Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    PS, " griffontamer " said essentially the same thing, but for some reason 007james wasn't offended .....He actually Thanked Her ................ 007james I know whose playbook you are following, I think you are heading down the wrong road ...... Mike
    Mike, quit dodging the bullets and produce your Sheep Skin Credentials and dates of Court cases you were called to be the “Expert” Witness in. As for the Consumer’s Affairs reviews, I thought that they shared honest reports, from Owners and users of tires, among other products, so I was originally shying away from Khumo because of the negative reports. But I later became a Fan of Khumos, but that still proves you jumped my bones as an inocent Newbie to the Forum by your snarky welcome,....”you have already been a member here for 2 days and.....”. You alerted me right away who was the Tire Expert on this forum, and you hadn’t even yet produced your Credentials. But, I’m thru with this tire feud with you. You can have the last word. I am adaptable to changing my mind about most things, as I grow older, log more miles on my Spyders. ( and depending on the alignment of the planets.) but I now have logged about 78,000 miles between my 2012 and 2016 RT Limited Spyders, so maybe you might consider cutting me a little more slack on my Spyder experience since my 27,000 posts and Consumer Reviews comments. It might surprise you, but I have had hundreds of different experiences riding my Spyders that I haven’t posted every little detail about in order to log up numbers of posts here in order to make my self look important . I am not selling any thing here, so don’t have any dogs in the race other than camaraderie. No doubt, no Elder Member here is brave enough to try to knock you off the top of your Tractor Tire Light Tower in case some Newbie wanders in here sharing his/her Tire inflation or Brand preferences or experiences.
    Last edited by 007james; 09-02-2018 at 02:00 AM.
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 007james View Post
    Mike, quit dodging the bullets and produce your Sheep Skin Credentials and dates of Court cases you were called to be the “Expert” Witness in. As for the Consumer’s Affairs reviews, I thought that they shared honest reports, from Owners and users of tires, among other products, so I was originally shying away from Khumo because of the negative reports. But I later became a Fan of Khumos, but that still proves you jumped my bones as an inocent Newbie to the Forum by your snarky welcome,....”you have already been a member here for 2 days and.....”. You alerted me right away who was the Tire Expert on this forum, and you hadn’t even yet produced your Credentials. But, I’m thru with this tire feud with you. You can have the last word. I am adaptable to changing my mind about most things, as I grow older, log more miles on my Spyders. ( and depending on the alignment of the planets.) but I now have logged about 78,000 miles between my 2012 and 2016 RT Limited Spyders, so maybe you might consider cutting me a little more slack on my Spyder experience since my 27,000 posts and Consumer Reviews comments. It might surprise you, but I have had hundreds of different experiences riding my Spyders that I haven’t posted every little detail about in order to log up numbers of posts here in order to make my self look important . I am not selling any thing here, so don’t have any dogs in the race other than camaraderie. No doubt, no Elder Member here is brave enough to try to knock you off the top of your Tractor Tire Light Tower in case some Newbie wanders in here sharing his/her Tire inflation or Brand preferences or experiences.
    Wow, straight and to the point!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

PS, " griffontamer " said essentially the same thing, but for some reason 007james wasn't offended .....He actually Thanked Her ................ 007james I know whose playbook you are following, I think you are heading down the wrong road ...... Mike
    Mike, the difference is in the tone. It's very difficult to accept your opinion when it is tinged with sarcasm all the time.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

ConsumerAffairs and Consumer Reports are two different companies.

Spyder Garage

Default Time

What am I missing here. This thread skips from 11/22/15 to yesterday 9/1/18. This does seem a little snarky.

Spyder Garage

Default Why James is the Original 007 James, and all ofhers are Wannabies!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Wow, straight and to the point!!!
    Thanks, Mikey. We Mainers gotta stick together! I notice your a Mainer. Well, so am I, born and raised there, until leaving at 17 to join the USAF. Before 1973, the first 3 digits of U.S. Social Security Numbers defined the States the Owner lived in when being assigned the SS Number. Maine was 007. So Maine issued my 007 Licence to,.....WORK, and my parents issued my Name of James. I have had a lot of fun with that , for the James Bond fans, when I claim to be the only real Deal original 007 James. I also lived in Conn. for 18 years, then So. California for 31 years before retiring to Virgina. People are the friendlist in the South, of any where I have ever lived. Every body acknowledges each other by waving, even the Fedex and UPS trucks, Mail Carriers, Garbage collectors, Seniors, Children, and even the dogs are friendly.

Virginia is for Lovers, so I no longer work. I just ride and argue on forums. HaHa.

Cheers,
    007 James
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Using a 'rule of thumb' like that one Bike-O-Din is a great way to make sure that YOU get your tire pressures right for YOU, the way you ride, your loading, the roads you ride on etc, and it's easy enough to be repeatable, readily understood, & applicable to pretty much any vehicle too! However, your guide is only ALMOST right - you got the add & minus pressures the wrong way around!!

If the pressure goes up by more than 10%, your starting pressure needs to be HIGHER, not lower as you mention in the bit I made bold in the quote above!! That's cos lower pressures will let the tire flex more & therefore make the pressure increase greater, which is the opposite of what you want if the increase is greater than what you want. There's some good explanations on the why's & wherefore's of that to be found if you want to google it.

Conversely, if the pressure does not go up by 10%, you need to DROP your starting pressure rather than add as you mentioned in the bits I made italics in the quote above; same reason tho, just the other end of the measuring stick - lower starting pressure = more tire flex = greater pressure increase once warm... which in this case is what you do want to achieve. ;-)

The tire industry uses a variety of these 'rules' to work out the optimum tire pressure, altho the rules vary a little depending on the specifics of the particular vehicle use. The one I grew up with was known as 'the 4psi Rule' - instead of aiming for 10% increase in tire pressures, it aims for a 4psi increase (if you want to know more, google it!) But they are all basically aimed at achieving the same thing & they all produce very close to the same results anyway.... ie, the tire people looking after race cars & bikes might use anything between 3psi & 10psi increase or anywhere from 4-5% thru to 15% increase, or they might even look for a similar tread temperature % increase evenly across the tread face, but in reality they all aim to achieve a set pressure or temperature increase in the tire from cold start temps to operating temps (increases in tire tread temps mean increases in tire pressures)

But the critical thing to remember about all of these rules/methods is that if your pressures increase by TOO MUCH from cold, you must ADD PRESSURE to your cold starting pressure to make the resulting pressure/temperate increase LESS once the tire is warmed up; while if they increase by NOT ENOUGH from cold, you must SUBTRACT PRESSURE from your cold starting pressure to make the resulting pressure/temperature increase MORE once the tire is warmed up!

As for the pressures YOU arrived at for you, your bike, & your riding etc, they won't necessarily apply to anyone else - what your guide or the 4psi Rule or any of the other techniques out there arrive at is really only applicable to the rider/driver & their vehicle, their general use etc. So no-one else should (or can really) rely on your pressures being right for them, just like the 'compromise' recommendation on the vehicle placard isn't ever going to be right for each & every rider/driver out there - those recommendations are a good start point but just don't take into account all the variables that can impact on what the OPTIMUM pressure is for any specific tire on a vehicle ridden/driven by a specific rider/driver of any specific vehicle on whatever roads they ride/drive on - so each of us really should work out our own OPTIMUM tire pressure for each tire & vehicle we use, ideally using one of those repeatable 'rules' mentioned above or one of the others that can be found amongst all the tire industry documentation that abounds on this sort of thing!
    Well, well, well. Thanks BK911 for resurrecting this thread.

I did this very thing when I was working through my higher than groupthink tire pressures. Measured heat signatures and took PSI readings every 20-30 miles for an entire weekend of riding.

I couldn't agree more with the above statement:

"...so each of us really should work out our own OPTIMUM tire pressure for each tire & vehicle we use, ideally using one of those repeatable 'rules' mentioned above or one of the others that can be found amongst all the tire industry documentation that abounds on this sort of thing! "
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    Well, well, well. Thanks BK911 for resurrecting this thread.

I did this very thing when I was working through my higher than groupthink tire pressures. Measured heat signatures and took PSI readings every 20-30 miles for an entire weekend of riding.

I couldn't agree more with the above statement:

"...so each of us really should work out our own OPTIMUM tire pressure for each tire & vehicle we use, ideally using one of those repeatable 'rules' mentioned above or one of the others that can be found amongst all the tire industry documentation that abounds on this sort of thing! "
    I agree. Most enlightening discussion on proper tire pressure to date.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default 4 Psi

Did a little of that today and looks like the rear is running low and the front is running high. Seemed to handle pretty good with two up. But did seem to go from under steer to over steer in hard curves. Wonder what it will be like when I get it rite? Will I like the way it handles? We will see.