) the heated grips ARE ON THE BIKES FROM THE FACTORY and the wiring too I just need the switch ( I have one coming ) the Radio has ALL the wiring I just need the radio unit ( I'm in the hunt for that ) There is a few other things I have done to my wife's 2013

I know I'll be checking out my grip housing for this plug on my 2014 STS. I am looking for the Radio also. $709 is just way out of budget.
    Thanks for your info.

Spyder Garage

Those are not the heated grip wires. They are the wires for the right hand controls.

I took mine apart to show that those wires are not connected to the grip.

In this picture you can see the harness containing the grip heater wires plus others going into the right grip.

Here is a picture I found of the heated grips online.

Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Troll

I agree. This guy is either trolling the website or he actually thinks he now has heated grips just because he installed a switch. Either way, I hope people don't start ordering switches and taking their bikes apart because of this post.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

He also stated that he had an ST-S and added the switch for the cruise control. If he had the ST-S the cruise would be standard. He would also have factory floorboards. I wonder if he will post back to admit he was wrong about the heated grips? We probably won't hear back from him again. I'll bet his wife is upset that she still does not have heated grips!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid

Spyder Garage

Default Floorboards

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    He also stated that he had an ST-S and added the switch for the cruise control. If he had the ST-S the cruise would be standard. He would also have factory floorboards. I wonder if he will post back to admit he was wrong about the heated grips? We probably won't hear back from him again. I'll bet his wife is upset that she still does not have heated grips!
    he may not have the floorboards if the STS is manual. I have a 2014 STS sans the floorboards. It is a point of contention for me because I can't even add them after the fact. The cruise control is standard. Also, the wiring harness for the heated grips (as well as the fog lights) are there. However, you still need the actual grips with the heating coils.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by armyspydervet View Post
    he may not have the floorboards if the STS is manual. I have a 2014 STS sans the floorboards. It is a point of contention for me because I can't even add them after the fact. The cruise control is standard. Also, the wiring harness for the heated grips (as well as the fog lights) are there. However, you still need the actual grips with the heating coils.
    Well if those wires aren't for the heated grips, I'm not taking my bike apart to find out. I figured the wiring harness is standard and has the accessory plugs ready to go.
    I have floorboards and cruise control, just not the radio. When I bought my bike, the mechanic telling me what all the bike does told me it has the radio but wasn't turned on. It just needed an antenna and speakers.
    I told him I doubted BRP would add that radio module without the antenna and speakers. The computer doesn't even see the radio module. I don't know what he was thinking.

I'd like to add the OEM radio but not for their price.

Spyder Garage

​Armyspydervet I stand corrected. I forgot that the ST-S manual has no floorboards. Thanks!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid

Spyder Garage

Default Radio

Quote Originally Posted by IVSSpyder View Post
    Well if those wires aren't for the heated grips, I'm not taking my bike apart to find out. I figured the wiring harness is standard and has the accessory plugs ready to go.
    I have floorboards and cruise control, just not the radio. When I bought my bike, the mechanic telling me what all the bike does told me it has the radio but wasn't turned on. It just needed an antenna and speakers.
    I told him I doubted BRP would add that radio module without the antenna and speakers. The computer doesn't even see the radio module. I don't know what he was thinking.

I'd like to add the OEM radio but not for their price.
    I added the OEM radio. I overpaid because I paid for installation. I watched him do it. Once the radio harness is installed, the dash will recognize the radio.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Default No heaters in the grips

2013 ST-S SM5
    I pulled my grip housing open and found all the wires posted in the pictures.
    I also have a Carling switch that fits the connection socket. After plugging in the switch and connector I can report NO JOY!!
    I was hopeful but do not have heat...
    Cheers, David C

Spyder Garage

Question

What if you accidentally switch on your electric brakes while driving down the road trying to turn on or off your heated grips? The thought entered my mind while going to church this morning with my winter gloves. Has this happened to anyone here?
    The thought of the spyder coming to a screeching halt when I and those around me are not ready scared the hell out of me. Please tell me the nanny wont let that happen.
    Last edited by AY4B; 12-06-2015 at 02:11 PM.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Question

What if you accidentally switch on your electric brakes while driving down the road trying to turn on or off your heated grips? The thought entered my mind while going to church this morning with my winter gloves. Has this happened to anyone here?
    The thought of the spyder coming to a screeching halt when I and those around me are not ready scared the hell out of me. Please tell me the nanny wont let that happen.
    My 2012 RT will not go into park while moving, I have to be real close to stopped before it will engage.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    2013 ST-S SM5
    I pulled my grip housing open and found all the wires posted in the pictures.
    I also have a Carling switch that fits the connection socket. After plugging in the switch and connector I can report NO JOY!!
    I was hopeful but do not have heat...
    Cheers, David C

Notice he hasn't been back in here to comment. He has no heat.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Just poped on to see whats going on and yes grips are working but like I said your bike might not have them. And as far as the cruise control Every can am that doesn't have it from the factory ( any 2010 - 2014 ) can have them ie st ,rt and rs as all it requires is right hand grip switch housing that has the cruise control button as the computer is what controls the cruise... But I realize there will be those who say no and it cant be and to them I say What ever... I know what I have accomplished and I'm absolutely happy with the outcome. And seeing some of the wonderful comments here I can guarantee I will not give out any more free information or cheap hacks.

Marry Christmas.

Spyder Garage

Placebo effect.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid

Spyder Garage

Default Does any one have the part number for the complete assembly heated grips

I got this part number from BRP site # 219400509 but i go not know if its for my 2013 sts.

Thanks,

Spyder Garage

I added the factory heated grips to my ST. The wires for the heat pads run from the outside of the grip into a small groove cut into a short black piece (6") of round bar that is bolted to the main handle bar. You cannot see this piece until you take the bars apart. After exiting the black round bar, the wires run behind the plastic backing of the aluminum portion of the handle bars. Then over the right side of the bike where they plug into the main harness.

By the outside of the grips I mean the portion farthest away from the center of the bike. The wires will be hidden if you take the left hand switch apart as shown in the pictures. You may be able to see heater pad wires by taking the weight off the end of the handlebar.

The wire for the throttle side moves back and forth with the throttle. There is a little slack before it goes into the groove that allows movement. If you have heated grips you can see the wire on the throttle side.

Again the wires for the heat pads run in a groove on the bottom of the handle bar. They are hidden from sight.

In the very center of this pic you can see the black round bar stock. It should have a small groove at the bottom that runs from the outside of the grip to the aluminum portion of the handle bars. The heat wires run through this groove.
    Last edited by Craniac; 01-01-2016 at 05:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Heated Grips

I can verify that the wire harness is there but I did not have the heated grips from the factory. I lucked out and came across a set very cheap and installed it over the holiday break. They are great grips and I will never go back to unheated grips ever again. I can feel my fingers in the morning when I get to work now. I did end up with an extra switch if anybody is looking to replace theirs.